• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Will leaning back against the barn door
01-14-2009, 11:19 PM,
Will leaning back against the barn door
Would like to hear your thoughts on :
Airmoble units attacking a bridge behind enemy lines, with the Helicopter HQ unit remaining in T-Mode protected by a screen of attack helicopters.
Quote this message in a reply
01-15-2009, 09:04 PM,
RE: Will leaning back against the barn door
What no replies, I thought I'd be shot down, hence the heading.

From what I gather the Airmoble HQ's in "Bolt out of the Blue" were given a increased command span as they were'nt envisaged crossing the front line.
So how does a Airmoble HQ constantly in T-Mode supply troops.

A picture tells a story more than a thousand words.

Attached Files
.jpg   HQ.JPG (Size: 466.18 KB / Downloads: 58)
01-15-2009, 11:00 PM,
So how does a Airmoble HQ constantly in T-Mode supply troops.

[/quote]

By helicopter? :cheeky:
Send this user an email
01-16-2009, 03:23 AM,
OK, does the game supply rules model this as the helicopters are tracing a supply route over the frontline.

Or on the otherhand does WARPAC have to guard each and every bridge they cross to prevent gett'in encircled.
01-16-2009, 03:28 AM,
Why don´t you play with "Explicit Supply" if you are worried about airmobile troops running rampant in your rear?

(Hmmm... That last bit might be a bit racy :P)
Send this user an email
01-16-2009, 05:41 AM,
I was wondering if you can make air mobile supply units?
01-16-2009, 08:20 PM,
Dont believe it will help with ur supply issue but going to start testing on some new values for Helos/AC/AAA/Sams this weekend that will leave more helos meeting their maker especially troop carry helos. Yet more adjustments on helos, it has been suggested to remove them or most of them but i dont agree to much with that, just gotta keep tweaking till we can find a good balance.

Aaron
Rangers Lead the Way
01-16-2009, 09:35 PM,
I know noth'in about the game engine and the way it functions, I've got enough problems finding out how the wife works !!!.

But when the WARPAC troops ( para's and airmoble ) come into the game to try and seize bridges, they all land including the HQ.

If the NATO airmoble forces want to cross the frontline to attack a target then they should all land including the HQ.

It's my understanding that by keeping the HQ unit in T-Mode the out of command rule will not click in, including the attendant supply problems.

Of course this does not apply to attack helicopters.

These are terrific games, and maybe there is no need to alter the AAA etc just some basic house rules.

Again if i'm out of order please remove this post forthwith.
01-16-2009, 11:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-16-2009, 11:43 PM by Spooky.)
Well i think that game needs removal of Helo infantry and moveing of Strike choopers into the air strike box. I talked to Tarzoon and he told me he wants to change AAA ratings of units. With current stats i used 11th ACR Cobra Bn and killed off all AAA/SAM units from a Soviet Guards Division. I did not used Air strikes only fired of from the Helo unit at the end Soviet units were

AAA unit 25% left/max fatigue/broken
SAM units one dead the other 1 vehicle left/max fatigue/broken
while the Cobra unit had 57% left with fatigue around 60...

So those units are to strong for my taste:)

They should be used in hit and run attacks or they would be destroyed by SAM/AAA fire while right now no matter Bolt or Stock you can use them to block movement and there is not a thing that can destroy them...
01-17-2009, 08:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-17-2009, 08:10 AM by Kuriltai.)
Quote:Just gotta keep tweaking till we can find a good balance.

Sounds good to me.I think they are reasonable where they are.

I am one of the NATO players in the game although the situation is out of my area.

I think this is just crying over spilt milk.The problem is two divisions were pushed across the river on three bridges with no reserves or troops guarding the crossing sites.Sure the Hq unit should probably land.Small part of the big picture.

Quote:AAA unit 25% left/max fatigue/broken
SAM units one dead the other 1 vehicle left/max fatigue/broken
while the Cobra unit had 57% left with fatigue around 60...

Not exactly an optimum test as Pact Anti-Air units have a considerable range advantage.If they slugged it out at point blank range as the test suggests,I would think your result is reasonable depending on how many turns it took..NATO systems are bagging Helo's at a rate of about one per shot I am guessing.In the situation you are in the game,there are too many Helo's to target and not enough time to kill enough to make a difference.That is a situational problem,not a problem with the game itself.(Do you stack tanks when you attack?)

Quote:Or on the otherhand does WARPAC have to guard each and every bridge they cross to prevent gett'in encircled.

Probably not each and every bridge,but I think these three would have been good choices.