• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

"Swatting Flies in the South" for DF 85: Some observations (Plus other sundries)
11-26-2008, 05:33 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-04-2008, 12:45 AM by JDR Dragoon.)
"Swatting Flies in the South" for DF 85: Some observations (Plus other sundries)
WARNING: The following contains scenario spoilers.

I have just finished scenario "850610_11sa Swatting Flies in the South HTH" (WAPA vs. Austria plus a small NATO contingent) as the NATO player. AS such I couldn´t help but notice a few things about the austrian forces. I hope someone here can explain them for me:

-Two companies of the 15th Jäger BTN/6th Jäger Brigade starts the game on their respective mountaintop hexes where they can´t move away from. Worse still, if you put them into "Travel" mode in the hope that this will facilitate their getaway, they can´t change back into "Normal" movement mode again (the two companies in question are the 1/15 JG at coordinate 19,49 and the 3/15 JG at 22,46)

-The austrian army also has a company sized (110 men) unit of quality helicopterborne light infantry (the 1/1 Jagdcommando). As far as I can gather, the austrian "Jagdcommando" was/is a special forces unit. Shouldn´t it be a "Deception" capable unit? Or is it just there in order to facilitate the austrian player with a fast blocking unit?

-During the game the NATO player gets the option of inserting a french mountain battalion and an american airborne battalion by air. The american battalion (SETAF under CENTAG) has an attached battery of 105mm howitzers. This artillery battalion is simultaneously classed as "Helicopter" and "Indirect Fire". This creates the interesting catch 22 situation, that a unit classed as "Helicopter" MUST be in Travel mode in order to fire, but a unit classed as capable of "Indirect Fire" MUST be OUT of Travel mode in order to fire. Thus the unit doesn´t seem capable of firing at all! Can somebody explain to me how you use this unit?
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2008, 12:48 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-04-2008, 12:50 AM by JDR Dragoon.)
RE: "Swatting Flies in the South" for DF 85: Some observations (Plus other sundries)
After fiddling around with the OOB editor some more I discovered, that the WAPA Tank battalions in Motorrifleregiments equipped with the T80 has Thermal Sights, but WAPA T80 tank battalions in Tankregiments doesn´t. Is this intentional? Wasn´t every last T80 w. TI supposedly eliminated with the last patch (I am using DF85 1.1 btw

(For an example: open the OOB editor and look up the T80 equipped Tank Battalions in the Motorrifleregiments of the 94th GMD of the 2nd GTA).
Send this user an email
12-08-2008, 11:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-08-2008, 11:05 PM by Hans Boersma.)
RE: "Swatting Flies in the South" for DF 85: Some observations (Plus other sundries)
A deafening silence, after such interesting observations (?)
Send this user an email
12-09-2008, 12:49 AM,
Heh. Well, now the information is at least put before a wider audience, if it wasn´t so already (couldn´t find the subjects mentioned anywhere else on this forum though, but perhaps I am just bad at using the search function). This should mean that it will be corrected (unless of course there is some game balance point about the T80s having TI).
Send this user an email