• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

THE MAIN EVENT III! Arrow vs. Moondog
01-05-2009, 03:38 AM,
RE: THE MAIN EVENT III!
Lord Bane Wrote:So Moondog's PzIVH was computer upgraded to Elite! He is already having some luck then.

Not luck. The only way to get a vehicle to display as 'Elite' in the purchase window is to buy it with the scenario builder, which this must have been because the price is also correct for an 'Elite'. If you buy 'Crack' units and get lucky, the new quality will only be visible when you go to deployment. Somebody has messed up.
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2009, 04:43 AM,
Extraordinarius Wrote:Somebody has messed up.

Right - something is screwy - Moondog could not have afforded that mix of armor with combined arms - stay tuned for corrections...
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
01-05-2009, 05:47 AM,
Nope. I am pretty sure that DK is the one who is putting up the screen shots of what Moondog purchased. And to make those screen shots he is looking at what Moondog bought and then going into the scenario editor and buying the equipment for our benefit. The Computer must have upgraded a Crack PzIVH to Elite and when DK saw this he simply bought one as Elite in the scenario editor. Pretty sure everything is fine.
Lord Bane
01-05-2009, 09:01 AM,
But there is not enough points for the Germans to buy that mix of armor in combined arms (a reg stug platoon, a vet tiger, and a IVH) when you buy the IVH at crack level, which he would have had to do.

Moondog is even confused. He says "....Also I have an Elite Panzer IV that I can't even remember buying. :-S"

That tells me it must have been imported with the Elite Panther, but I checked my map I sent him today - only the Panther was on the German side. I have told Moondog to stop exchanging files until we can correct this.

Somehow the Elite IVH got on the map. If Moondog were to just back it off the map on the first orders turn, would that fix it or would that affect the final battle results calculations?
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
01-05-2009, 11:15 AM,
I think you have confused Moondog. He probably doesn't remember buying an Elite unit because you can't. I did a little test and he could have afforded what you originally posted. The only thing that happened is the computer generously upgraded his PzIVH to Elite status. Poor Arrow....his fate is sealed. The game should be able to continue with no changes. See below.
Lord Bane
[Image: MainEventIII.jpg]
01-05-2009, 12:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-05-2009, 12:28 PM by Mikey_FGM.)
Bane is right.... Moondog got lucky right off that bat, that's all.

The computer is random in the way it dished out upgrades and downgrades... I recently had a lone Jagdpather get downgraded from Regular to Green... Painful, but It happens...

Geez, with the combined arms restriction, Arrow is going to have a brutal challenge combating these super cats...

On with the show! :smoke:
01-05-2009, 01:20 PM,
Yeah you're right guys - my bad -I had the wrong model of Tiger in my calculations. Moondog says:

"I haven't been in the editor or done anything unusual. I bought a crack IVH so it must have got promoted to Elite by the computer. Elite is greyed out on the purchase screen and you can't buy them anyway. Normally it randomly downgrades tanks to green so I'm grateful for the help although I don't know why it does that :-)

I just re-tried the armour buys to get the numbers and make sure and it looks fine to me, here is the breakdown:-

Allowance is 825 I spent 822

I bought:

3 Regular stugs - 301
Vet Tiger - 331
Crack IVH - 190

Total 822.

Cheers
Dave"

So no trouble after all - just a good break for Dave. Arrow's purchase screens will be next...
01-05-2009, 02:30 PM,
Next we have Arrow's purchase screens. In this first screen we see he goes with a regular platoon of M4A3(76)W Shermans to go with his Elite Sherman. He ends up getting one green and one vet and the rest regular. Only his platoon leader has any tungsten though - he has two tungsten. But the rest can still pierce 131mm of armor at 500 meters.

[Image: me3-10.jpg]

Next screen we have the middle body of his regular US rifle '44 battalion. This battalion is a good choice and contains a wide variety of units - ideal for combined arms.

[Image: me3-11.jpg]

The last screen:

[Image: me3-12.jpg]

Counting the bazookas and 57mm guns in this battalion, there are at least 18 units that can hurt or kill big cats. (I didn't even count rifle grenades or satchel charges.) The radio spotter will be able to get artillery down fast. I'm not really sure why almost everyone is counting out Arrow -seeing his forces.

Surprises - No snipers?

Looks like a very solid force - although he is light on veteran leadership.
01-05-2009, 04:21 PM,
Der Kuenstler Wrote:So no trouble after all - just a good break for Dave. Arrow's purchase screens will be next...

DK-

Just tell me whether I finally understand correctly; the purchase screens we are seeing are your reconstructions of the purchase displays, not the players' own screen shots, and you are showing the actual randomly-modified quality of the vehicles but decided not to go to the effort of showing the final modified quality of the units of the infantry battalions?
01-06-2009, 12:59 AM,
Extraordinarius Wrote:DK-

Just tell me whether I finally understand correctly; the purchase screens we are seeing are your reconstructions of the purchase displays, not the players' own screen shots, and you are showing the actual randomly-modified quality of the vehicles but decided not to go to the effort of showing the final modified quality of the units of the infantry battalions?

Right - the only way to show the screens is to reproduce them in the editor. The vehicles' experience levels are accurately reproduced but I didn't bother duplicating all the variations in infantry experience.