• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Engineer units in Matrix
01-10-2009, 06:52 AM,
Engineer units in Matrix
Ok question is this can engineer units ie construction and mine laying units be used more than once.Do they have to embark on their trucks to continue for another mine etc for later.Or is this just a one off and they revert to normal engineer tasks.
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2009, 07:19 AM,
RE: Engineer units in Matrix
Von Luck Wrote:Ok question is this can engineer units ie construction and mine laying units be used more than once.Do they have to embark on their trucks to continue for another mine etc for later.Or is this just a one off and they revert to normal engineer tasks.

Construction Engineers can build more than one trench.

Mine Engineers can lay only one minefiled.

Bridging Engineers can build one MEDIUM size bridge

Normal Engineers can build any number of LIGHT size bridges.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
01-10-2009, 07:35 AM,
Thanks Jason i take it you meen blocks as apposed to trenches or are they only allowed 1 block hex.
01-10-2009, 07:45 AM,
Von Luck Wrote:Thanks Jason i take it you meen blocks as apposed to trenches or are they only allowed 1 block hex.

Construction Engineers can also create trenches.. they must have an improved position to start from (either they or another unit built it) and there is a low chance at the start of each turn (if the unit remains undisrupted and full of AP) that a trench will be built in that hex.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
01-10-2009, 12:04 PM,
Jason,

If the game code supports limited uses for bridge/mine units, would there be a way to set a limited use for an engineer unit laying smoke? I always thought it was a little unrealistic that a single engineer platoon could smoke a hex for hours, though I could certainly be wrong about that.

Mike
01-10-2009, 01:21 PM,
The engineer is limited to the number of smokes that the scenario provides. If you want units that can smoke all day with no fear of cancer or running out of smoke they do exist...

:)

umbro
01-10-2009, 02:50 PM,
True Umbro, but the scenario limit doesn't really differentiate between artillery smoke rounds or engineer smoke rounds. Or that one engineer platoon can smoke 10 turns in a row, but none of the others carry any smoke pots (or whatever engineer smoke is intended to replicate).

In the end, it's not a big deal either. Certainly no game breaker at all. :happy:
01-11-2009, 12:55 AM,
Now see this is a good point by Mike.

Why not have each engineer unit be able to create 1 smoke round per scenario?

This would become an inherent part of the engineer unit.

The rounds of smoke listed for a side would be for artillery only.

Think about it.

Thanx!
Hawk
01-11-2009, 01:05 AM,
I was going to post similar to Hawk. You may have 10 rounds in the scenario but if each unit only gets one shot at it... would it change gameplay enough to warrant a change?

Thinking a platoon of eng may have a supply of ammo but trying to cover a 250m hex takes how many?
01-11-2009, 02:34 AM,
Hawk Kriegsman Wrote:Now see this is a good point by Mike.

Why not have each engineer unit be able to create 1 smoke round per scenario?

This would become an inherent part of the engineer unit.

The rounds of smoke listed for a side would be for artillery only.

Think about it.

Thanx!
Hawk

For any who know the early Brit CS-tanks, that can fire smoke every turn, the value of smoke is without measure. Having one or two inherent smoke rounds for engineers would prove interesting but, not overbalance the unit/scenario? Once smoke is depleted they would still operate as engineers.
It would make the smoke rounds more logical as an artillery only application?

Ed