• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Stacking Questions
01-14-2009, 07:03 AM,
Stacking Questions
Not sure I fully understand how various unit conditions affect a stack of units when firing and assaulting. I'm specifically talking about Smolensk, but I assume all the games are the same on these issues.

Fatique and Quality/Morale ratings both affect the entire stack, right? That is, the unit in the stack with the lowest of these ratings sets the level for the entire stack, right?

How about when firing an entire stack of units, one or two of which are "low ammo" and or "disrupted", does the reduced firing power of those units reduce the fire power of the entire stack or only those units themselves?

How about when assaulting? Does the "low ammo" unit in an assaulting stack affect the assault power for the whole stack? Does "low fuel" affect anything when firing or assaulting?

Tom
Quote this message in a reply
01-14-2009, 09:07 AM,
RE: Stacking Questions
Interesting questions Tom. I don't know all the answers on this, but will cover what portions I believe I know.

Fatigue by itself applies only to the unit that has that level of fatigue - as fatigue brings down the unit quality, that will be reflected in assaults with the unit. I believe the worst current morale rating in an assaulting stack is used, but not for the defending stack. So try to avoid mixed stacks when assaulting, especially if the defenders aren't disrupted yet, as the assault will be adjusted based on the worst morale rating of the assaulting units. But when defending it has no impact, as best I remember.

When firing, each unit's fire that is in a stack that is fired all at once is calculated separately from all the others, so firing a mixed stack has no impact on the firepower of the other units.

When assaulting, outside of any impact on unit morale from low ammo/fuel that could result in it being lower than other attacking units, there is no impact on the other units. So if a low ammo unit at C morale assaults with a full ammo unit that is currently at a C also, then they can assault together without any negative impact on the full ammo unit.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
01-14-2009, 09:32 AM,
I am pretty sure the low ammo would only affect the units that were low Ammo.

As a test if you want - set up a Shot or\and an Assault where none of the attacking stack or uits are Low Ammo. Turn OFF the "On Map Results" so you can see the raw numbers.

Try the Shot\Assault and record the numbers.

Then go back into the editor and mark of of the stack as Low Ammo
Repeat and record the numbers in teh dialog - NOT the losses of comabnt result

Go back into the edotor again and mark all the units as low ammo. Try the shot\assault and record the resultant attack numbers (pre result) and see what they tell you.

The numbers should drop from the first to the third test with the biggest drop between test #2 and #3 I expect.
Send this user an email
01-14-2009, 12:15 PM,
Tom,

You asked "Does "low fuel" affect anything when firing or assaulting?"

Defense value is one of the factors used by both sides in the assault resolution calculation and one of the "low fuel" effects is a halving of the defense value (except for dismounted infantry). My semi-informed guess is that "low fuel" status would have a negative effect on any such unit involved in an assault, either as the assaulter or the assaulted.

Regards,

Billie
01-14-2009, 02:11 PM,
The entire stack is not effected by the status of any particular unit. However, when assualting, the worst morale will be used as a modifier, and when defending from an assualt, the best morale will be used.

Units are fired individually as units, even if you select the entire stack to fire. The ones on Low Ammo will just fire less thats all....or add their assault values halved to the stack as a whole....

You can see this if you fire a stack at another and have the more verbose combat results on..it will show you what each unit rolled for its attack...

What you see as the number over the unit is just the sum of all the results.
01-15-2009, 01:49 AM,
Thumbs_Up  RE: Stacking Questions
Thanks everyone, appreciate the info.

The HPS games are awesome, aren't they?

Tom