• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Disruption recovery
02-28-2009, 09:41 AM,
RE: Disruption recovery
There was something in the newest update to one of the games about a unit having to be in command range of their HQ, (not detached) in order to receive replacements. This is a new rule and has not yet made the rounds to every title.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
Quote this message in a reply
02-28-2009, 10:19 AM,
OK, that explains something because the issue of being in command range often didn't seem to matter, but then I thought it might just be another one of those things I thought I saw.
03-02-2009, 12:35 AM,
Liquid_Sky Wrote:Yeah...I know for sure you have to be in your command range of your parent HQ...it doesnt have to be In Command though. I think your right about the patrolling unit receiving replacements. Think I noticed it once myself. And I am playing the Germans in Normandy, on turn 83 :) and I have a fair bit of wrecked flak units that are waiting for Army Group B to show up as that is their parent HQ.
Okay, I did a test on the unit being in command range, based on knowing that for years this was not needed. In my test, I setup an HQ with a command range of 5 hexes, then placed 2 subordinate units within the 5 hex range, and 2 more placed about 20 hexes away, thus out of command range. I also set the HQ to a 1 man strength. For the enemy side I added 2 units at 1 man, without an HQ at all, meaning they should automatically be in command range.

Ran the test, and the units outside of command range recovered losses just fine, as well as the units in command did. The HQ did also, and the enemy units without an HQ recovered losses.

I believe the confusion here, and is what Dog Soldier brought up, is that there is the new replacement rule, which allows a formation to have a replacement rate added to it in the OOB, in addition to the loss recovery that all units get. This is a new rule, not used in any PzC standard scenarios that are out as far as I can think of. This new rule does require the units involved to be in command range to get its replacements, but again does not apply to the old fashioned loss recovery - there is no need to be in command range to recover losses, per the original and still normal method of regaining strength.

Just remember, there is loss recovery, works as it always did, and the new replacement rule, which has a lot of different requirements to it.
Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
03-02-2009, 06:50 AM,
From the Jan 09 patch list of changes....

Changes for El Alamein '42 1.05
- Change so that Disrupted units do not receive replacements and
Detached units receive replacements at one-fourth (not one-half) the normal rate.

So the new rule is referring to replacements not loss recovery as Rick pointed out, if your unit is out of the command range of the its parent HQ i.e. (detached) then the replacement rate is affected.
03-02-2009, 03:59 PM,
hmmm...I just had a look..and for the last 40 some odd turns, my flak unit has been sitting behind my lines at 8 out of 12 vehicles, Low Ammo/Low Fuel. It's parent HQ is a Army Group B (Normandy44), which has yet to arrive on the battlefield. It has a quality of E, so perhaps its just a very small percentage of recovering a loss. So my observation could be in error from the rules.

On an aside....I have noticed that Replacements make a huge difference to loss recovery. I have divisions with 2% replacement that grow to full strength in the time they recover their fatigue. Even 1%, and after two days my unit is at full...

Of course, not all titles allow you the luxury of resting behind the lines like Normandy does...
03-02-2009, 04:11 PM,
I guess it depends on what you are playing too. If you are playing an _Alt campaign, particularly N44_Alt, I use the new replacement feature. The notes document state why and for what.
Send this user an email
03-02-2009, 04:28 PM,
Yeah, I bank on knowing what units get back replacements and use them in combat more, because I know I can rest them and regain strength.

Okay..I ran my own test....set up the same flak unit, at the same low ammo/low fuel status, and at 8/12 vehicles.

After 10 turns, I went to 9 vehicles. After another 20 turns, I went to 10. SO you do get recovery (The replacement rate is zero for the flak unit), albiet very slowly for this particular unit. So I suppose its just been a random number thing. I do have some units that have been digging in for 4 days (and accumualting fatigue every night) that have yet to finish their improvement into a trench, so I know its possible :)