• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Coming Soon!
02-14-2009, 10:19 AM,
RE: Coming Soon!
tbridges Wrote:Wow, major changes! Can't wait! :P

It must have been tough to maintain reasonable play balance. It appears that both sides have gained strength. Was it your intention to strengthen one side more than the other, or have you attempted to maintain the balance between the forces that exists in the stock/Alt versions?

I have attempted to maintain a certain balance within the framework of what has to happen. I know that does not answer your question, all I can say is both sides have a lot more units, WP at the start, NATO builds as time goes on. My intention was to see what will happen if there was not an attack from the barracks, but a build up of forces by WP, and a sudden last minute realization by NATO that this was no exercise.
Quote this message in a reply
02-14-2009, 10:22 AM,
Sgt Fury Wrote:This sounds fantastic! Really looking forward to seeing this work. Did you think about adding SAM missle assets to the OB seems like one of the main missing elements in the game (and they are in ME 67)?

How many people would be needed to team game this one?

Fury

I was going to, but did not, because (1) I was not sure what effect they would have on the WP as they advanced from under their SAM sites, and (2) Both sides have a lot of ADA, defense of air units is less. I am not against them, just not sure how they would affect things.
02-14-2009, 10:24 AM,
Lowlander Wrote:Zemke, take good care of yourself, and I wish you a safe return to your wife, family and loved one's.
I'm sure I speak for everyone here at the Blitz.
I have never served in the Armed Forces myself, but have a nephew who was in Iraq and Afghanistan left the forces, and is now working with a security firm in the same war zones.

Thank You Lowlander for your kind thoughts.
02-14-2009, 10:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-14-2009, 10:29 AM by Zemke.)
I am very pleased to announce this will be sent to Glenn's web site tomorrow, he has agreed to host it, and I thank him a lot. After that I am not sure what he needs to do to post it, but I'm sure it will be available shortly after that.

I am sure this scenario will need some tweaking, so once you get look it over for any problems you may see, I will fix as many as possible this weekend before I have to go back to Ft Riley.

http://members.shaw.ca/gcsaunders/welcome.html
02-14-2009, 04:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-14-2009, 04:38 PM by Zemke.)
Finally I will tell some of the really big changes, which many may not like or be comfortable with. When I said this scenario is different, I was not just saying that. There are big changes, this is NOT a "attack from the barracks" scenario, nor does this scenario use the old premise of a defensive NATO victory. So before you go rushing off to download this, be aware of the following.

1. NATO must counter attack and restore the international border to win a minor victory in the game, easier said than done.
2. Movement is NOT based on equipment types any longer. It is based on quality and type of training, doctrine and Staff planning, with 15 as the base value. The line unit average for each nation is: USSR is at 15, US at 16, WG at 17, EG at 16, UK at 15, NL, Danes, and Be at 14, other WP at 14. Recon is faster, combat support units are slower.
3. Hard / Soft Tank Ratings: Certain Non-quantifiable factors were used to determine values, although with a base line value from the stock. These values now reflect certain sighting or training advantages, mostly in NATO's favor. All T-80, T-64, M-1, M-60, Leo-1&2, Challenger and chieftain have a soft range of 2.
4. US artillery is dangerous, WP artillery is plentiful and will be key to offensive action by the WP.
5. NATO moves first, as in BOTB, however there are several deception units already deployed along major routes, in addition to lots of congestion slowing their movement.
6. The turn cycle has 8 turns, with the addition of an additional night turn, allow NATO units with TIS to have an additional night turn, but this also allows units to have an addition turn to rest. In tests continuous attacking will cause lots of fatigue and a high loss rate of tanks, the additional night turn also helps with that.
7. Units don't regain losses as fast as the stock, faster than BOTB, except for B rated and above WP units.
8. By June 15 the front should be stable, and by June 20th NATO should be starting to counter attack, keep that in mind.
9. WP has more airborne units of all types than ever. WP player must study the airborne deployment maps to get the most out of his airborne drops, they are key to making big gains early, which will be needed later in the game. Bottomline, WP must drive as far and as fast as possible and hold as long as possible afterwords.
10. FASCAM is about double what it was for both sides, mostly to last longer but with a suggest house rule to prevent abuse.
11. NATO can attempt to blow bridges on turn one, this will slow the WP down, but at the cost of heavy NATO Engineer casualties.
12. Unit density will be high later in the game, this will help WP on defense.
13. Many rear security units are fixed and do not become un-fixed till enemy contact is made.
14. Most NATO border guard units will die on turn one.
15. WP has increased Engineer units
16. All forces have increased ADA units and capability.
17. US divisions are very dangerous, don't underestimate them.
18. Two sets of identical organizations for major NATO airborne units, with the option to deploy them as conventional reinforcements truck mounted, but they will be delayed if used this way. Both organizations CANNOT be in the game at the same time, only one.
19. Some SF / Spez units are very special, and have ratings far above the norm. Again this is due to unit quality, as the morale rating system was too limiting.
20. America is coming to fight, many US units will enter the game if it goes that long, this game is 360 turns long! NATO will need all that time to retake the border, and fight through the mass of WP units in their way.
21. If the game goes to WMD, then all bets and assumtions are off, I have no idea what will happen....just like real life.

The World War III notes that comes with the scenario explains all the above and in detail, and why it is the way it is....with some suggested house rules.
02-15-2009, 01:25 AM,
Patrick,

I was playtesting a little when suddenly by 6 Jun conditions become snow!, yes, snow, I think something went wrong on weather file.

Bests
César
02-15-2009, 01:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-15-2009, 01:51 AM by Zemke.)
I think you had programed weather on, make sure programed weather is OFF. Spooky had the same problem, and it was the programed weather being on. Seems some of the weather files used had it snowing in June.
02-15-2009, 02:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-15-2009, 02:07 AM by Indragnir.)
You're right. :)

Also, I forgot to ask about Guards Airborne Divisions with HA range 1, is this intentional?
02-15-2009, 04:09 AM,
No that is a mistake, fixing that now.
02-15-2009, 05:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-15-2009, 05:36 AM by Indragnir.)
And Dutch M113-LeoII mixed units? they're HA range 1 also.

Also notice infantry from French Parachute division have defense 16 deployed, is it intentional?