• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

AP/HE ammo ???
02-03-2009, 03:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-03-2009, 03:54 PM by RERomine.)
RE: AP/HE ammo ???
seabolt Wrote:
Walrus Wrote:In the edn you can right click them and get the info you need, so

The point is that if you stack them 3+ deep, targeting a tank among several trucks in a single hex is very difficult. You can't right-click then left-click real quick. And the T hotkey is going to cycle through several units with nearly identical to hit percentages.

Let's play a match and I'll show you! ;)

-- 30 --

Units in a hex are stacked in the hex based on their formation letter/number. The unit in with the highest formation number is the northern most unit in the hex. As the formation letter/number increases, the unit is further south. If five units are in the same hex and they are B0, B1, C2, E3 and F2, they will be stacked from north to south in that order.

Why is this important? The T hotkey will reference them in the same order in a hex. The first unit it will pull up is B0, the northern most unit. It doesn't matter if they are all called "vehicle". Obviously, we won't know what enemy formation letter/numbers are, but the computer always will. Changing the unit name won't alter the formation letter/numbers. So, B0 is a truck, B1 is a truck, C2 is a tank, E3 is a jeep and F2 is a tank destroyer and they are all called "vehicle", but you want to hit the tank, it will be the third one in the hex targeted. Changing unit names may be gamey, but isn't as effective as you would think, IMO :)
Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2009, 10:49 PM,
Why'd you go and tell them that? Here I am trying to goad them into buying lots of trucks to use this trick not knowing I know how to counter it! :whis:
02-04-2009, 12:20 AM,
Are you sure I did it? I might have changed my name Big Grin
02-04-2009, 01:04 AM,
RERomine Wrote:Are you sure I did it? I might have changed my name Big Grin

LOLBig Grin

Cheers
Michael
02-04-2009, 02:14 AM,
;)
Walrus Wrote:Actually, your team is very lucky to have a coach that operates at your level of intensity.

Is it really intensity to observe and analyze one's environment? If a guy with military bearing is wearing an untucked shirt, I check him for a weapon. If a panel truck or larger in front of me veers left, I check ahead for the possibility of a sharp right turn. And I don't get blown into giblets if I fail to observe something ... assuming it's not the wife's birthday, of course.

Narwan Wrote:Why'd you go and tell them that? Here I am trying to goad them into buying lots of trucks to use this trick not knowing I know how to counter it! :whis:

And you would, too. ;) That workaround makes sense obviously, but I think that opfire the previous turn might spoil it, yes? The hotkey targeting cycle would begin on the previously targeted item, IIRC, not on the item highest in the opponent's OOB.

-- 30 --
02-04-2009, 02:45 AM,
Vesku Wrote:And yes, I do think that renaming is gamey, very close to cheating.

Iwo Jim Wrote:Cheating......Really? "All war is deception" - Sun Tzu :stir:

Walrus Wrote:Now we are getting into an interesting discussion Big Grin

I used to rename units. Not for ages now.
I name my Commander "Walrus" and occasionally call a unit "legend" or something when it has done something amazing.

I think stacking units called "vehicle" is a bit gamey.
In the edn you can right click them and get the info you need, so you are only causing momentary confusion.

I don't bother changing names now as I have no time for that.
I used to do it in the distant past as a personalisation rather than a deception.

Interested to see people's opinions on this tactic.

I have not been reading this board that I could say how deep this has been discussed before...

IMHO renaming definately is NOT cheating in SOME cases: say why would it be cheating if you rename your ordinary PzKpfw III to Flammpanzer, a PzKpfw IVd to IVe or an ordinary Soviet infantry squad to Guards infantry?

In real world you could not tell the difference in all cases, that is before you stick your head out of the smoke and dust planning to attack a Pz III at a close range, but get fried by a flamethrowing panzer instead....this make sense to anyone but me? is this not only deception that all war is?

...but renaming everything with wheels or tracks to vehicles is just....ridiculous and very gamey....but of course you can have some fun with those names and not be neither deceptive nor personalizing, e.g. I have renamed (occasionally) the A0 unit as "the Boss", snipers to "peasants" and scouts to "old couples". Once or twice my Kübelwagens have transformed into Volkswagen Golfs.

:stir:
02-04-2009, 03:00 AM,
seabolt Wrote:The hotkey targeting cycle would begin on the previously targeted item, IIRC, not on the item highest in the opponent's OOB.

True. You just have to cycle through until you get to the hex your target is in. Targetting will also bounce to different hexes if they are the same range. If B0, B2, C0 are 10 hexes away, B1 is 11 hexes away and B0 and C0 are in the same hex, the target cycle will be B0, B2, C0 and B1. The first one targetted is B0, it bounces to the hex that has B2, bounces back to the one that has C0 (where B0 happens to also be) and finally B2 (which is farthest away).
02-05-2009, 05:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-05-2009, 05:10 AM by Weasel.)
APCR ammo
I have noted that many tanks in gun penetration table show a APCR penetration (ie T26 PEN 1:6 APCR 9) but the gun doesn't show APCR rounds, only AP rounds. Does the tank come with APCR rounds which are generically counted in with the 50AP rounds the unit shows? If not, why does the tank show APCR Pen values?
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
02-05-2009, 05:22 AM,
RE: APCR ammo
Weasel Wrote:I have noted that many tanks in gun penetration table show a APCR penetration (ie T26 PEN 1:6 APCR 9) but the gun doesn't show APCR rounds, only AP rounds. Does the tank come with APCR rounds which are generically counted in with the 50AP rounds the unit shows? If not, why does the tank show APCR Pen values?

Weapons that can fire APCR are designed with APCR values, but historically they often took the field without any of the rare and expensive tungsten rounds in their loadout. Thus, for instance, a German Mk IV might have no APCR rounds while the contemporary Marder has 3 rounds for the same gun.

-- 30 --
02-05-2009, 06:24 AM,
Or the same unit two years later has couple of APCRs ...
Vesku

[Image: Medals50_thumb8.gif]