• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

THE MAIN EVENT II! Lord Bane vs. Matteponk
12-17-2008, 07:14 AM,
RE: THE MAIN EVENT II!
Whats the status on MP's inf DK?

They're going to have to start bagging T34's but where are the german hoards and whats their eta?

I'm being partisan cos I bet on MP in the other thread so I feel constrained to say that LB is a one trick poney, whats he going to do if the tanks dont work?

Side discussion: Does LB's masterful armoured onslaught in this game constitute validation of the controversial "POS" doctrine?

Kudos to all, this is great.
Quote this message in a reply
12-17-2008, 07:16 AM,
And Wigam its definately your round
12-17-2008, 02:38 PM,
Are we still drinking beer or are we on top shelf now ?
[Image: Tiger-Sig2.jpg]
Send this user an email
12-18-2008, 01:38 AM,
Where I come from if you're buying you decide.
Having said that I'll have a large single malt with a beer chaser.

cheers
12-18-2008, 01:45 AM,
I have to say MP's push with his JgPz seems a bit dodgy to me too though in his defence, unlike us who can see both sides of the hill, he probably thinks he has an armour advantage with all thos PzIVs.

He he, I wonder if we'll be able to tell when the penny drops for him and will it be too late by then?

Gripping stuff!
12-18-2008, 01:47 AM,
Come on DK where's the next installment!

Whip
12-18-2008, 02:25 AM,
I am trying out MickeyD and Dey's whitewashed T34/85 mod that Rico sent me today - thanks guys!

Minute seven: In the South, no vehicles are destroyed - but we can see Lord Bane is sending some of his T34 army on a flanking move. They spot one of Matteponk's approaching infantry platoons and start firing at them. LB's other T34s on the right are sitting back area firing another German infantry platoon which is getting pretty banged up and panicking.

[Image: me2-65.jpg]

At town center, Lord Bane gets aggressive and tries to go for a knockout punch. He sends his lone vet T34/85 straight up the road hoping to get a side shot on the turretless IV70, but on the way he runs up on another of Matteponk's Pz IVJs. No worry - the green IVJ proves inept - they fire three times and miss every time. The T34 then takes them out - but they have distracted him. The IV70 has had time to turn around and aim point blank for next minute.

[Image: me2-67.jpg]

Fluidwill asked about the infantry situation. Here is a recon photo looking straight down on the town. Matteponk has a battalion compared to LB's company.

[Image: me2-66.jpg]

I'd be more positive about Matteponk's chances if his infantry choices had been different - this Volksgrenadier battalion is mostly for short range fighting - and with the lack of cover in winter I doubt if he can get that close. A bunch of crack schrek teams would sway the outcome, because I've seen them work from up to 200 meters. Snipers could blind the tanks and allow the infantry to close. But he has bought neither of those.

Message from Matteponk:

"The plan called for my PzIV(70)s to take care of his T34/85s. Couldn't imagine he'd buy two companies of them though. Have counted 16 so far. Could use another platoon of TDs. My green PzIVs are now being used in a role they were not indended to fulfil, dueling against the veteran russian armor. Will have to rely on my volksgrenadiers and their Panzerfausts. After they have had a chance to catch their breath, that is. Hopefully the russian infantry and tanks will eventually run out of ammo and be overrun by my brave volksgrenadiers. Desperate speculations?"

Hitler is enraged. "Not one step back, Matteponk!" he shouts...

[Image: 035HitlerDM_228x317.jpg]
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
12-18-2008, 02:35 AM,
fluidwill Wrote:Side discussion: Does LB's masterful armoured onslaught in this game constitute validation of the controversial "POS" doctrine?

Well it seems to be working in this game, but the lack of Summer cover here is favorable for tanks. I still think a large infantry force beats a large tank force - I won POS' "Perimeter" tourney without buying one tank. I had all infantry - but that was in the Summer and he had to come through me to get to the flags.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
12-18-2008, 02:55 AM,
Looks like MP has discovered the amount of T34's he's now facing! Eek
I would say LB is in the lead so far but can he hold onto it? :chin:
DK is on the button concerning the lack of panzerschrek teams and snipers.
12-18-2008, 03:54 AM,
I guess that is why many of us tend to purchase select units every QB - to cover the eventualities. I like to always buy snipers, mortars, artillery, ATGs and transport, an AA gun and of course a platoon of tanks and a company of infantry and an engineer platoon and either ATRs or shreks. Depends on the points what and how much can be purchased of course but it gives options for those times things don't go per the plan - which is like always :)