• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Panzer campaigns mindset assistance
03-31-2009, 06:58 AM,
RE: Panzer campaigns mindset assistance
Hi Hank

I am new to the PzC games. I played S41 campaign game as the Germans vs the AI and found the opponent a mixed bag. I some cases it was very tough. One thing I noticed was the AI didnt seem to recognize when it's units were in danger of isolation and in fact sometimes poured more units into an area clearly about to be surrounded. It had trouble reacting when I attacked in places it didnt expect. The grand strategy employed by the AI in the campaign game sometimes didnt match the situation. After 5 days of fighting I had captured Smolensk, destroyed a large part of the Russian forces on the map and cut off many of those left.

From a casualty perspective the Russian (AI) losses were almost 90,000 men and 900 plus vehicles. In contrast the Germans lost 25,000 men and 1000 vehicles. The vehicle losses for the Germans were very high but my inexperience may have contributed to that.

I have heard the AI is better with smaller scenarios where there is not as much large scale strategy to worry about. Playing shorter scenarios vs the AI seemed to bear that out. My play against a human opponent has not yet been successful (2 major defeats) so far. Of course there shouldnt be any expectations that any AI will be as good as a competent human player.

After being owned in PBEM in my short career, playing against the AI is good for morale. ;)
Quote this message in a reply
03-31-2009, 07:21 AM,
Well...I used to play the Normandy'44 campaign game against the computer for a long time, but the game would usually end in the complete destruction of the German army by the fourth day. It was a good way for me to learn a few things about the game, like the layout of the map, the best way to assault, the units/reinforcements available.

Now I am playing the Germans PBEM, and it is a real blast. Humans are so unpredictable! I have learned how long it takes to rest a unit, to regain most of its' strength (I had a battalion isolated, that lost half its strength in an assualt, and two days later, it is in the front line at 97%). I have learned to use the terrain to hide my army, and to use reserves....

In short...the PBEM game is a totally different game then the AI game, and I would rather lose a PBEM game then win an AI one :)
03-31-2009, 08:19 AM,
Liquid_Sky Wrote:In short...the PBEM game is a totally different game then the AI game, and I would rather lose a PBEM game then win an AI one :)

Well said! :)
"I sincerely believe the banking institutions having the issuing power of money are more dangerous to liberty than standing armies." - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Monroe, January 1, 1815.
03-31-2009, 08:59 AM,
The more I play the more I am convinced that the best way for me to play is with an opponent who will play without the SAVE option enabled. This is because it indicates to me that my opponent has the time and mindset to concentrate on the campaign for the time it takes to make the move. I like to block everything else out, go to the "bunker" and make my move. This is a total dedication to the task at hand and I find it very rewarding. My mindsent is total concentration and absorption. I am currently the Allies in a Bulge Campaign (move ~ 60) and I get'er done in 2-3 hours per move.

I have played some campaigns for > 2 years; the next ones I start will be with opponents who like have the time and the will to play several moves per week (3 - 4) no matter the unit density.

Marquo :)
03-31-2009, 09:10 AM,
Marquo Wrote:The more I play the more I am convinced that the best way for me to play is with an opponent who will play without the SAVE option enabled. This is because it indicates to me that my opponent has the time and mindset to concentrate on the campaign for the time it takes to make the move. I like to block everything else out, go to the "bunker" and make my move. This is a total dedication to the task at hand and I find it very rewarding. My mindsent is total concentration and absorption. I am currently the Allies in a Bulge Campaign (move ~ 60) and I get'er done in 2-3 hours per move.

On the other hand my Bolt Out of the Blue turn typically takes 6 to 7 hours. With a wife, kids and a job there is no way to play it without saves on.:smoke:
03-31-2009, 12:24 PM,
I just started a one-on-one PBEM of Zemke's new WWIII mod for DF'85. My first turn as NATO took me in excess of 14 hours. :jaw:

A couple of hours every night for about a week, saves are a must.
03-31-2009, 12:26 PM,
"On the other hand my Bolt Out of the Blue turn typically takes 6 to 7 hours."

Yes; but it is a matter of will Whip

Marquo cheers
03-31-2009, 09:23 PM,
Marquo Wrote:Yes; but it is a matter of will Whip

After a few hours of playing non stop it becomes a matter of divorce :whis: :grin2:
Send this user an email
03-31-2009, 11:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-31-2009, 11:29 PM by Hank.)
Great comments. I'm with several here like FLG; with work, wife and family, sitting for 3 hours or more to make a move is rarely possible. I have to use the save to go do my honey-do's. :-)

I've played for years now and know games against humans are much more enriching and challenging. I've always played pbem games in the 12 to 40 move range. I'm very apprehensive about starting a campaign game against a human because I do not want to be the one to cancel out of a game because of some real life issue; it happens. Or I'd hate to have to tell my opponent I couldn't send a move for a few weeks because I'm sent out of town to some remote location for weeks at a time (which happens). Thus I've decided to just play campaigns against the AI until I feel its competency starts to falter.

I'm having fun with it and that's what its all about for me.
04-01-2009, 03:34 AM,
Hank Wrote:I've played for years now and know games against humans are much more enriching and challenging. I've always played pbem games in the 12 to 40 move range. I'm very apprehensive about starting a campaign game against a human because I do not want to be the one to cancel out of a game because of some real life issue; it happens. Or I'd hate to have to tell my opponent I couldn't send a move for a few weeks because I'm sent out of town to some remote location for weeks at a time (which happens). Thus I've decided to just play campaigns against the AI until I feel its competency starts to falter.

I'm having fun with it and that's what its all about for me.
Hank,
I wish more people had your good sense, too many people take on a CG without ever thinking of the commitment they are entering into! :hissy: