• Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Truck Points Value
12-02-2008, 07:26 AM,
RE: Truck Points Value
Hi,

i would happy with an "ignore" button.
The ignore marked unit is never automatic selectet by the "next" button.
So the trucks can stay RIP in a good hidden wood for the rest of the
battle,or musst the plan changed, come out and catch my troops quickly.
[the units was ignore CAN still manual selected and will after the manual
selection again in the "next unit" list]

This i know fro many other war games to handle "parked" units.

R-TEAM
Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2008, 08:03 AM,
mwest Wrote:
Chuck10mtn Wrote:IO would like to see a way to remove truck from the board without having to move them all the way to a edge hex. It just takes way too long on some of the scenarios to move them all. Just on my wish list after all it is the holiday season.

Chuck

Hi Chuck:

I don't think Santa should deliver on this wish! :stir:

IMO it is a "good" thing that players cannot remove trucks and other transport from non-edge hexes. Eek

I played a recent WF desert scenario (No, it was not you RR! :whis:) in which my armored cars were able to ambush enemy trucks that had dropped off their passengers and were motoring to the board edge.

Another example. In a current WF game, I was able to control the majority of the road network. My tactical control forced my opponent to keep his transport close and I was able to work a few light mortar units in close enough to score some hits on his trucks.

Allowing transport to drop off passengers and then be "magically" removed defeats these valid battlefield ambush tactics. It also "cheapens" the value of transport and leads to "gamey" tactics since players could drive loaded transport into battlefield areas with no regard on how to extract their valuable transport. Dismount your passengers... push a button... and poof - transport safely disappears from the battlefield! :smoke:

I fully agree with you, Mike. Trucks, loaded or otherwise, are fair game. And I think players should agree beforehand about whether transport can be removed at an edge hex.
12-02-2008, 09:23 AM,
The modification could be for play against the AI.
12-03-2008, 08:22 AM,
personally i like the increased point value for trucks,
nothin worse then a guy running his trucks up, droppin his men off and then using his trucks to then move 1 hex forward to block or impede the advance of his opponent.the new point value should curb this type of behavior...or not .
12-03-2008, 09:47 AM,
Krec Wrote:personally i like the increased point value for trucks,
nothin worse then a guy running his trucks up, droppin his men off and then using his trucks to then move 1 hex forward to block or impede the advance of his opponent.the new point value should curb this type of behavior...or not .

What you are saying here is that the prime determinant for deciding VP values should be control of player behaviour rather than the capability of the unit itself.
12-03-2008, 11:18 AM,
K K Rossokolski Wrote:eg the GM Deuce and a half (VP2 , perhaps 3) vis-a-vis the weak Italian truck (VP1).

On the other hand, is the Italian truck worth 3+ VP due to its rarity on the battlefield?

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
12-03-2008, 11:40 AM,
Jason Petho Wrote:
K K Rossokolski Wrote:eg the GM Deuce and a half (VP2 , perhaps 3) vis-a-vis the weak Italian truck (VP1).

On the other hand, is the Italian truck worth 3+ VP due to its rarity on the battlefield?

Jason Petho

I see where you are coming from, certainly the assessment of VP is no easy task, but I restate my original point.......capability is surelythe prime determinant.
On second thoughts..... are you making a devious joke?
12-03-2008, 12:39 PM,
K K Rossokolski Wrote:I see where you are coming from, certainly the assessment of VP is no easy task, but I restate my original point.......capability is surelythe prime determinant.
On second thoughts..... are you making a devious joke?

*laughs* Well no, I hadn't thought of the joke, but now that you mention it, that is freakin' hilarious!!

In addition to capability, I do believe there are more factors that are relevant; although, as you suggest, it may be prime.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
12-03-2008, 11:14 PM,
Stuka44 Wrote:I believe the higher truck value is good. Afterall although these are single battles we play, in the long run the trucks were highly valuable to transport the units to the next battle location. And I agree with the need to keep them from being used for recon and "Op Fire" suck up. [/font]
I think this is a valid point. We as commanders are fighting just one single battle of a whole 6yr war. As for the ambushing of trucks lets remember we are fighting (sometimes) just a single part of a much bigger battle,and as such the running around the end wouldn't be viable because of the battle lines. I also would hope that a scenario designer wouldn't plan victory conditions on the ability of one side to eliminate trucks to win. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I play for fun so its no big deal with me to play how you want as long as your having fun. I just want the trucks out of the way. I would be all for making trucks with no attack value to become disrupt after unloading so they couldn't move forward onto the battlefield.

Chuck
12-04-2008, 07:34 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-04-2008, 07:44 AM by Kool Kat.)
Chuck10mtn Wrote:As for the ambushing of trucks lets remember we are fighting (sometimes) just a single part of a much bigger battle,and as such the running around the end wouldn't be viable because of the battle lines.
I agree. In my JTCS games, I allow opponents to remove trucks and other transport units that move to the map edge hexes to eliminate the "running around the edge" syndrome of empty transport. :whis: I also consider trucks and other transport to be valid targets - the same as combat units.

Chuck10mtn Wrote:I also would hope that a scenario designer wouldn't plan victory conditions on the ability of one side to eliminate trucks to win.
I don't believe scenario designers would make the destruction of truck and other transport paramount victory conditions... unless you are playing a scenario that requires units to leave the map via VP exit hexes. In that case, loaded transport would count as valuable VPs and would be built into the scenario victory conditions. Since transport has VPs and pretty high value VPs... why not fire on transport? :chin:

Chuck10mtn Wrote:I just want the trucks out of the way. I would be all for making trucks with no attack value to become disrupt after unloading so they couldn't move forward onto the battlefield.
I disagree. I think this would be a very bad idea. Unless I am fighting a static, defensive battle AND have no plans to either (1.) Respond to enemy advances in other sectors (2.) Advance and engage the enemy... fine, I'll move, unload passengers and then exit my transport.

However, if you want to retain any mobility for your infantry, limber up your towed artillery, respond to enemy moves, or conduct your own offensive operations, having automatically disrupted "empty" transport units renders such units useless on the battlefield.

I usually keep truck units close (but not too close! Eek) to my front line units to perform any needed transport duties. :smoke:
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email