• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

**New Tournament Ideas**
12-09-2008, 04:49 AM,
**New Tournament Ideas**
What about this ideas?

A Team-game Tournament: Find your/s teammates (2-4 players). The best is that they were your usual team mates. If you're new to the team game experience the Tournament Master will create your team with some other club members. It will be a single scenario Tournament with a large scenario (number of units, map, etc), but of a moderate number of turns (less than 100 turns if possible).

Various-games Tournament: just like the ones that we are already playing.

One-game Tournament: Like Anvil of Victory Tournament (Normandy), Hungary 44-The prelude Tournament (Budapest), Bagration Tournament (Minsk), etc

Mirrored play style Tournament.

Not mirrored play style Turnament.

Theme based Tournament (like the Grossdeutchland Tournament based upon an unit, or a general, a city, etc).

Other ideas...
Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2008, 06:34 AM,
RE: **New Tournament Ideas**
A team game tournament sounds fun. I think you would need to limit it to 2x2 teams or you may have trouble finding enough people.
12-09-2008, 07:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-09-2008, 07:54 AM by Sgt Fury.)
Team tourney sounds fun. Trick will be to find something large enough, yet small enough for this purpose. I'd be interested if this gets going.

Another thing we did a few years ago was play a grudge match tournament against the PzC Club (cross club tourney). I think it was 7 on 7. PzC might be too afraid though :-) we beat them 6-1 as I recall.

Fury
12-09-2008, 08:56 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-09-2008, 09:38 AM by sergio.)
great idea, fury! (cross club tourney)

About the Team Tourney... it's posible, of course.
There are a lot of mini-campaigns:
Uranus (40 turns, i think), Hoth's gamble (30 turns), 1st week at Normandy (70 turns), Bulge mini campaign (70 turns), etc...

I think that it's possible... and teamgame are really fun games IMO.

Regards
12-09-2008, 12:28 PM,
I'd like to see a "master" tourament played by only the elite players in this club, with all of the games in the AAR. Perhaps a team game with four elite volunteers. That way us "duffers" can learn a thing or two.
12-09-2008, 12:38 PM,
Mirror Tournaments would even out some of the imbalance that exists in some of the sce but the player that goes second does have the advantage of seeing the previous move of his opponent so after the first move the the 2nd player should move first and then continue alternating during the game.
Also the actual points scored has to be reported.

As to team games, fine, but I would point out that tournaments have sometimes trouble in finishing in a timely fashion and that one player dropping out would have a greater effect on the tournament as a whole.

Personally I like the 3 seperate sce format that Tide 1 was so ably setting up for us and which you have kindly taken over:)
Barbarrossa
12-10-2008, 03:22 AM,
Here's an idea for "mirror" scenarios that I think adds some spice. Everyone plays both sides of the scenario, but against different people (randomly chosen). Keeps some fog of war on how well, or how much risk, must be taken to win. Here's an example of what I mean:

Player A (Axis)<-------->(Allies) Player B
(Allies)...........................(Axis)
^..................................^
|...................................|
V...................................v
(Axis)............................(Allies)
Player C (Allies)<------>(Axis) Player D

Fury
12-10-2008, 02:49 PM,
How about running a tourny like they do in a tennis grand slam
i.e. 16 - 8 - 4 - 2

or like they do in the world cup soccer, pools and then finals.

though from my observations it seems more research into the scenario selection process is needed re play balance.

also I think the scenario's need to be a little bigger so that skill will overcome a lucky streak.

just my 2 cents

cheers
12-10-2008, 03:19 PM,
Another thought re unbalanced scenario's.

Have each player bid vp's for the side they wish to play in the scenario, highest bid gets his side and the bid amount is deducted from his vp tally at game end to determine the final result. This would put the onus on each player to judge the balance of the game before hand.

Ofcourse a player could make no bid if he had no preference for sides. Ties in the bid process could be resolved by flipping a coin.
12-11-2008, 12:17 AM,
there are very good ideas here... I'll use some of them ;)