• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Poor old Liverpool
12-16-2008, 08:49 AM,
RE: Poor old Liverpool
Sorry Darrran ...Had a senior moment on that one.....THINK'S I must think before I type....:whis:Big Grin :conf:

Now What's my name...Eek That's it TED
REAL OPPONENTS SEE THE BATTLE OUT TO THE END, WINNING OR LOSING
Quote this message in a reply
12-16-2008, 09:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-16-2008, 09:50 AM by Kingmaker.)
HiHi

You are quite correct Aleric phoneticly it's pronounced Warick. Warwickshire (1st writen records of which date back to 1001), allegidly derives it's name from "the dwelling by the Weir" not as you may imagin a War Wick, a wick being a small fortification.

As Warwick has been habitated since Pre Celtic times there is probably strong linguistc corruption from what it may have orriginally been called, eg the name may have been shaped linguistically over time through Celtic, Roman, Saxon, Danish, Old English, Norman French, through to English linguistics, we have had a lot of visitors through, I realy hope you enjoyed your visit, it's a very picturesque county.

As to why the w is dropped it's probably just localised thing that catches on over time, a weird eg where I now live in County Durham is the village down the hill from me, spelt Ramshaw, but pronounced localy as Ramshed, and no, I ain't a clue as to why either!? :)

Weird folk in the East Midlands, maybe Cones are their thing :chin:

All the Best
Peter
12-16-2008, 07:30 PM,
Yes, indeed a very nice area. I also recommend a visit to Warwick castle. Originally a motte and bailey type castle with numerous additions over the centuries. England has been my favorite destination in Europe from the first time I visited there.