• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Air Combat game for PC
01-14-2009, 03:55 PM,
Off Topic  Air Combat game for PC
Gentlemen:

Does anyone know of a good "Air Combat" game preferably WWI and/or WWII. I just got a Saitek "Aviator" joystick for Christmas and would like to try out a whole new type of war gaming battles. Any help and/or comments would be great... thx.
Good Hunting,
Reddog
Quote this message in a reply
01-15-2009, 12:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-15-2009, 12:26 AM by The Rattler.)
RE: Air Combat game for PC
Maybe check these screen shots out from battle of britian 2 wings of victory....i dont have the game but i did have BOB 1...BOB2 seems vastly improved from that with ongoing updates from what i have heard.....

WW1 i used to enjoy flying corps gold edition but that game is getting on now....but still a gem in my book if you can find it and and are able to run it on a newer PC. There was also a simple option to paint your "flying circus" in colours you preferred.

BOB2 Links :

[Image: image077.jpg]

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1722932

or a video here

http://browse.files.filefront.com/Battle...files.html
01-15-2009, 12:11 AM,
Ooh i found it

Flying corps gold edition :

http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=2922
01-15-2009, 12:59 AM,
For WWII, "IL-2 Sturmovik, 1946". ...any and everything to fly...WF, EF, Pacific. When you learn to take off and land routinely, you have really accomplished something, let alone the air combat. Then there are carriers....sheesh. They really do look tiny from the air...when you find them.

There's a web site...Google "IL2".

Cheers
Curt
Town Drunk
01-15-2009, 01:15 AM,
I used to love playing a WW1 air combat game on the Amiga called "Wings" - anyone remember it? I'd love to see a game out like that, it had a story line type of gameplay similar to what they did in COD2, with aerial combat, bombing and strafeing missions. I also liked European Air War, but that doesn't play on my XP machines any more :(
01-15-2009, 01:29 AM,
Thanks for your suggestions and web links. Looks like I have some hunting to do. From what I've seen on the web there are not too many titles available for air combat... especially for WWI. The majority of the games are from the late 1990's.

Thanks again... Gentlemen. :thumbs_up:
Good Hunting,
Reddog
01-15-2009, 02:41 AM,
While on the subject of Air Combat I came across this great web site called "Flightsim.com" their website address is:

http://www.fspilotshop.com/index.php?cPa...38e6e63168[/url]
Good Hunting,
Reddog
01-15-2009, 02:54 AM,
If you want some great air comabt fun, google Aces High or Aces High II. It's something like 15 dollars a month for 24-7 play. You fly online against other people in arenas that hold up to 700 people with three different countries (A, B and C). There are many planes to fly and several different versions of some. They also have some ground vehicles (couple of tanks, flak wagons, ACs and troops carrying halftracks), there is also base captures, bombers, fighters and c47 transports that will carry supplies for captured bases to bring them to operational status or troops to capture enemy base. At the very least, you have to go check out their website and see all the info I'm talking about. Last I saw, there were many different planes from US, Britain, German, Japan and Russia. And they are always looking to add more. Some really good armchair pilots there. Some play Lonewolf, most have joined squadrons and fly together. You won't be disappointed!
01-15-2009, 01:27 PM,
I will submit a 2nd vote for IL-2. However, that Aces High game looks very, very good.
"And the world did gaze, in deep amaze, at those stout-hearted men, but few,
Who bore the fight that freedom's light might shine through the foggy dew"
-Peadar Kearney, "The Foggy Dew"

01-16-2009, 02:32 AM,
Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote:If you want some great air comabt fun, google Aces High or Aces High II. It's something like 15 dollars a month for 24-7 play. You fly online against other people in arenas that hold up to 700 people with three different countries (A, B and C). There are many planes to fly and several different versions of some. They also have some ground vehicles (couple of tanks, flak wagons, ACs and troops carrying halftracks), there is also base captures, bombers, fighters and c47 transports that will carry supplies for captured bases to bring them to operational status or troops to capture enemy base. At the very least, you have to go check out their website and see all the info I'm talking about. Last I saw, there were many different planes from US, Britain, German, Japan and Russia. And they are always looking to add more. Some really good armchair pilots there. Some play Lonewolf, most have joined squadrons and fly together. You won't be disappointed!
This looks like a great website and the ability to play for free while you're learning is nice. I also found this website which is almost identical and at first I thought it was. They both have very similar formats to play as well as the huge number of options. I'm going to try both.

As for the Battle of Britain game it looks good and at a reasonable price I might check that out as well. Thanks again everyone you have all been very helpful and this is just another great reason for joining the right Club... the "Blitz"! :thumbs_up:
Good Hunting,
Reddog