• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Truck Points Value
12-05-2008, 06:27 AM,
RE: Truck Points Value
How much longer will we waste our precious message board debating what I still regard as trivia ? How important were trucks compared to the use of Armour, Artillery, Aircraft and troops ? NOT VERY. So why don't we get back to helpful comments on Tactics or the joy of discovering great scenarios and passing on messages about them to other CS gamers.

Isn't it time we had some discussion about using the interesting new units now available through Matrix instead of criticising the developers over minor points?

To me the pleasure of this great game which I have been playing for 11 years now is in meeting and playing friends from all over the world, with winning or losing incidental to discovering the difficulties of command.
I also enjoy LCG's and even (though some would scorn me for it) playing the AI in selected scenarios of significant battles in WWII.
Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2008, 08:11 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-05-2008, 08:13 AM by Herr Straße Laufer.)
Pip Roberts Wrote:How much longer will we waste our precious message board debating what I still regard as trivia ? How important were trucks compared to the use of Armour, Artillery, Aircraft and troops ? NOT VERY. So why don't we get back to helpful comments on Tactics or the joy of discovering great scenarios and passing on messages about them to other CS gamers.

Isn't it time we had some discussion about using the interesting new units now available through Matrix instead of criticising the developers over minor points?

To me the pleasure of this great game which I have been playing for 11 years now is in meeting and playing friends from all over the world, with winning or losing incidental to discovering the difficulties of command.
I also enjoy LCG's and even (though some would scorn me for it) playing the AI in selected scenarios of significant battles in WWII.

Suggestion. If you feel it is a waste of time you can simply not read or comment to the thread. There is a "mark read" option on the forum? ;)
Maybe some of the "we" want to discuss something that "they" do not see as trivial?

It's quite simply that others do not get the same joy playing the game the way you do. Just be tolerant of all viewpoints? :chin:

RR
12-05-2008, 05:04 PM,
Pip Roberts Wrote:How much longer will we waste our precious message board debating what I still regard as trivia ? How important were trucks compared to the use of Armour, Artillery, Aircraft and troops ? NOT VERY. So why don't we get back to helpful comments on Tactics or the joy of discovering great scenarios and passing on messages about them to other CS gamers.

I have difficulty reconciling an interesting discussion on a point relevant, I understand, to the entire Scenario Bank, with your first sentence above. Increase the point value of a truck from 1 to 3 and you must have some effect on existing scenarios.

And I am sure your views on the importance of trucks would be of interest to the lads freezing in their holes, short of food water and ammo because the stuff couldn't be got to them. In the real world, while the combat arms get the kudos, they cannot function without supply, nor achieve realistic levels of manouevre without some form of mechanical transport

If this, or any other discussion, is of no interest, why then waste further space on our precious message board?
12-05-2008, 07:18 PM,
A further point I might add on "Tactics" is that the issue of truck use is much more than their use in gamesmanship.
Tactical use of the "unimportant" trucks is much more than simply loading 'em up, driving down the pike and yelling "Everybody out!!" when you reach the cutoff point. Many factors such as dead ground, enemy proximity, time and space pressures, and many more, come into play. In the real world the issues are INFINITELY more complex.
Every experienced player here, has, I am sure, felt that sick feeling of impending disaster when he confidently advances the turn, sends it off, gets the move back, plays it and the first thing he sees ....... a couple or three armoured cars materialise each side of his long line of loaded trucks, the ones of which he said last turn..."Just one more hex." That sort of disaster is now worth a lot more...to your foe!!
12-05-2008, 11:42 PM,
Pip Roberts Wrote:How much longer will we waste our precious message board debating what I still regard as trivia ? How important were trucks compared to the use of Armour, Artillery, Aircraft and troops ? NOT VERY. .

One person's "triva" is another person's "treasure?" :stir:

I believe that players have very important tactical decisions to make in JTCS scenarios when it comes to the successful deployment and utilization of transport assets.

Case in point. I'm involved in a current WF game in which the majority of my transport are pack horses with some motor transport. At first glance, a player may be inclined to dismiss the "value" of 4-legged transport as trivial. However, because of terrain, weather conditions and the need to accomplish a lot in a short time limit, I need to look for opportune ways to employ my transport assets in order for my heavy machine guns and mortars to get into positions to support my troops. :chin:

In other words, the successful deployment and utilization of transport is more then just a dull exercise of "drive them in"... "unload"... and then "get the heck out of there" activity. It involves careful planning and consideration.

Transport will not win a game for you... but the lack of transport can lose a game for you. My two cents. :chin:
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
12-06-2008, 03:14 AM,
I know I used to rely upon death by recon... This definitely penalizes that much more harshly now which is a handy addition.

Given the discussion though, I am a little stunned at the possible unintended consequences. Very interesting stuff.
12-06-2008, 05:25 AM,
medlinke Wrote:I know I used to rely upon death by recon... This definitely penalizes that much more harshly now which is a handy addition.

Given the discussion though, I am a little stunned at the possible unintended consequences. Very interesting stuff.

LOL! If you were playing me and I saw a herd of empty trucks running down the road trying to draw opt fire, we would not be playing for long. Though, some might not see it as such a penalty? ;)

If anyone wants to see the "value of the truck" they should read up on the "Redball Express" and what the Allied command was willing to sacrifice to create it. Or, what Rommel said after viewing line after line of Allied trucks moving supplies across the desert.

I have seen designers who put in every single truck for every single unit in a defensive position. How that scenario plays out is extremely effected by the new point values of trucks. A stray "blind" bombardment could gain huge points in empty trucks alone. :chin:

:chin:

RR
12-06-2008, 05:51 AM,
medlinke Wrote:I know I used to rely upon death by recon... This definitely penalizes that much more harshly now which is a handy addition.

I think you mean "recon by death"
12-06-2008, 06:47 AM,
lol...I knew that one would garner some snickers... I think you're right...Recon by Death is the tactic...Death by Recon is the outcome! :)

Jason's clearly right though about it being a scenario design issue. I think that one of the tricky things with any wargame is the balance between historical accuracy and "making the game work."

In this case I can clearly see that adding some historical accuracy has made folks have to rethink how to get their scenarios to "make the game work." Ultimately it is a game and even though there might have been some kind of non-combat transport unit present there might be a better comprimise that makes the historical scenario work as a CS scenario.
12-06-2008, 09:47 AM,
So much posting about trucks! Eek
The player who uses them incorrectly will be punished. In real life transport (with the exception of HT's ) would stay away from the front lines and sit in the rear or away from the action. In the end it's up to the players on how to use them during the battle. I have no problem with the change of points.