• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

THE MAIN EVENT II! Lord Bane vs. Matteponk
12-23-2008, 01:25 AM,
RE: THE MAIN EVENT II!
Veteran German infantry get into position...

Matteponk still has some teeth left with his vet infantry battalion. Here we see at the North flag he has a vet grenadier platoon hiding to the far left. He has another vet SMG platoon moving up in the center, (although they are all tired), and a few remnants of a SMG platoon to the right. In the building LB has only a DP LMG crew defending, out of command.

[Image: me2-71-1.jpg]

At town center, we see Matteponk has gotten two platoons in good shape into the woods near the main church. His 75mm spotter has also arrived. Lord bane has only one out of command squad in the church.

[Image: me2-70-1.jpg]

To the South, Matteponk's infantry are pretty much done for - they've been too chewed up by all of the area firing from the T34s.

[Image: me2-72-1.jpg]

IF - JUST IF - he was able to get those veteran infantry into the church and the northern house, Matteponk might force Bane's tanks in close to try to get the flags back. Could the Germans actually pull this out?

Matteponk sends a defiant message back to Lord bane:

"I see, it suddenly seems clear to me...you're running out of 85mm HE ammo, while my almost unlimited supply of panzerfaust-100s begin to take its toll. You have actually realized I will win this match..."
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
Quote this message in a reply
12-24-2008, 02:18 AM,
A few minutes of positioning and smoke dropping goes by and here we have a shot of Matteponk's last hope - he has dropped all of his 81 & 75mm artillery as smoke to set up a huge screen that envelops the whole hilltop. His surviving men are ready to advance...

[Image: me2-82.jpg]

But we see from Bane's side that almost a full Guards '44 platoon has made it into the church. Circled in the distance are some T34s in position to fire across Matteponk's route of advance.

[Image: me2-81.jpg]

The trouble with smoke drops is there are always gaps that the enemy can still spot and fire through. We see here Lord Bane's T34s can still fire between smoke gaps enough to pin and rout the Germans. In combination with the small arms fire from the church this creates a murderous crossfire - Matteponk's main attack fails!

[Image: me2-85.jpg]

But his secondary attack on the small Northern flag works - not only do his men drive the Russians out, but this tired squad actually takes out the immobilized conscript T34 that was stuck behind the building. Unt. Stephan gets his moment of glory.

[Image: me2-84.jpg]

To the North, Matteponk's last wounded AFV is being surrounded by T34s....

[Image: me2-80.jpg]

Like a gang of hungry hyenas, they mercilously gun the helpless IV70 down....

[Image: me2-83.jpg]

Matteponk spurs his men on for a few more turns, but finally, at minute 23, he gives up all hope and throws in the towel. He surrenders to Lord Bane! here is Lord Bane's victory screen:

[Image: me2-86.jpg]

Matteponk writes:

"The end...Got smacked up real bad in this one. Congatulations Scott, well done!"

Lord Bane writes:

"Good game Matteponk....it was a real knife fight."

But it looked like Lord Bane was using one of those Crocodile Dundee knives didn't it?

[Image: croc2.jpg]

Thanks to Lord Bane and Matteponk for participating in this thread, and to all who posted in it and read it. For their efforts, Lord Bane will get 100 bonus points as winner and Matteponk will get 50 bonus points.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
12-24-2008, 06:53 AM,
Who was the winner of the prediction - Mikey ??
[Image: Tiger-Sig2.jpg]
Send this user an email
12-24-2008, 10:05 AM,
Fellow CM gamers,
I just read the DAR. I would like to thank Der Keuntsler for doing this. I thought he did a really good job. His impartiality was evident. As I read it, I actually felt that Matteponk had a good chance in the battle, which might have been a little misleading on DK's part to portray it that way. :chin: But, overall, great job.
I know that some of you may not be able to truly grasp what you have just witnessed. It is ok. I think this concept of having a Main Event is a great idea and should be continued. In celebration of this fine idea I decided that only a finely crafted masterpiece of planning and execution would be appropriate. I hope you were all entertained by my efforts. I felt that I owed it to my legions of loyal fans to secure a rapid victory so that they may bask in this victory during the holiday season. Consider this my small and personal gift to you.
I want to thank my esteemed opponent Matteponk for bravely accepting the challenge even though his fate was probably sealed from the very beginning. cheers It showed true courage on his part to take such a horriffic public beating from my fast moving armored columns. My hat if off to him. :bow: There was a turn or two there that was pretty tense.
When first offered this challenge by DK, I was hesitant to accept because of my timid and modest nature. But, I am glad that I accepted so that everyone could benefit and perhaps learn a trick or two.

If anyone has any questions or comments about the battle, let me know, and I will post here so that all may see.

Humbly,
Lord Bane (FGM)
12-24-2008, 11:01 AM,
Wigam Wrote:Who was the winner of the prediction - Mikey ??

Mikey will get 25 ladder points for correctly picking the winner and the victory level, while British Tommy, Bootie, Vartuoosi, Ratzki, and Rico will each get 10 points for correctly picking Bane.
12-24-2008, 11:07 AM,
Cool.

This is an awesome idea Der Kuenstler. I hope you have the patience to play host to many more Main Events.
12-24-2008, 03:25 PM,
Once again -- GREAT work!
My thanks to DK for running the MAIN EVENT so well -- and kudos to the players for taking part and providing great spectator value! cheers

Definitely looking forward to the next one! Roll on MAIN EVENT III!!
12-24-2008, 08:49 PM,
Fantastic all round, great job by both players and extra bonus to DK for doing the hard work. Thanks to all. Ditto what Rico said about the next one.
12-24-2008, 09:41 PM,
Along with the others I would like to express my thanks to DK who did excellent work with the screenshots, photos and comments. As Oliver would say, 'can I have more please' :)
Great work by the two players especially the modest and shy Lord Bane ;)
And may I wish you all a lovely Christmas and hope Santa brings you all the war games you asked for in your Christmas list cheers
And thank you for the ten points! Big Grin
12-25-2008, 12:09 AM,
Yes, well done, that man - Der Kuenstler, Matteponk, and Lord Bane. The Main Event is a must read every day. Can't wait for the next one.

Special thanks to DK for putting it on.