• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Variable Visibility
01-26-2009, 09:19 AM,
Variable Visibility
Can anyone tell me how this works. Did a search in the electronic manual variable visibility, no joy.

Thanks
Quote this message in a reply
01-26-2009, 10:13 AM,
RE: Variable Visibility
Turn it off!......works best that way :-)

VE
"The secret to success is not just doing the things you enjoy but rather enjoying everything that you do."
01-26-2009, 10:46 AM,
Can't...doing H2H testing...designer specifies it.
01-26-2009, 12:54 PM,
Personally, I prefer the variable visibility, although I have no idea how the AI detrmines it. Visibility conditions do change during the day, particularly in the desert.

In very high heat in the desert, you can literally see the heat lines rise from the sand, which obscures visibility to a degree, and would certainly affect range determiniation.

:)
Send this user an email
01-26-2009, 06:36 PM,
It means that visibility has a certain % chance per turn that it will change a hex + or -.

IMO not always realistic but for a night scenario it can be. (think of a night with clouds and moon).
01-26-2009, 08:56 PM,
K K Rossokolski Wrote:Can anyone tell me how this works. Did a search in the electronic manual variable visibility, no joy.

Thanks

Here is from the manual Pages 52 & 53:

Weather (Visibility) – Each scenario has a Weather condition associated with it that limits visibility anywhere from a minimum of 1 (one) hex (if conditions list “night”) to a maximum of 20 hexes (if
conditions are “clear”). A scenario’s weather and visibility limits can be found by displaying the Scenario screen. Weather will not change during the course of a scenario. See the following chart for the list of possible weather conditions and the visibility limits associated with each.
During the course of a scenario where the visibility is set at 19 or below, the computer performs a random check at the beginning of each player turn to determine if the visibility will change. If it does change, it will increase or decrease by one hex to a maximum of 19 hexes and a minimum of 1 hex. At night, maximum visibility still varies, but darkness (how far the unaided eye can see) will increase, decrease, or stay the same. Darkness can vary from 1 to 3 hexes. All of these changes reflect the weather, cloud cover, and other random sighting factors that occur on the battlefield. To determine the current maximum visibility, check the status menu under scenario information or press the keyboard shortcut U to access the Unit Menu; there, current turn visibility is listed.

RR
01-26-2009, 10:39 PM,
And here i was looking at the screen and interchanging with the naked eye....a magnifying glass.......a pair of binoculars ......and a telescope.

thanks for the info :happy: :smoke:
01-27-2009, 07:25 AM,
[[/quote]

I agree with Earl. Turn it off.
But, if the scenario designer wishes it to be used you may just have to suffer with it. Like the old joke, "if you don't like the weather, stick around for six minutes, it will change."

RR
[/quote]

Your statement about it changing in six minutes is exactly why I feel the rule should be used!

- Greg
Send this user an email
01-27-2009, 07:54 AM,
RADO Wrote:Your statement about it changing in six minutes is exactly why I feel the rule should be used!

- Greg

Honestly, Greg, if you like it use it.
When I see "real" weather and visibility change over 250 meters in a six minute period I will use it. Right now, except for violent rain or snow squalls, I do not see the purpose in having visibility change every six minutes. And, for that matter, change randomly so you won't know whether the weather increases or decreases visibility.

Someone also thought it would be a "cool" reflection of "smoke" on the battlefield. But, it does not change just where there is fighting?

Enjoy it. Glad you like it. :)
I believe as Earl does, turn it off. It is useless and silly unless the designer thinks it is "kewl" and should be used to make their design a better, more balanced, scenario. :smoke:
I won't be convinced that it makes the game play "more real".
If they make it so that it continually decreases visibility or increases visibility, but, not a random event and I may rethink it. :cool2:
But, they would also have to expand the parameters of when the change occurs. Like before a full turn but not during each players phase. Is it real that I can see a full mile and you can only see 3/4's of a mile in the same six minutes? :chin:

I'm sure that someone can put on their thinking cap and come up with an excuse for it ... but, it just isn't so, eh? :chin:
At least not in a game with this scale that still is a game, simulation, or someone's idea of a slice of "reality".

I'm glad my single statement sold you on it's use. I'm just happy it is an option. cheers

RR
01-27-2009, 08:27 AM,
RR,

Your statement did not sell me on the use of the rule; real life did. As I stated before, I don't know exactly how the rule works in the game, but in the world in which I live visability changes substantially numerous times over the course of a day. When I lived in West Texas visability changed at the most odd frequencies.

It is perhaps one of the most realistic rules I have seen included, and IMO, not to use it is "silly". Not only have I seen visability change in six minutes, but in the blink of an eye in West Texas.

Regards,

Greg
Send this user an email