• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

New Game Review
01-12-2009, 03:36 AM,
Off Topic  New Game Review
***Warning***

The following contains a level of sarcasm rarely encountered here or there!

I have been looking for a new game to play. I like to play games. I like to play with nice folks. So, I googled games and found some good ones. One had a particularlly large following. So I decided to give it a try. The best part is the game is free! Not the best business model in my opinion! I read the rules and gave it a try.

Right away I knew this game needed an overhaul!

The map sucked! Just squares....black and white squares! A hex map would have been better.

The units were ok. Infantry, cavalry, forts, leaders! This I liked.

However, the capabilities of these units were unrealistic! Each unit was limited in the way in could move. Some could move straight up and down, or across the map. Some could only move on a diagonal!
The cavalry could jump over things.......even castles! What the hell!

The leaders were special units. One was even female! I never saw this before! The 'queen' could rampage over the map in any manner.
Except jumping... The king could only move in a limited manner. This must have a women designer!

Combat resolution was a farce! The attacker won every time! Even if the enemy was in good order!

I went on the forum and presented my ideas on how the game could be improved. Those bastards treated me like a total lunatic. They shot down all my ideas. Said I was crazy! They had been playing for ever and liked the game the way it was.

Anyways, I will have to give the game a poor rating.......

Don't even bother playing this crappy game......called Chess.

Rob
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2009, 03:40 AM,
RE: New Game Review
I have an improvement,... what about Fog-of-War, neither player can see more than 2 squares from any piece:chin:
01-12-2009, 04:18 AM,
You should have asked them if they ever play by their optional rules…..like “extreme jumping” or “variable diagonal viewing”. Perhaps their oob files contained units you can't use in the current version also.
Big Grin
Send this user an email
01-12-2009, 07:09 AM,
Brilliant, but I belive what you are looking for is enchaced or dragon chess.

DRAGONCHESS is played on 3 8x12 boards stacked above each other. The near right corner of all three boards is white. The top board represents the sky, the middle board the ground and the bottom board the underworld or the one that was always set up in the origanal star trek.

Rules so complex I couldn't even start to go into them and not a patch on the origanal game.:cool:
01-12-2009, 08:56 PM,
Patch ? Don't mention that word, it could lead to a whole heap of problems !
01-12-2009, 10:12 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-12-2009, 11:31 PM by Remko van den Berg.)
well as a former chessplayer (10 years ago) I can tell you that
we had some alternative competitions like

switching king and queen
playing without the pawns
bughouse chess

another more serious option of changing rules in the world of chess is the fischer clock (named after Bobby Fischer), which basicly means that you never can runout of time as long as you make your moves in time

so there really is a need for change in the chess world

regards
Remko
01-13-2009, 01:03 AM,
Chess? Are you kidding? Patches, changes? You don't need to make those, thay have already been made. What do you think all these wargames are? They are big, different chess games. You have different units with different capabilities and you have to try and make the best use of them in order to try and win. I have it almost all down. Now if only I could figure out the winning part......:hissy:
01-13-2009, 06:13 AM,
Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote:Chess? Are you kidding? Patches, changes? You don't need to make those, thay have already been made. What do you think all these wargames are? They are big, different chess games. You have different units with different capabilities and you have to try and make the best use of them in order to try and win. I have it almost all down. Now if only I could figure out the winning part......:hissy:

New extreme chess? That is where the pawns need three attacks to take out another's pawn. Or, you lose your knight while trying to take out the pawn if it is on a black square. :kill:
And, variable visibility? It is when you can see to the back of your opponent's rows during his move but during your move you can only see the first row. Eek:chin:

I like it! Where can we get the owner of chess to make those changes? Endless possibilites? :rolleyes: ;)

RR
01-13-2009, 09:03 AM,
A new chess game......i cant even play regular well:cheeky: