• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Use of ships w/ latest CS-Matrix update ....
12-02-2008, 03:53 AM,
RE: Use of ships w/ latest CS-Matrix update ....
If I recall correctly, the original idea behind the transport ships were two fold.

1. To be placed in harbours as potential targets.

2. To be used in landing type scenarios where the transport would be sitting in a deep water hex (fixed) with a high value cargo (supply unit, for example). The hex between the ship and the beach would be a shallow water hex, providing a place for "reinforcements" to arrive and a place for these reinforcements to be picked up by self propelled boats and/or various landing craft.

Ultimately, if the ship is "sunk" the reinforcements wouldn't come. That would require an event editor, unfortunately, so it is still in the works for functionallity. One could use a house rule in the meantime.

TRANSPORT (fixed in deep water hex)
Shallow Hex (for reinforcements to arrive and place for self propelled boats and landing craft to pick them up.)
Deep water
Deep water
Deep water
Deep water
Deep water
Deep water
Deep water
Deep water
Deep water
Deep water
Deep water
Deep water
Shallow Hex for landing
Beach
Ground.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2008, 07:03 AM,
It sounds very contrived and unrealistic to me. Merely reinforces the fact that CS is a land warfare game, not suited to any rendition of sea warfare, apart from the bathtub level. And once again the deficiency in maritime warfare knowledge is evident.
You suggest the "transport ship" would be anchored one hex off the beach....... "The hex between the ship and the beach would be a shallow water hex." About the last place a juicy HVT would be positioned.
12-02-2008, 07:20 AM,
K K Rossokolski Wrote:It sounds very contrived and unrealistic to me. Merely reinforces the fact that CS is a land warfare game, not suited to any rendition of sea warfare, apart from the bathtub level. And once again the deficiency in maritime warfare knowledge is evident.
You suggest the "transport ship" would be anchored one hex off the beach....... "The hex between the ship and the beach would be a shallow water hex." About the last place a juicy HVT would be positioned.

Hmmm the way I read it there is 13 hexes between the ship and the beach...
12-02-2008, 07:35 AM,
K K Rossokolski Wrote:You suggest the "transport ship" would be anchored one hex off the beach....... "The hex between the ship and the beach would be a shallow water hex." About the last place a juicy HVT would be positioned.

If you look at the example above, the ship is shown nearly 3 km from the beach.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
12-02-2008, 07:54 AM,
Apologies my incorrect reading of the phrase "The hex (sic) between the ship and the beach would be a shallow water hex."