• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

THE MAIN EVENT II! Lord Bane vs. Matteponk
12-09-2008, 07:44 PM,
RE: THE MAIN EVENT II!
My guess is that the Jagdpanzers are meant for the AT fight and the Panzers IV primarily for the anti-infantry ie HE fight. A lower experience is less of a problem for the anti-infantry fight. Plus, all the german tanks have good optics and can beat (almost) every russian tank over a distance of 752 meters.
Infantry with lower exoerience ratings are more easily rattled in short distance fire fights. Perhaps that is the reason for him choosing veterans.
Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2008, 08:03 PM,
Its kind of like a soviet force isnt it? Lots of mediocre tanks and a hoard of vicious close in infantry.
No shreks isnt too much of a problem as they'll have loads of fausts. The IVJ's can deal with "normal" armour and chuck some serious HE whilst the IV/70's can take care of any uber tanks that turn up. The Volks gren battalion is a lot of firepower for the points and the only potential weakness is in long range suppressive fire, getting the MG42's forward will be a probelm in the snow and I wouldn't be surprised to see them loaded on the tanks at the start.
Good balanced force, i like it. Can't wait to see what Bane is bringing to the party.
12-09-2008, 08:33 PM,
The drawbacks with the PzIVJ's is while they can kill most things armoured on the Soviet side -- they can also be very easily killed by just about anything on the other side at this stage of the war.
Also that sloooooooooooooow turret traverse on the PzIVJ is a real handicap sometimes.
12-09-2008, 11:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-09-2008, 11:49 PM by fluidwill.)
Given the mans record I find it unlikely he doesn't know how to use them.
12-10-2008, 12:28 AM,
fluidwill Wrote:Given the mans record I find it unlikely he doesn't know how to use them.

That goes without saying. Big Grin
12-10-2008, 01:27 AM,
The sheer number of them could make the difference - even if half of them get knocked out, he still has five left.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
12-10-2008, 01:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-10-2008, 02:00 AM by Mikey_FGM.)
Interesting...

I'm sure Matteponk is not too thrilled about green quality PIV's, but it's obvious his priority was the Vet Volks Battalion...
You do what you can with leftover points...

I'll bet Bane does the opposite and buys a dozen Vet T-34's, with maybe 2 companies of Reg infantry, + various support pieces...
12-10-2008, 02:41 AM,
I wonder how many of those tanks will end up bogged down in the snow?:chin:
Going to be tough for the artillery spotters with the fog. Maybe he will use them in the middle of the battle when battle lines are more stable. Will be interesting to see where Matt places his panzers. With the short LOS, he will need an infantry screen in front of them or risk losing some to sneaky Russians! ;)
12-10-2008, 03:42 AM,
British Tommy Wrote:I wonder how many of those tanks will end up bogged down in the snow?:chin:

I predict at least two won't make it to the front lines - maybe more -especially the conscript one - unless he keeps them on the roads.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
12-10-2008, 04:43 AM,
All that infantry..., now if he'd been playing the Russians I could say that it looks like something I would buy. Those SMG platoons should be able to root out anything near the flags and hold on to it as well. Looking forward to LB's picks.