• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

THE MAIN EVENT III! Arrow vs. Moondog
02-10-2009, 02:12 AM,
RE: THE MAIN EVENT III!
Minute 25:

Here we see Moondog's main asset at this point, his Elite IVH, just sits still for a full minute, buttoned. Not only is it inactive, but by remaining buttoned it is exposing itself to any of Arrow's Shermans that could decide to hunt forward. Nothing else much happens other than some small arms fire and a few of his men getting shelled by a Sherman. Has Moondog checked out of this battle? Is he totally out of ideas - hopes dashed - and just hitting "send" until the clock runs out?

[Image: me3-105-1.jpg]

I suggested a ceasefire to the combatants Saturday and received this message from Arrow:

"Since the two of us are entertaining the club, I have declared a ceasefire on this turn..."

But as yet no response from Moondog...is he out of town or brooding over his impendng loss?

How about a little Marilyn Monroe for the soldiers while we wait? I know - it's from 1954 - but it is Marilyn Monroe, and we're getting really bored...

[Image: NA001586-1.jpg]
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2009, 05:36 PM,
Hmmm.... methinks it's time to urgently ceasefire this one, celebrate the Allied Victory... and start thinking about MAIN EVENT IV!! Flag
02-11-2009, 04:36 AM,
Message to Der Kuenstler from Moondog:

"Sorry I've been away for the weekend at short notice.

Is it really that bad on the thread ? Jeez, sorry, I supppose you haven't a lot to report. Infantry build up is less exciting than tank action and I haven't many tanks as you know.

Ok here's my response,
Arrow has the game won and can sit on his flags so the onus is on me to do something,.... which I have been but rather slowly and carefully, I'm low on HE so I can't blow every house down so the time to move is now.

I don't want to surrender after the last 7 or 8 turns of build up for my last ditch suicide attack so I will kick it off now to put some life back into the next few turns and some killing fun for arrow, .....and then I will use the pistol when / if i can't make a difference.

Hope this is ok, Please assure the Lord Bane I won't drag it out for three weeks :-)"

Message to Arrow from Moondog after receiving ceasfire notice:

"Arrow kind and generous as it is, I can't accept your offer (for at least a couple more minutes), .

First I propose to use russian tactics to test your mettle and have alerted the Nazi Commisars.

Stand by for a waste of life not seen since,...ehm. ...the earlier part of this game."

Message back from Arrow:

"No problem, I would have done the same. Your rush should get you either a draw or minor. It will be interesting."
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
02-15-2009, 03:25 AM,
Minute 26: Moondog makes his move....

We'll start with Moondog's elite IVH - he chooses to hunt it forward in order to get LOS to the Sherman downtown that is blocking his infantry advance. He has left the panzer buttoned, but since he has a cover arc set to point the barrel directly at his target, he should still pick it up quickly - and he does, about 15 seconds into the minute. But somehow Moondog must have offended the gods - his horrible luck keeps rolling. We see his first shot ricochets off the buttoned up and unwary Sherman.

[Image: me3-110.jpg]

About 5 seconds later, the Sherman returns fire - bang - another one shot, one kill. It seems like this has happened a lot to Moondog. And to make it worse, it was Arrow's only GREEN Sherman that did it.

[Image: me3-111.jpg]

The German infantry don't fare any better now that their support tank is gone - by the end of the minute a few ragged men have made it as far as the tall hedges, but are still in the open and probably won't last long in the return hail of fire from the US soldiers in the church rubble.

[Image: me3-112.jpg]

To the North, Moondog doesn't try to advance anyone. His men remain safe in cover, but still too far from the flag for victory.

[Image: me3-113.jpg]

Arrow exclaims "Definitely exciting for the fans!"

But that's about the last of the poor bloodied and battered Germans - I would expect Moondog to hit "ceasefire" next, as there are no other viable options...
02-15-2009, 09:38 AM,
Yes, if he can't get any infantry going, mhe might as well hit the ceasefire. Sometimes you gotta get a little luck, and that appeared to be all on one side.
02-15-2009, 11:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-16-2009, 12:17 AM by Der Kuenstler.)
MOONDOG THROWS IN THE TOWEL!!

The battle is over - here we see Arrow's final victory screen:

[Image: me3-115.jpg]

In a final view of the map, we see that Arrow was able to overcome some stiff odds and take 4/6 flags. Congratulations to him on this stunning upset! I must confess I wrote him off myself after he lost his first two Shermans.

[Image: me3-116.jpg]

Both commanders have been mostly gracious in their comments, but, after that last miserable tank loss, Moondog can't help but let a little bitterness seep out:

"Ah bollocks, I give up...... Just got back from work It's 6am and then I log on to see that horse sh--. Every time I beat you to the Punch with a tank you just laugh and destroy me. Elite or not it's now just warm scrap and up in smoke goes my last chance of putting up a fight. I have pressed ceasefire before I ruin my reputation further. Ps have you got this weeks Lotto numbers please. :-)"

Meanwhile, the Fuher entertains suggestions of possible ways to dispose of Moondog. Will he be allowed to use his own pistol or will a firing squad be his fate?

[Image: IH175970.jpg]

Thanks to both commanders for a very entertaining battle, which has turned out to be the most viewed so far. Special thanks to Ratzki for making the map. And thanks to all who supported the thread by viewing and commenting on it.

I will now open up the thread to both Moondog and Arrow for any comments they might have. As the winner, Arrow will be awarded with 100 bonus points. Moondog will receive 50 bonus points.
02-16-2009, 02:23 AM,
Blitz Members-
First off I want to congratulate Moondog on a very good game. He played well and it could have gone either way in a number of turns throughout this match. In fact reading the posts today I should have been even more depressed then I was in the early turns. I know that the odds were 10:1 in favor of my opponent and even 50:1 when my Elite tank was taken out by the Tiger I never saw. I just wish I had placed a bet when the window was open. But this maps tricky LOS is all about the Church "One Flag To Rule Them All". Once I secured it, there was hope. For all the members that supported me during this match you may now loot the town to you heart's content. For those that lost faith, I stand at the top of my castle. look down at you and say in my heaviest french accent "I fart in your general direction".

Thanks to DK for spicing up my turns for the readers.
Arrow out
02-16-2009, 07:45 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-16-2009, 07:46 AM by Vartuoosi.)
Congrats Arrow for your sweet victory
Only I and Ratzki believed in your victory from the beginning.
(Judging by the voting)
02-17-2009, 02:17 AM,
Congrats -- well done! Another highly entertaining Main Event slugfest!
Keep 'em coming! cheers
02-17-2009, 08:55 AM,
PHEW!!! That smelt like an evil curry you had before the battle! Big Grin
Congrats on your win mate! :)
Now as any one got a spare shirt I can borrow? (just lost mine at the bookies :rolleyes: )