• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

A Newbie's AAR Introduction to HPS ACW Campaign series
03-05-2009, 04:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-05-2009, 05:42 AM by mntineer.)
A Newbie's AAR Introduction to HPS ACW Campaign series
A Newbie's AAR Introduction to the game,
as written by a semi-newbie

Introduction to the Dance.

Here's a newbie's introduction to the HPS Civil War Campaign series and a "rolling" AAR of "Probing Westward", a 27-turn scenario from HPS Sims' Campaign: Gettysburg. My opponent, Bluto, picked this out from my suggestion that we do a 25-35 turn scenario from the list. This was easier said than done with Campaign: Gettysburg, where most scenarios are in the 50+ turn range. "Probing Westward" is a tough scenario for the Confederates by looking at the Scenario Database on the Blitz site. The scenario table listed all past games as won by the Union players. In this game, Bluto has taken the Confederate forces and I have the Union.

I've played Bluto in one other game, Campaign: Atlanta, and the results were disasterous for me playing the Union. I was way too aggressive, and my casualty victory points quickly racked up in favor of the Confederates, whose forces were smaller, better quality and even better played by my opponent. Although I captured many VP areas, the 10,000+ casualites and very sloppy play with my artillery were destined to lead to a very Major Union Defeat. I turned this into a learning lesson for myself, and I was determined to apply lessons learned from Bluto in our next game.

This AAR is written from my (the Union) perspective, which is also from the viewpoint of a player still learning the ropes of the HPS Civil War Campaign games. My many trip-ups during the course of the game will also be duly recorded. :) I'll post as the game progresses, but without giving away my strategy to my opponent.

Give me a hollar on this thread if you have something to add, or want me to add something more. Please hold off on any strategy tips for the scenario!! I want to screw-up on my own. :) I'll post as the game progresses.
Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2009, 05:39 AM,
RE: A Newbie's AAR Introduction to HPS ACW Campaign series
Being a total newb to this series of games i look forward to seeing how you get on in your brave endeavor.

Best of luck.

cheers
03-05-2009, 05:53 AM,
Me too. I love the Civil War, and happen to be a huge fan of HPS Simulations products, so naturally the ACW series by HPS is always a consideration for me. So I will be following with great interest.
03-05-2009, 07:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-05-2009, 07:19 AM by mntineer.)
Thanks for the encouragement! :happy: Hopefully this will come off as an interesting lesson for newbies, and hopefully encourage some more interest in the ACW games. :chin:

Fubar Wrote:Being a total newb to this series of games i look forward to seeing how you get on in your brave endeavor.

Best of luck.

cheers
03-05-2009, 09:20 AM,
I agree with SG and Fubar. I like following AARs. I don't have the knack to write one myself or the time to even try to with so many games going at once, many in the ACW series. I think there are a few things that I would like to see reviewed for change tho.

1) I'd like to see all the games get patched up so the supplies move the same in all the games. Some move on dirt roads like paved roads, in other games they move on dirt roads like it was cross country. It makes it difficult to do things when you want to but can't because you are still waiting on supplies to catch up.

2) I'd like to see fatigue recovery done faster. In some of the games, I have units in high fatigue and are basically useless for the rest of the scenario because it takes so long to recover even with the faster recovery rule.

3) I'd like to see the rule for inf not being able to melee cav while it is mounted. In one game, I lost a stack of arty to a cav charge because I didn't have an inf unit stacked with them. The cav was hidden and my opp charged and took the guns. I don't see that as gamey, even tho I don't think that happened much because I did leave them with inf in adjacent hexes, but not stacked with them. That was my fault, I didn't think he was that close. In reallity, if that happened and neighboring rgts were ordered to retake those guns, I'm sure they would try whether the cav was mounted or not. As the game stands, the cav has an advantage by staying mounted. They will get shot up, but most likely still able to spike the guns and run. The adjacent inf has no chance to counterattack and retake the guns. Maybe there could be a rule for cav owner to set for his cav unit or units that if counterattacked they either dismount and fight or beat a hasty retreat maybe suffering a shot or two from the attacking inf. The damage is already done because if you want to use the guns, they have to be recrewed thus losing inf strength to man them. Just an idea.
03-06-2009, 12:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-06-2009, 01:44 AM by mntineer.)
The Promenade.
(Pre-game commentary)

In HPS games, especially with CW Campaign series and Squad Battles, you need to be very aware of victory points to be successful. Although it's nice to hit VP objectives on the map, that's not necessarily what wins the games. As a matter of fact, capturing on-map objectives often seems to be the icing on the cake. The meat and potatoes of your VPs come from inflicting damage on your opponent's forces. You've got to be aware of your unit VP costs, and plan your strategy accordingly. Capturing the on-map objectives, retaining your own objective areas, inflicting casualities on your opponent with as few casualities as possible are your goals. Sounds simpler than it really is. One game I played recently was teetering on the edge of a victory for my side, I was inflicting damage on my opponent and had an objective in my grasp. Then I got too brave with some of my artillery, and left it exposed and within attack distance of my opponent. He swept in, captured it, was able to hang on to the on-map objective I was trying to capture and pulled out a Minor Victory in the end. I came to quickly realize that artillery wasn't equal to infantry in point value, and it cost me the game.

Before moving any units, I scan the map first making note of terrain (high ground especially), identify all objectives and their VP value and then inventory my forces. Also, a quick glance at the bottom of the window tells me that it's clear and visibility is 70 hexes, much more than the range of artillery and great for long distance observation from the high ground. On this map, you've got to look hard for the high ground - it's not easy to see at a casual glance.

[Image: AARvisiblehex.jpg]

The scenario on-map objectives for "Probing Westward" are few. The Union player maintains initial control of one Confederate entrance/exit worth 1000 VPs on the northeastern edge of the map. Additionally, Sharpsburg, a town located in the central portion of the map, is a Union objective worth 500 VPs, and another Confederate held exit point worth 1000 VPs is on the north central edge. The Confederates must hold the town and Union exit point and/or recapture any Union-held exit points. Needless to say, victory points (VPs) are also awarded with inflicing casualties on the opponent's forces. The one thing I didn't realize until the first engagement was the weight of VPs between CS infantry vs. US cavalry, but more on that later.

As the Union player, I have many unit types at my disposal. In my last game with Bluto, I was very lax at inventorying my forces. Not knowing what units I had on hand impeded any good decision making on my part. As a result, I had never seen so many of my units rout and scatter! This time, I'm taking the time to note unit quality, movement and range and preparing my strategy accordingly.

My initial force inventory includes cavalry and artillery. Infantry and more artillery are scheduled to come in on the following turns. In this scenario, the cavalry and artillery are first on the map.

[Image: AARcavalry.jpg]

As a general note, cavalry has great movement (24 hexes), but their combat range is limited (3 hexes), unit size is generally smaller than infantry units (often company or battalion strength), and are worth 2 VPs for every man. You do not want to tangle with any sizable infantry formation.

[Image: AARarty.jpg]

The artillery is what you need to keep your eye on. In this scenario, there are two types of artillery; light and horse. Light has a movement factor of 12 hexes, but your horse artillery has a movement factor of 24 - enough to keep up with your cavalry. Or more importantly, enough movement to grab some dominant real estate and set up in the same turn. Both have the outstanding range of 21 hexes. I'm making it a point to keep like artillery together. This was one of many mistakes in my Atlanta games, where I was lumping 21 and 13 hex range artillery together with horrible results. As far as VPs are concerned, any capture or destruction of your artillery en masse can be a game-killer, but the same goes for your opponent.

Now for my first move...
03-06-2009, 12:31 AM,
HiHi

Just a quickie to wish you "Good Luck" with your AAR, they are Hard work & or time consuming, but interesting to do, from my (very) limited experiance of doing them I would just suggest, don't be rushed, do it in your own time else it can get on top of you.

While not a HSP fan (love the concept can't stand the graphics) I will follow this with interest.

All the Best
Peter
03-06-2009, 01:53 AM,
Again thanks for the encouragement, writing this AAR is a fun experience, and helps me add to my learning of the game because I'm analyzing my moves as I write.

As for HPS games, I admittedly have had to adjust since I started out as a Combat Mission junkie. But in the foggy past, I was an Avalon Hill/SPI/Yaquinto boardgame junkie, and so the adjustment wasn't so great. Now, I've really started to appreciate the HPS offerings and really enjoy playing them now.

The other Kingmaker Wrote:HiHi

Just a quickie to wish you "Good Luck" with your AAR, they are Hard work & or time consuming, but interesting to do, from my (very) limited experiance of doing them I would just suggest, don't be rushed, do it in your own time else it can get on top of you.

While not a HSP fan (love the concept can't stand the graphics) I will follow this with interest.

All the Best
Peter
03-06-2009, 04:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-07-2009, 12:59 AM by mntineer.)
The Grand March.
(Turns 1-3)

In the first turn of "Probing Westward", the Union forces have already entered on the northeast Confederate exit point on the Boonsboro-Shepherdstown Pike and on a couple more roads to the south. On the first turn, the bulk of the Union force is Buford's cavalry division, under the overall leadership of Gen. John Buford, and some horse artillery units in tow:

[Image: turn1_north.jpg]

Southwest of Keedysville, Confederates also appear as a blocking force just east of Pry's Ford. This force consists of two regiments of infantry and a couple sections of artillery covering the roads leading west.

Further south, on the eastern side of Elk ridge, the southernmost Union cavalry column, lead by Gen. Thomas Devin is opposed by three regiments and three sections of Confederate infantry and artillery:

[Image: turn1_south.jpg]

Your most important tools are your Corps/Division commanders and the "Visible Hexes" button (I call it the LOS button) on your top menu. These are your intelligence gathering devices that enable you to see as much as the battlefield as you can. Using the LOS button allows me to spot the hexes that have the greatest LOS. A high spot with great visibility is a precious asset, and once found, I place command units on it so I can spot the enemy and place hold potential artillery positions.

[Image: AARFOW.jpg]

[Image: AARcommand.jpg]

I realize that even the best spotting position has its weaknesses, and you're not going to see the entire map. In my Atlanta game with Bluto, I found that he was very adept at spotting my command units and artillery and "walking in the fog", keeping out of sight and forcing me to guess where he was at what strength. In short, he took away my intelligence gathering, and then used it against me. In this game, I decided that I was going to turn this tactic against him.

But my problem was that there are no free unit commanders, so my immediate plan is to run some artillery up to the foot of Elk Ridge. This way, I can still spot the Confederate forces and do some damage. I'm pretty confident that no Rebs are hidden on Elk Ridge and Starr's cavalry is screening the road below.

My goal is to force his infantry and artillery out of both positions by Turn 3, but I'm not worried about engaging his forces at close quarters. I'll use my artillery's longer 21 hex range to accomplish that feat. My assumption is the Confederate artillery is comprised of old smoothbore Napoleons with a range of 12-13 hexes. My main goal in the next few turns is to combine my two cavalry columns in or near Porterstown, and keep pushing the Confederates to the west.

On Turn 1, I drive the bulk of my cavalry coming from the northeast edge of the map down the Boonsboro-Shepardstown Pike. This brigade column is commanded by Col. BF Davis, and has Gen Buford in tow. To counter Bluto's cannon and artillery near Pry's ford, I shake out and unlimber my artillery, spotting a placement hex just outside of Keedysville. Another column of cavalry, lead by Major SH Starr is crossing Little Antietam Creek, and is following a road parallel to the Pike. The attached artillery is my designated section to run up the foot of Elk Ridge. Further south, I dismount my cavalry under Gen. Devin and start pushing the blocking force there. I try to ride to the flank of his infantry, intending on dismounting somewhat to the rear of his position.

In turn, the Confederates quit their positions and go westward. I realize Bluto is consolidating his forces, and my guess at the time is that he's going to try to hold the bridge at Antietam Creek to prevent a quick push into Sharpsburg. My artillery near Keedysville takes some toll on the Confederate infantry as it moves from its position and heads west. In south, the Rebs do the same, bugging out and head west.

On Turn 2, I decide to change the mission of Davis' brigade. The bulk of his force, without the artillery, will scout out the territory west of Antietam Creek and see what forces are near Sharpsburg. The scout will cross Antietam Creek at Upper Bridge. Meanwhile, the forward elements of Starr's brigade run into trouble just east of Porterstown and dismount. The situaton at the time appears workable, and I guess it's a rearguard that is screening the Confederate retreat to Antietam Creek. Starr's artillery is making its way to position. In the south, I reorganize Devin's brigade to pursue the Rebs through a gap in the ridge. The good news is that Generals Reynolds and Doubleday's Divisions are on the map and moving.

On the Confederate turn, things get a bit dicey for me. Starr's dismounted troopers (elements of the 2nd, 5th and 6th US Cavalry) become isolated as Confederates come out of the woodwork. They were hiding in the "foggy areas" ready to pounce. A grinding combat follows, and about 30 troopers become casualties, in exchange for 20 Rebs.

[Image: AARisolated.jpg]

A desperate rescue happens on Turn 3. My isolated cav units are relatively large, so I was able to trade some effective volleys with the Confederates. The 1st and the remainder of the 2nd US Cavalry following up the rear dismount and flank one of the Confederate regiments surrounding the isolated cavalry. The exchange costs the Rebs some considerable casualties, and on the Confederate turn, those units Rout to the south, breaking the isolation.

The Confederate replay shows Bluto is prepared and a command unit is able to move to and begin rallying the routed troops. It is always good policy to have command units hang back from a battleline, rather than be part of it. This way they still exert some influence on your units in battle and Routed units can be caught and rallied quickly. Additionally, commanders that are KIA are costly in VPs. I make sure to put commanders to work at every opportunity.

A quick look at the VP log tells me that I need to disengage as quickly as possible. While the casualty rate was almost even (around 80 men), the VPs from my cav indicated 144, while the VPs were at 34 for the Confederate infantry.

The good news is that my cavalry is on the outskirts of Porterstown fairly intact and Confederates are heading westward. Reynolds and Doubleday are coming along swiftly and should be in Porterstown in the next turn.

To the north, Davis' scout is west of Antietam Creek and making its way to the Hagarstown-Sharpsburg Pike, and to the south, Devin's brigade is entering the gap in pursuit of the Confederates escaping toward Sharpsburg.

The beginning of Union Turn 4 looks like this:

[Image: turn4_north.jpg]
03-08-2009, 08:01 AM,
This is making for great reading, keep up the fantastic work.

It's making me want to give Campaign Peninsula another go. :whis:

:bow: