• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

LOS a Problem Maybe ?
01-10-2009, 07:58 AM,
RE: LOS a Problem Maybe ?
Gordons HQ Wrote:OK Ed I knew I would get this response from you.
It seems you are against any change and your views have been noted.
Can anyone else please who has other views please comment.

This seems to me a petulant response to a reasonable comment. By all means meet argument with counter argument, as robust as is possible within the house rules. However he fact that a fellow Blitzer disagrees with you does not, IMO, justify spitting the dummy.
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2009, 08:26 AM,
K K Rossokolski Wrote:spitting the dummy.

I am not sure what this means. :chin:

But I like it! Big Grin

Cheers! cheers

Hawk
01-10-2009, 08:45 AM,
sounds like a uncle i used to have:P
01-10-2009, 10:00 AM,
Hawk.....Happy New Year!! The dummy is what you North Americans call a "soother." My 18 month old grandson doesn't use them much, but when sufficienty upset can spit his across the room.

It is a lovely metaphor.
01-10-2009, 11:20 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-10-2009, 11:21 AM by junk2drive.)
We call them a "pacifier". We could use one around here some times... (ducks head)

Anyway, I use LOS checks mostly to find out what can see my unit before I move into harms way. Usually after getting spanked and trying to retreat somewhere safe.

I don't think I would want the game changed. Yes I've played SP and CM.
01-10-2009, 01:06 PM,
junk2drive Wrote:. . .I use LOS checks mostly to find out what can see my unit before I move into harms way. Usually after getting spanked and trying to retreat somewhere safe.

I don't think I would want the game changed. . .

For what it's worth, I agree. Although I don't mind added realism, you reach a point when it becomes better to design an entirely new game, then updating an old one. If we put together a "wish" list of features we'd like added or removed, knowing the team that's going to be doing the actual work has limited time and resources, I'd put this one pretty far down.

Just my two cents, which is only worth a little over a penny anyhow.
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
01-10-2009, 03:10 PM,
Alfons de Palfons Wrote:In Holland, yes probably. It's flat as a pancake, however that brings it's own challenges to find features that are a few meters higher than the rest, especially if they're not man made.

In the rugged parts of the Ardennes? No way! I'm quite familiar with map reading, but I simply couldn't do it like some military commanders could, not even while I was there, let alone from a map only. It would turn out to be guess work among the high hills (see my other post)

As long as they are not Army level from the 1st US Army ...LOL

/H
reading a map and understanding it from the ground is a art form. I spent 2 weeks in infantry training in the southern states going out at night in a swamp learning land navagation and map reading. They didn't send you out there with out a compass,flashlight,map , food ,water and if all that failed to get you someplace the ever important flare. One of the most important rules is for each step to be the same distance hench number of steps x the distance equils the amount traveled. If you point man varied course by more than a hair it was flare time, sit down eat drink and wait for help to come and get you. A topo map is the same you must be SURE of the starting point, direction you are going and then its the steps x distance rule. I'm sure i've glossed over a couple of thousand varaibles that could change things.
Why in the hell would we want to change the line of sight in this game. If there isn't enough for people to worry about in this game, go play something harder. Don't make my gaming more miserable because you need more rules to slow a slow game down. Most people know where I stand on change in the game so i'm sure it comes as no suprise to those who have read my posts on the subject in the past.
Chuck
01-11-2009, 12:12 AM,
Scud Wrote:
junk2drive Wrote:. . .I use LOS checks mostly to find out what can see my unit before I move into harms way. Usually after getting spanked and trying to retreat somewhere safe.

I don't think I would want the game changed. . .

For what it's worth, I agree. Although I don't mind added realism, you reach a point when it becomes better to design an entirely new game, then updating an old one. If we put together a "wish" list of features we'd like added or removed, knowing the team that's going to be doing the actual work has limited time and resources, I'd put this one pretty far down.

Just my two cents, which is only worth a little over a penny anyhow.

Precisely! Good points to both.

Ed
01-11-2009, 12:15 AM,
Chuck10mtn Wrote:
Alfons de Palfons Wrote:In Holland, yes probably. It's flat as a pancake, however that brings it's own challenges to find features that are a few meters higher than the rest, especially if they're not man made.

In the rugged parts of the Ardennes? No way! I'm quite familiar with map reading, but I simply couldn't do it like some military commanders could, not even while I was there, let alone from a map only. It would turn out to be guess work among the high hills (see my other post)

As long as they are not Army level from the 1st US Army ...LOL

/H
reading a map and understanding it from the ground is a art form. I spent 2 weeks in infantry training in the southern states going out at night in a swamp learning land navagation and map reading. They didn't send you out there with out a compass,flashlight,map , food ,water and if all that failed to get you someplace the ever important flare. One of the most important rules is for each step to be the same distance hench number of steps x the distance equils the amount traveled. If you point man varied course by more than a hair it was flare time, sit down eat drink and wait for help to come and get you. A topo map is the same you must be SURE of the starting point, direction you are going and then its the steps x distance rule. I'm sure i've glossed over a couple of thousand varaibles that could change things.
Why in the hell would we want to change the line of sight in this game. If there isn't enough for people to worry about in this game, go play something harder. Don't make my gaming more miserable because you need more rules to slow a slow game down. Most people know where I stand on change in the game so i'm sure it comes as no suprise to those who have read my posts on the subject in the past.
Chuck

Thanks Chuck.
Good points from a grunt and gamer.

cheers
01-11-2009, 12:46 AM,
K K Rossokolski Wrote:Hawk.....Happy New Year!! The dummy is what you North Americans call a "soother." My 18 month old grandson doesn't use them much, but when sufficienty upset can spit his across the room.

It is a lovely metaphor.

Happy New Year to you KKR.

Thanks for the clarification! I like the term.

Thanx!

Hawk