• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

H2H.. A Way Ahead
12-06-2008, 08:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-06-2008, 08:34 AM by Feldgeneral Hoth.)
RE: H2H.. A Way Ahead
Hello.

As designer and after more time spent in the H2H section, ( I remember an previous post talking about H2H), I decided to test my own scns with some of players and then release to the community.

I agree create new scns is the key to hold this game "in"

Cheers

Chema aka Hoth
Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2008, 07:34 PM,
Along with another member, we have been working for ages on a scenario builder tool 'et al'. We have knocked up various scenarios, played them, all were fun to play, some had errors made, some were unbalanced, but, it gave us extra scenarios to play. The point of my original post was, I would like to make them available to the other members to play but am quite happy just to continue working on them, playing them with a few valued people I play with, purely because I don't feel I need to have things analysed before they are deemed acceptable.
As in my first post, I think there maybe numerous scenarios designed that could build the database up but never see the light of day?
regards
Peter
12-06-2008, 10:50 PM,
Peter, any scenario can be uploaded into the CS scenario dBASE.

Ed
12-07-2008, 06:53 AM,
Yeah Ed, I realise that, but because of the feeling of possible disapproval, I tend to not bother.I think that's the point I'm trying to make, - if there wasn't an H2H more people might upload their scenario designs because they would remain more anonymous and not subject to criticism, even if constructive? I really think there would be a boost in scenarios to play in the database and that is what any venture needs, new blood constantly.
No disrespect to the efforts of those involved in H2H but, I used to be a salesman, I learnt never to judge a person as to what they could afford or want, just work on numbers of people and you get the results. Maybe that's why I'm a taxi driver now, lol! But seriously, I think if enough people are putting up there scenario designs to the database, without them needing to be assessed, it would put the new life into the game that's required?
regards
Peter
12-07-2008, 08:27 AM,
I agree.
I'm not even sure that approval by the H2H area ensures a balanced scenario.
Add your reservations about uploading and I can see where stigma takes over.
Since version 1.04 I have been reviewing and remaking my scenario designs. I'll probably be putting them up on the dBASE over the next few weeks. I'll replace any that need to be and add new ones too.
12-08-2008, 02:28 PM,
I recently submitted my first scenario to H2H. I don't have a fear of criticism, as long as the criticism is constructive. I'm looking forward to the input. To all those who are currently in the process of testing my scenario, "Death Road at Oltarzew", I encourage you to send me emails reporting initial impressions and how things are going. My email address is [email protected].

I've read the comments on this thread and several others on the same topic with interest. I am hoping that the testers working in the H2H format can help me to construct a better product that, ultimately, is more balanced. While I want "Death Road" to be as historical as possible, I went into the process trying at all times to remember that JTCS is a game, and the purpose of playing games is to provide enjoyment. It's a tough balance, and like I said, I'm hoping that the H2H process will help me tweak the scenario in order to give future players the most enjoyment possible from the scenario.

I considered simply entering the scenario into the dbase, but ultimately decided to give H2H a try. My reasoning for this was the if I simply placed the scenario into the dbase, it might never get any play. I have limited time to pursue my hobby, and if I'm going to play a scenario against someone, I want to know that I won't waste my time with scenarios that are blatantly unbalanced. In short, I want bang for the buck. I have to admit that I am a little fanatical about this. I actually identified all the scenarios in EF/WF/RS that are recommended for Human vs. AI play only and put them in a separate folder so they don't show up when I open the game up. And for scenarios in the dbase, I typically am very reluctant to download scenarios that don't have a reputation for being good for H2H play. It's this factor that drove me to put my first attempt at scenario design into H2H. I hope that my experience with H2H validates that it is a decent way for designers to improve the quality of their products.

I'm of the opinion that H2H needs to exist, but players should also have the opportunity, if they so desire, to enter their scenarios directly into the dbase. But if a scenario comes thru the H2H approval process, Blitz players would have some measure of assurance that the scenario will likely give them "bang for the buck". My 2 cents.
12-09-2008, 05:20 AM,
steelrain75 Wrote:I recently submitted my first scenario to H2H. I don't have a fear of criticism, as long as the criticism is constructive. I'm looking forward to the input. To all those who are currently in the process of testing my scenario, "Death Road at Oltarzew", I encourage you to send me emails reporting initial impressions and how things are going. My email address is [email protected].

I've read the comments on this thread and several others on the same topic with interest. I am hoping that the testers working in the H2H format can help me to construct a better product that, ultimately, is more balanced. While I want "Death Road" to be as historical as possible, I went into the process trying at all times to remember that JTCS is a game, and the purpose of playing games is to provide enjoyment. It's a tough balance, and like I said, I'm hoping that the H2H process will help me tweak the scenario in order to give future players the most enjoyment possible from the scenario.

I considered simply entering the scenario into the dbase, but ultimately decided to give H2H a try. My reasoning for this was the if I simply placed the scenario into the dbase, it might never get any play. I have limited time to pursue my hobby, and if I'm going to play a scenario against someone, I want to know that I won't waste my time with scenarios that are blatantly unbalanced. In short, I want bang for the buck. I have to admit that I am a little fanatical about this. I actually identified all the scenarios in EF/WF/RS that are recommended for Human vs. AI play only and put them in a separate folder so they don't show up when I open the game up. And for scenarios in the dbase, I typically am very reluctant to download scenarios that don't have a reputation for being good for H2H play. It's this factor that drove me to put my first attempt at scenario design into H2H. I hope that my experience with H2H validates that it is a decent way for designers to improve the quality of their products.

I'm of the opinion that H2H needs to exist, but players should also have the opportunity, if they so desire, to enter their scenarios directly into the dbase. But if a scenario comes thru the H2H approval process, Blitz players would have some measure of assurance that the scenario will likely give them "bang for the buck". My 2 cents.
Alex,
Thank you for uploading your scenario and giving the H2H system a try, i hope you will have some fun watching your scenario pass through several phases from the rough diamond you start with to the polished stone that i hope it will become. ;)

I should draw your attention to the info contained in the H2H sub forum above this forum much of it aimed at designers, also on the H2H index page Link to H2H page you will see a new link "my scenarios" through which you can change/edit aspects of the scenario.

On your part you will may need to keep in touch with the testers to see how they are getting on and to make sure you receive all the feedback you can. :)

Any questions you have just post here or PM or email me.