• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Needs improvement - reformation of HQ units
01-03-2009, 01:54 AM,
Needs improvement - reformation of HQ units
I found a very annoying thing with re formation of HQ units in the Minsk 44 game which I have almost finished

Many times HQ units without formations appear deep in the Russian rear - not where the axis could make any use of them its silly and unhistorical - I would ask that HQ units without a formation ( or at least I think they do not have one ) form at the furthest West supply point of similar - or has anyone else got any ideas ?

I must have 8 HQ units deep in the Russian rear all reforms

Michael
Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2009, 12:28 PM,
RE: Needs improvement - reformation of HQ units
cavalry corps Wrote:Many times HQ units without formations appear deep in the Russian rear - not where the axis could make any use of them its silly and unhistorical - I would ask that HQ units without a formation ( or at least I think they do not have one ) form at the furthest West supply point of similar - or has anyone else got any ideas ?

I must have 8 HQ units deep in the Russian rear all reforms

I saw this mentioned once before on a forum but the guy never did send me a file so it was impossible to even verify if the HQs were re-formed or what they were for that matter.

Glenn
Send this user an email
01-03-2009, 07:23 PM,
Are you talking about corps and army HQ's or divisional HQ's. I can't see what use you could make of a divisional HQ with no units.
01-03-2009, 09:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-03-2009, 09:01 PM by Lowlander.)
Division and Corps HQ's can still spot for artillery and airstrikes even after all the other divisional elements have been eliminated, is this correct.

Although HQ's now suffer double casualties from indirect fire, it's only my opinion that this should also be the case with direct fire, as this would reflect the loss of command, control, communication and supply functions, as they try to survive or relocate to a safe position.
They have very fragile communications equipment to haul around.

This has been bugging me for some time.
01-03-2009, 10:26 PM,
Lowlander Wrote:Division and Corps HQ's can still spot for artillery and airstrikes even after all the other divisional elements have been eliminated, is this correct.

They can but I would consider this a pretty gamey use for HQ's.

If the problem is corps level HQ's, or higher, on the midnight turn you could assign a rear area unit to them. Have them killed by the enemy and they should re-appear with the appropriate formation. This isn't an ideal solution though, more of a work around.

A programming solution would be to just not have HQ's re-appear if they have no subordinate units. Would an army group HQ go to the trouble of reconstituting a divisional, corp or army HQ, in the timescales involved in games, if they hadn't any units under them. I suspect not.
01-04-2009, 03:42 AM,
Just to add something, in case there is a problem. Someone that has actually seen an HQ return without any subordinate units, as Cavalry Corps states, he thinks might be true, needs to send a file to Glenn/HPS support showing this. I have never seen it happen, and just ran a bunch of tests and NEVER had an HQ return if it didn't have subordinate units present. It isn't supposed to happen, and doesn't appear to be happening.

Cavalry Corps (Michael, right?) if you can show this actually happening, please provide a file as Glenn needs. By the way, you can easily see if there are any units left alive under the specific HQs by checking the strength dialog and finding if there is any strength under that HQ besides the HQ. Even if not, it would be best to provide a before and after on the HQ returning as I just can't get it to happen in a test situation that would replicate a normal game situation.

Thanks
Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
01-04-2009, 04:41 AM,
Not sure about the alive unis or not but I have HQs reforming deep n the Russian rear including Corps and Army HQs , I do need the Army and Corp HQ they would have ben useful
I will send you the file plese advis e.mail address

michael
01-04-2009, 11:22 AM,
cavalry corps Wrote:I will send you the file plese advis e.mail address

Michael:

I'm surprised that you that you've been around this long and never knew that:

a) HPS Tech SUpport can be reached at:
[email protected]

or

b) you can click on the name of anyone in the forum posting and if permitted you will see the email address. For example yours is:
[email protected]

You can click on mine and see what mine is if you like. Or can can Google me and find my website which has my contact info.

*** Make sure you send the BEFORE and AFTER file so we can be sure or as sure as we can that the HQs in question did indeed RE FORM behind the lines and wasn't moved there.

If the files ae PBEM include the Password and your opponents email address so we can get his poassword.

Also include the Hex IDs of the unit(s) in question so we know which place we are looking at.

Not saying it isn't happening - just that I've never seen it happen but the file before and after should show this unit appear. And with the BEFORE file we should be able to duplicate it too.

Glenn
Send this user an email
01-05-2009, 03:31 AM,
Glenn

The game will be finishedin three turns I will send the file then

I have no before or after moments/ turns but you can see all the HQ unist in the Russina rear

Michael
01-05-2009, 05:03 AM,
Michael,
Please save a file now just as a precaution, this is a stock campaign game and not a mod, right ?.

Don't think I've ever seen the end of any PZC game, although I'm at turn 126 of 147 against Von Nev, playing the Minsk Belorussia mod by Sgt Fury struggling as the Russians to hold on to a draw.

Highly recommended but maybe in need of some futher tweaks but it's been one hell'va game.