• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

THE MAIN EVENT II! Lord Bane vs. Matteponk
12-13-2008, 04:37 AM,
RE: THE MAIN EVENT II!
Well, you don't want them tracking too close that is for sure.
Quote this message in a reply
12-13-2008, 06:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-13-2008, 11:20 AM by Der Kuenstler.)
I asked Matteponk why he lines his squads up single file:

"Its much easier to move all your troops past obstacles and between slow terrain, while you make sure they keep together. Also, you usually need less waypoints.

To make things clearer, neither of my infantry columns have any waypoints, which give them, say, 20 seconds head start. When you get close to an obstacle, just adjust the order slightly to make them slip by, without time consuming orders or waypoints." - Matteponk
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
12-13-2008, 07:32 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-13-2008, 11:25 AM by Der Kuenstler.)
THE FIREWORKS BEGIN...

Minute one passes without event - all tanks and men headed towards their objectives without traffic jams or bogs.

Minute two: Lord Bane wheels his vet T34 tanker platoon into hulldown position on the East side of town near the central church. A vet 44H platoon and HQ leap off the tanks and run for the light building to the left - they are getting in position to spray any German troops that may be headed for the church. The conscript T34 is approaching out of sight of the main road to deliver his riders. But about 35 seconds into the minute, Matteponk's leading Pz IVJ appears in the fog on the horizon.

[Image: me2-40.jpg]

The T34 on the left sights and fires first - but it ricochets! The shell can still be seen flying up into the sky after hitting the hun tank.

[Image: me2-41.jpg]

Next the IVJ fires at the central T34 - boom - one shell, one kill! Unfortunately for LB it was his platoon leader also. Dang - Ain't that the way it usually happens? To add insult to injury, the Pz IVJ fired while still moving "fast" and was green.

[Image: me2-42.jpg]

But the green IVJ crew's glory is short lived. Lord Bane's T34 on the right fires and hits him. The FOW shows "immobile" to Lord Bane but the German tank is actually dead.

[Image: me2-43.jpg]

From Matteponk's side, we can see as the minute ends his dead Pz IVJ. The SMG riders have been swept from the tank and are pinned in the road. Another SMG squad has dismounted and runs for the nearest building. But Matteponk's lead vet Pz IV70 has moved into hull-down position and drawn a bead on the Russian tank that killed the IVJ.

[Image: me2-44.jpg]

The tanks on the wings are still approaching and haven't seen each other. At the close of minute 2 each commander has already lost a tank - it looks to be a vicious fight to come.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
12-13-2008, 07:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-13-2008, 09:37 AM by Jobu88.)
Of all the things I hate about Vista, this may be the top of the list: it does not model fog. These images reminded me of the dramatic effect of fog and snow, which I have been missing since getting Bill Gates' latest brain fart.
"A bad plan is still better than no plan at all." -- Mikhail Tal

[Image: pzV.jpg]
12-13-2008, 08:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-13-2008, 08:53 AM by British Tommy.)
I can almost hear Lord Baneski gnashing his teeth from here when he viewed that replay! :hissy:
How unlucky was that?? A fast moving green crewed PZ IVJ in fog kills your leading tank and platoon commander with a single shot :eek1:
One of the many reasons I love this game! Big Grin
Fluidwill, pass me another cold beer :)
12-13-2008, 12:09 PM,
cheers
12-13-2008, 01:30 PM,
Who brought the pop corn and pretzels ? :)
[Image: Tiger-Sig2.jpg]
Send this user an email
12-14-2008, 02:32 AM,
Picking up from our last picture: one of Lord Bane's remaining two vet tanks at the end of the street fires at the menacing vet Jpz IV, but it ricochets - the beast has an 80m curved superstructure and is very hard to hurt when hulldown. Next the Jpz IV fires - boom - it kills the T34 instantly. The third vet T34 has seen enough and backs away. Meanwhile Matteponk's regular platoon leader Jpz IV pulls up - the two hulldown German behemoths now have control of main street.

[Image: me2-49.jpg]

To the North: Bane's vet T34/85 platoon stumbles upon Matteponk's Northern tank column. Two shots are fired almost simultaneously, but Bane's lead tank misses, while Matteponk's green PzIV does not - another one shot, one kill! The minute ends with trailing tanks coming into view of each other.

[Image: me2-46.jpg]

To the South: Still not going right for Lord Bane. His lead T34/85s spot another of Matteponk's IV70s coming around the corner. The IV70 is on a fixed carriage and has to turn to face them. But the two green T34s blow their opportunity - they both fire once and miss - then begin cowering backwards wildy from the threat. A low ridge blocks the vet and crack T34s on the left from getting into the fray.

[Image: me2-47.jpg]

At town center, we see squads on both sides struggling to get to the church. The snow and cold is sapping the soldiers' strength - even a short run order to the church has them all tired. It looks like Lord Bane's guard platoon may get to the church first - if they don't get pinned by fire. Both commanders are pushing them to the limit - but they need to start managing their footsoldiers before they become exhausted. Out of armored targets, Matteponks Pz IV70 starts shelling the soldiers in the two story house.

[Image: me2-45.jpg]

More trouble for Bane - a green T34/85 bogs on the South road. And another one is bogged in the East -a platoon leader.

[Image: me2-48.jpg]

At the end of minute three Lord Bane has lost three T34/85s and bogged two more. Matteponk has lost only one green Pz IVJ. What was once a 21-14 advantage in armor is now a 16-13 advantage...
12-14-2008, 04:08 AM,
Lady luck might be smiling on Von Matteponk's forces early in the battle but hopefully she will turn her attention to the fearless Lord Baneski from the middle of the battle and onwards.
Wigam, Fluidwill has drunk most of the beer. Could you pop down the shop and buy another crate or two?........ and another jumbo bag of pretzels :)

Great screenshots DK, keep up the good work cheers
12-14-2008, 04:43 AM,
Quote:At the end of minute three Lord Bane has lost three T34/85s and bogged two more. Matteponk has lost only one green Pz IVJ. What was once a 21-14 advantage in armor is now a 16-13 advantage...

Wow, talk about bad luck for Bane...

He'll need to execute some clever maneuvering to regain a decisive armor advantage...