• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Kursk '43_Alt updated (14 FEB)
02-17-2009, 06:40 AM,
RE: Kursk '43_Alt updated (14 FEB)
VM,

Thank you for updating this scenario. I do have one observation though. The German artillery gets' their behinds kicked at the start of this scenario as they aren't dug-in.

Was this the case? I find it hard to believe that Ivan was building pill-boxes and bunkers day-in and day-out and the Germans didn't bother to dig ramparts, etc., for their vulnerable artillery.
Quote this message in a reply
02-17-2009, 06:56 AM,
I believe this is both historical, and reasonable, although not an expert on the artillery. The books I have state that the Soviets dropped a lot of artillery on the Germans in general anyway, prior to the actual attack launch. Also, I believe the German artillery had to redeploy forward to be in range of some of their targets - maybe not all artillery units but some. In that case I would expect they had prepared but unfortified postions prepared for the artillery that did move up into their attack firing positions, rather than being in a heavily prepared defensive position.

I could be wrong on both aspects, but that is my understanding at least.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
02-17-2009, 08:31 AM,
Well yes, it if was historical than I say let it be. But I think we're also talking about a major play-balance issue.
02-17-2009, 08:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-17-2009, 08:57 AM by Volcano Man.)
I don't see where the Russians can kick the German artillery unit's behinds. The Russians must be firing everything they have at the German engineers to get them to disrupt, in order to delay the German speed in which they clear the minefields and blow holes in the AT ditches as long as possible. If they are firing artillery at German guns then, well, they are ignoring the bigger threat. If you are just opening the scenario file and looking at it though then you will get the wrong impression.

But yes, there is a historic element to this, the Germans had to deploy the guns forward enough to cover their targets for the attack. That said, anything that can be considered "pro-Russian" is desired here as well. The German side isn't the one that needs its hand held at start -- there is no play balance issue here (or at least not a negative one).
Send this user an email
02-17-2009, 10:06 AM,
i would love to play gmen, Big Grin
02-17-2009, 11:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-18-2009, 05:37 AM by Bushido.)
Gents,

I will follow up this titanic Kursk battle with detailed sit. reports. all of course seen from the glorious Red Army's side.

I will start it at the OPS AAR/DAR Forum.

DT and I will hold a superb turnaround maybe 10+ turns a week.
02-22-2009, 10:49 AM,
i can play, prefer gmen

Krec
02-22-2009, 11:25 AM,
Bushido Wrote:Gents,

I will follow up this titanic Kursk battle with detailed sit. reports. all of course seen from the glorious Red Army's side.

I will start it at the OPS AAR/DAR Forum.

DT and I will hold a superb turnaround maybe 10+ turns a week.
Look forward to that, some screen shots would also be nice to illustrate your comments. :bow:
02-27-2009, 04:10 AM,
Wow what a differance! I use to think the Germans had tons of extra engineers but not any more.
02-27-2009, 07:35 AM,
Yeah, no kidding. Take care of those engineer units! :)
Send this user an email