• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

multiple game installations
03-02-2009, 12:11 PM,
multiple game installations
I'm trying to install the same game more than once on my system for testing different PDTs and OObs, but when I insert the game CD, it won't install because I already have it installed once. How can I have more than one version of the same game on my system at the same time? I have renamed the existing directory of the game in my "C" drive and that doesn't help. It still won't allow a second installation.
Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2009, 01:38 PM,
RE: multiple game installations
When you use the scenario editor you reference the files you want to use; why do you need to install the disk more than once?

Marquo
03-02-2009, 01:51 PM,
I'm not sure I understand your question. I don't plan to use the scenario editor. I plan to use the PDT editor and the OOB editor to try various settings and evaluate their impact on the existing scenarios.
03-02-2009, 03:11 PM,
I think Marquo's suggestion in detail would be to create different versions of a scenario and use the different files that you are wanting to try. However, I have done what you want to do here, for more of a backup reason, along with what you are trying to do, on a scenario I worked on where I wanted to keep a clean version and a test version.

It is actually simple, and you are close with what you did renaming the program folder. Instead of renaming the folder you installed to, just copy and paste the entire directory folder, making a second copy - rename it to what you want the second one to be, and setup shortcuts to the game and various editor exes in the new folder, then you can use those shortcuts when you want to use that verison of the game.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
03-02-2009, 04:10 PM,
Tom:

I haven't read all the stuff the others posted but what I do when I need something like this is.

Install the game once
Copy - (NOT MORE or rename) to a second folder - call in GAME X
Remove the game from the original folder
Reinstall the game

You now have two copies of the one game in two different folders.
HOWEVER as you have already found only the one in teh default game folder name works. So when you want to switch - rename the default game folder to have a _Default in the folder name

Rename the ODD or ALT copy to have the real default game nume folder.

...that should work for you.

Glenn
Send this user an email
03-02-2009, 07:40 PM,
Have done this procedure a few times to install mods like Afrika at War, Vietnam, and Jarama etc.
1st create a new folder in a location of your choice, then rename it to whatever you wish, say for instance " WW3 ".
2nd open up the DF'85 folder and select all ( at this point everything within the folder will be highlighted ) copy to the new " WW3 folder ".

When you wish to run the " WW3 " game use this method, ( the disc must be installed ), on the bottom task bar select START then RUN from the menu, then click BROWSE and locate the " WW3 " folder and click or doubleclick ( can't remember which ) on the DanubeFront 85 icon within the " WW3 " folder, this will transfer the " EXE " start to the RUN dialog box.
Click run or is it start in the dialog box and the game will fire up.

Hope this helps, any problems don't hesitate to drop me a line.
03-02-2009, 11:38 PM,
I got it going...thanks everyone! :bow: