• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Intelligence in JTCS
01-15-2009, 07:55 AM,
RE: Intelligence in JTCS
Don't we have most of our information wired into the game because it was generated from a board game?
Or, at least board games set the intitial standard for most early computer games?

If you remember board games, there are relatively few that have total fog of war?
It would be interesting to have an extreme/extreme fog of war. I don't think I would like using it, as I don't care for night scenarios as it is.

Not against this as a change but, definately has to be an option? ;)

RR
Quote this message in a reply
01-15-2009, 08:26 AM,
MrRoadrunner Wrote:Don't we have most of our information wired into the game because it was generated from a board game?
Or, at least board games set the intitial standard for most early computer games?

If you remember board games, there are relatively few that have total fog of war?
It would be interesting to have an extreme/extreme fog of war. I don't think I would like using it, as I don't care for night scenarios as it is.

Not against this as a change but, definately has to be an option? ;)

RR

I think this is right...I for one view CS as a board game adapted for the computer...hugely more powerful and flexible, but a board game still.
01-15-2009, 09:39 AM,
I don't know guys, options are well and good, but how many is too many?
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
01-15-2009, 09:45 AM,
Scud Wrote:I don't know guys, options are well and good, but how many is too many?

Start a panzer campigns game sometime. I think they have upwards of 20 + options.

I have no problem with optional rules at all.

Thanx!

Hawk
01-15-2009, 10:15 AM,
Really? I've never played it. Is there a standard configuration agreed to by most players, or does everyone play differently? I would think it would get confusing after a while, especially if you're playing a bunch of games at one.
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
01-15-2009, 10:18 AM,
Scud Wrote:Really? I've never played it. Is there a standard configuration agreed to by most players, or does everyone play differently? I would think it would get confusing after a while, especially if you're playing a bunch of games at one.

You would have to query the boys on the Panzer Campaigns boards to do that. I would suspect that there probably is.

The games are pretty involved with longer turns. I am not sure how many one has going at once.

As for remembering one can pull up the options menu to see what is selected.

Thanx!

Hawk
01-15-2009, 10:29 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-15-2009, 10:31 AM by Steel God.)
Panzer Campaigns (and it's Modern day cousin Modern Campaigns) both have "default" optional rules that represent what the scenario was designed to be played with. You can select the default option by means of a check box at the start of a game and it auto populates. Players generally mutually agree on any optionals beyond those. Like Erik says, remembering is not an issue as it is always viewable via a drop down menu at any point.

Games can be really short (8 to 10 turns) or full campaign games (75 to several hundred turns).

On the subject of intel though, those games are designed with full FoW as default, but you can play board game style with full visibility if you wish, although I have never heard of anyone doing that. Another optional rule is to give recon units spotting advantages when using FoW, so that they have real value for what they are designed for, and not just light weight bullet catchers.
01-15-2009, 01:12 PM,
This is a related idea I have on the visual intelligence factor. I have always thought that a trained recon platoon would have an easier time on the battlefield discerning between 1 and 2 tanks (or 3 or 5 etc. but especially when the number is lower) rolling through an open field. Not always but I think that usually it should be easier to get an accurate count of vehicles and, on many occasions, types of armor. I.E. T-34 vs IS-2. Within reason of course. Just my 2 cents.
"And the world did gaze, in deep amaze, at those stout-hearted men, but few,
Who bore the fight that freedom's light might shine through the foggy dew"
-Peadar Kearney, "The Foggy Dew"