• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

AP/HE ammo ???
02-03-2009, 06:16 AM,
RE: AP/HE ammo ???
Speaking of 'battlefield fog'.. (fog of war??).. I once had an opponent rename every vehicle in the game to 'vehicle'.. then he stacked trucks and HT's in with the tanks (in the same hex).. so when my poor troops had to make a decision, they had 2-3 choices of targets in the same hex.. 'vehicle', 'vehicle' or .. 'vehicle'

Now right clicking on each 'vehicle' before shooting was useful only in that you could sometimes identify what was there via the game mechanism.. but trying to target the desired vehicle was more difficult.. I can well remember the many times where my troops would kill the HT or truck, leaving the tank unmolested to scurry away..

Often, I'll do something similar.. for instance right now I am engaged in a 'what-if' USA vs Germany in 1940 - about the time that the Germans ran-over France.. the USA in this period only has tanks based on the early 'Stuart'.. so I thought it appropriate to rename all of my M2A4 Light Tanks to 'Tin Can'.. Big Grin

Cheers! - GReybeard
Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2009, 06:28 AM,
Greybeard Wrote:Speaking of 'battlefield fog'.. (fog of war??).. I once had an opponent rename every vehicle in the game to 'vehicle'.. then he stacked trucks and HT's in with the tanks (in the same hex).. so when my poor troops had to make a decision, they had 2-3 choices of targets in the same hex.. 'vehicle', 'vehicle' or .. 'vehicle'

I am *so* using this in my next battle with Walrus!

-- 30 --
02-03-2009, 06:28 AM,
Greybeard Wrote:Speaking of 'battlefield fog'.. (fog of war??).. I once had an opponent rename every vehicle in the game to 'vehicle'.. then he stacked trucks and HT's in with the tanks (in the same hex).. so when my poor troops had to make a decision, they had 2-3 choices of targets in the same hex.. 'vehicle', 'vehicle' or .. 'vehicle'

That must be the gamiest display of gamey gaming I've seen... :chin:
02-03-2009, 06:33 AM,
Narwan Wrote:That must be the gamiest display of gamey gaming I've seen... :chin:

Did I say Walrus? I wouldn't want you to take that to imply *only* Walrus. ;)

Where's my USMC response, BTW? You having nightmares about my banzai charge?

-- 30 --
02-03-2009, 06:52 AM,
Hmm, that can't be me because I didn't stack my vehicles. I did rename every vehicle "vehicle", every inf unit "men" and every arty piece "gun" when I noticed that you had odd names for your tanks in the first round of ET :)

And yes, I do think that renaming is gamey, very close to cheating.
Vesku

[Image: Medals50_thumb8.gif]
02-03-2009, 11:32 AM,
Cheating......Really? "All war is deception" - Sun Tzu :stir:
02-03-2009, 01:10 PM,
Now we are getting into an interesting discussion Big Grin

I used to rename units. Not for ages now.
I name my Commander "Walrus" and occasionally call a unit "legend" or something when it has done something amazing.

I think stacking units called "vehicle" is a bit gamey.
In the edn you can right click them and get the info you need, so you are only causing momentary confusion.

I don't bother changing names now as I have no time for that.
I used to do it in the distant past as a personalisation rather than a deception.

Interested to see people's opinions on this tactic.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
02-03-2009, 01:12 PM,
Walrus Wrote:In the edn you can right click them and get the info you need, so

The point is that if you stack them 3+ deep, targeting a tank among several trucks in a single hex is very difficult. You can't right-click then left-click real quick. And the T hotkey is going to cycle through several units with nearly identical to hit percentages.

Let's play a match and I'll show you! ;)

-- 30 --
02-03-2009, 01:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-03-2009, 01:33 PM by Walrus.)
I am aware that it would make targeting stacked units quite tricky, and that's why I called it 'gamey" as you are using the mechanics of the system to disadvantage your opponent...rather than just deception and guile.

We'll have to get a game going soon eh so you can show me all these 'lessons'
I'll be sure to wear my special helmet so you can tell what position I play :-)

Actually, your team is very lucky to have a coach that operates at your level of intensity.
What was your win' loss this season?

Gotta run to work (SUCKS!)...will reply later
Cheers
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
02-03-2009, 01:52 PM,
Gun penetration and data tables were provided with many tubes, I have even seen them for US Civil War guns; it was a great big label glued to the inside lid of the ammo caisson, indicating ranges and such of the various ammo.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha