• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

To Counter Battery or not to Counter Battery...
12-02-2008, 04:12 PM,
RE: To Counter Battery or not to Counter Battery...
I agree with that sentiment, first couple of turns I do blast away and then pare it back. Its just that the cunning sods I often face know whats coming and refuse to indulge me.

I always like reading whats happening in battles but often id love to know whats going through my opps mind during the arty phase, I want to know if I am effective or not, or at least inconveniencing them.
Bis peccare in bello no licet - One cannot blunder twice in war.
Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2008, 04:37 PM,
Arty......what a nasty topic. As of late it seems to be the single weapon that routs my forces and then ssmashes the remaning troops to a pulp. I don't understand why everyone wants the biggest guns they can get in the game. I prefer a game with weapons up to maybe 122mm and all onboard. This makes for a much more enjoyable game of manuver. But what I have found is that the russians, who I usually play are at a great disadvantage to the German in an even point ME where both sides are limited to say 10% arty. Here's why for those who don't see it. The germans can load up on those nasty newbie42's and hummels. THe Soviets have nothing to counter these weapons for onboard assets. Ok I know the ruskies have the Kat's but they reload so slow that they cannot compare to the german rockets for range or speed of reload. Also I have heard from my opponents that my 120mm motars are much more deadly than their same weapons. Well try to move them around, you need a heavy truck, and it takes a full turn to load them. so even if you load and prepare to move as soon as you fired, the german still has a good chance to catch them loaded and take them out. Where as the germans have the better transport units move their weapons out of harms way very quickly. Just try to catch July's newbie42's when he's on a roll.

With that said it comes down to the length of the game as to whether you want to save your guns or use them to win quickly. If you sacrafice them and get as many shots as you can before they are taken out. I like to play 60 turn games on the biggest maps available and I like to use my assests these days as if I was going to have to fight another battle right after the one I'm in. So you have to move your assets around to keep them alive and make sure you have enough ammo to keep them in the game. It gets very tricky sometimes, and when listen to what the other players are doing I feel like a rookie with the way I handle mine.

I don't know if any of this helps but reread the previous posts on this thread they all very good.

I hate arty duels.......or making the map look like the moon.

Jad
12-02-2008, 11:49 PM,
A deciding factor for me, if I'm going to CB or not, is the quality of the enemy side. CB is much more worthwhile against low morale nations like Italy, Soviet, France etc. It's easier/faster to rout the crews and they stay gone for a longer time.

As mentioned in above posts, crews from better quality nations often return after a couple of turns making the CB rather ineffective.
Divided Ground no-CD & DGVN exe: here

[Image: FARibbon.jpg]