• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

THE MAIN EVENT II! Lord Bane vs. Matteponk
12-10-2008, 05:48 AM,
RE: THE MAIN EVENT II!
Lord Bane's purchase screens are now available - here is the first one - enough tanks for a decent parade in Moscow, with a nice mix of experience that can be assigned different tasks:

[Image: me2-25.jpg]

And the second - a regular Guards 44 company. Half of these squads are the "H" variety - they have a rifle replaced with an extra LMG for more punch, but ammo is reduced to 28.

[Image: me2-26.jpg]

Lord Bane was able to take advantage of -10 rarity on this model during this month of January - and boy did he. The ominous line of iron beasts stretches out so far that the end can't even be seen through the cold fog.

[Image: me2-27.jpg]

Stalin cracks up with one of his aides after they learn how many tanks Commander Bane is bringing...

[Image: 200px-Joseph_Stalin_and_Kliment_Vor.jpg]

But Lord Bane's armor spending spree has left him dangerously thin on infantry....
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2008, 06:07 AM,
This is going to be great! Use of armour is a weakness of mine and here the two pro's are going for a tank fest! Quick first impressions are that Matteponks pick gives an edge, his inf will rule the inf fight and pack a decent AT punch and he has too many tanks for LB to quickly overwhelm the armour side.

Am I right in thinking that LB can load up his entire force and be at least firstest with the mostest?
12-10-2008, 06:47 AM,
Heh, heh.. 21 T-34's!
This should be a quick game.

A cataclysmic tank clash within the first 10 turns with Bane coming out +10 tanks at least, followed by the necessarily tedious infantry mop up. LOS range is long enough to neutralize Mattaponk's infantry AT assets...
12-10-2008, 07:24 AM,
Mikey_FGM Wrote:LOS range is long enough to neutralize Mattaponk's infantry AT assets...

Yes Matteponk may wish he had bought one of those German battalions with the 18 Panzerschrek teams included. But he does have artillery - he could put it on "wide spread" and button all of LB's tanks, blinding them and allowing his panzers to get extra shots in and his infantry to close. Depends on how they approach each other.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
12-10-2008, 07:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-10-2008, 07:28 AM by British Tommy.)
Hells teeth! 21 T34's Eek

I think Lord Baneski's tactic will be to mount the infantry on the tanks and just drive straight for the flags ..... there ain't gonna be anything stopping him! :smoke:

On a more serious note, I'm REALLY looking forward to this battle! Big Grin
12-10-2008, 09:31 AM,
Matteponk will have to hold off with his armour and let the SMG's win the infantry battle, while trying to pick of the Russian tanks as they appear.
12-10-2008, 07:03 PM,
Heheheh.... but the joy of this is Ratzki that Matteponk doesnt have the knowledge we have of LB's plans and he will probably charge to get his infantry in good positions near the flags and then boom... the T-34's will start punching him apart.
12-10-2008, 07:34 PM,
Will this be a flagrush (Bane) versus a careful, methodical approach (Matteponk) ?

The Jagdpanzers can take out the T34's with ease (and will be hard to kill from the front), but will be vulnerable from the side when pushing ahead to
fast. So, I don't think Matteponk will benefit from a flagrush.

Do green and conscript tanks bog faster then veteran ones ? The T34's are better cross-country, but their speed will be reduced because of the snow, so how big of a plus will that be ?
12-10-2008, 09:26 PM,
Bootie Wrote:Heheheh.... but the joy of this is Ratzki that Matteponk doesnt have the knowledge we have of LB's plans and he will probably charge to get his infantry in good positions near the flags and then boom... the T-34's will start punching him apart.

It could all get very messy very quickly! I hope DK's typing speed is up to the challenge!
12-11-2008, 01:01 AM,
BATTLE PLANS

From the Axis commander, Matteponk:

"Ok, here are the different plans I considered:

1) A crack SMG platoon with multiple supporting MGs quickly deployed into town mounted in trucks and on some Panthers. The purpose of this group is to hold as long as possible, drawing fire and hopefully artillery. The main force comprising the better part of a ski batallion together with the rest of the Panthers conduct a double envelopment, hopefully finishing off depleted exhausted troops in town. Panthers are the only german tanks I would dare send out off road in snow due to their fairly low ground pressure. When the weather changed to fog and visibility became 750m instead of 250m, this option was dropped.

2) A couple of PzIV platoons divided between three columns, one on each road, each led by a speedy Jagdpanther. All tanks provide enough capacity to lift an entire crack infantry company plus supporting MGs. Flank protection is provided by ski troops with panzerschrecks. Dropped this plan as Jagdpanthers are not the most cost efficient way of quickly deploying troops while providing great AT-ability.

3) (Final plan) Same as above, but making the PzIV platoons green and fielding a platoon regular of PzIV(70) instead of Jagdpanthers. This leave enough points to buy a full veteran Volksgrenadier batallion. The green PzIVs are not meant to face the russian T34/85s, but act as mobile gun and MG platforms providing long range support for my SMG infantry, while the PzIV(70)s will take care of the russian tanks. The PzIV, in my opinion a pretty lousy tank, does come with a lot of HE and MG ammo. The PzIV(70) is almost as effective as the Jagdpanther comparing short range firepower and protection, but at half the price. The speed advantage of the Jagdpanther (29mph vs 22mph) does not justify the added cost. The Volksgrenadier battalion is a nice formation, packed with SMGs and MGs as well as a couple of small caliber spotters. One third of its platoons consist of medium range Grenadiers, while the rest are all SMG platoons. The Grenadiers will watch the flanks while half the SMGs storm the center and the rest form the reserve. Mounted on the three columns of tanks will be three platoons of infantry and most of the MGs. The key here is to time the dismount point correctly, so that my lead PzIV(70)s is in firing positions when the first russian tanks appear, while my infantry and MGs fan out scrambling for cover. No plan survives contact with the enemy though, but with a large reserve of infantry and plenty of tanks to shift back and forth, I believe I will be able to handle most situations fairly well, although flank protection is my achilles heel. We'll see."

And from the Allied commander, Lord Bane:

"I am hoping to catch a cautious Matteponk moving into the town and fall upon him with masses of fast moving Red armor. The key will be speed. I am expecting him to be using Ski troops so I will need to move quickly. I am hoping he has less than 10 tanks, which is a safe bet as this is not the best armor map. Hopefully he didn't buy any Super Cats like Kings or Jadgpanthers! The hammerstroke will fall hardest on his right flank as I send twelve tanks crashing down on him. My infantry is simply along for the ride, I will try and get some of them into the main flag but my main concern is smashing his forces not gaining control of the flags. My goal is an exciting game with a clear cut winner.....hopefully me. Thought I would try the unexpected on him. Damn that Matteponk and his ways!" - Bane