• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Splitting infantry
11-30-2008, 09:04 AM,
RE: Splitting infantry
Like I said on my first post I don't split my infantry, but I have just started a battle with Sempia, and have split some unit's just to see if this as really any advantage......I don't think there is any thing written in stone to say you can't do this and of course the option is there in the game play....So it really isn't the right thing to call people shark's for using this type of play, unless of course there is a rule that say's other wise.

Would like to hear other player's views on this.

cheers Ted
REAL OPPONENTS SEE THE BATTLE OUT TO THE END, WINNING OR LOSING
Quote this message in a reply
11-30-2008, 09:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-30-2008, 09:24 AM by JasonC.)
It isn't the right thing to abuse buggy aspects of the game system for unrealistic advantages. It is the right thing to tell those who do so, to take a flying leap.

On the previous poster, splitting for extra foxholes is less gamey, but just use the "with fallback" option for the scenario and you don't need to do it. If that isn't on, then it wasn't meant to be allowed.

Splitting one or two squads in a leading wave to get small scout teams is OK. Splitting every squad to double enemy ammo use is not. No more than locating every gun just behind a crest, exploiting the game's permission to fire through the hill outgoing, but not incoming.

People who abuse bugs are gamey bastards and can kiss my...
11-30-2008, 09:28 AM,
I don't usually do it because:

a) I mostly play large (3000 pt plus) battles and it's annoying to try to manage them all.

b) The half squads pin and break too easily for me

The only time I usually split squads is to send a 1/2 squad across an open area in case of possible ambush, or to decoy my opponent into dropping his artillery on them.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
12-01-2008, 10:09 AM,
I don't feel splitting squads is gamey. Not for one minute.
When advancing across open terrain, toward an unknown (hidden enemy
positions) squad leaders of all nationalities would normally order their men
to disperse. The only way that I know off to do/achieve that in CM games is
by ordering split squads, etc.

Scouting as mentioned by me already and some others, can be simulated in
these games again by splitting a squad, etc.
Advancing towards and into a suspected enemy held woods or any other cover
for that mater, is also done in dispersement. Meaning splitting squads
again. In this case one has two options. One to advance the entire group, be
it a single squad, platoon, company etc.. Or advance only with half of it,
while the other half (with MGs) does over watch. All perfectly normal
tactics. Nothing gamey about them at all.
Besides, it is not all on the plus/positive side for a split squad. To gain
the obvious advantages, a split has it's downsides also.
For one a half squad puts out roughly half the fire power of a full one.
Not to mention the ease at which they suppress and panic under fire..
12-01-2008, 10:18 PM,
:soap: I agree with Soldier, I don't see splitting squads as 'gamey'; and according to many people in previous discussions, there's no such thing as 'gamey' anyway, just different views, (although that isn't necessarily my view).

If playing a defend scenario then I regularly split my quads in order to get the additonal foxholes for alternative defence lines, and defence in depth. Any good commander would set this up when defending a prepared postion, and this is the one way of acheiving it.

When crossing open ground again it makes sense to disperse your troops, this does mean that enemy troops are expending the full firepower on only half squads, but as previously mentioned half squads are more brittle so that tactic is a double edged sword.

I also frequently split squads for decoy purposes. It gives the impression, (initially at last), that a particular group is a larger force than it actually is, and If I can con my opponent in believing that they are a greater threat than they are, and in so doing get him to redeploy additional tropps, or expend valuable artillery in trying to meet that 'threat' then great. Valid tactics often used in actual warfare.

Lastly, there are no formation orders in CM. A squad represents a compact unit of men. If defending a building or terrain feature in real life that compact squad would naturally disperse to cover windows/doors, often on different floors, or to spread out along a treeline, ditch or hedge. You cannot order your squads to do this in CM so splitting them is the only way to try and obtain this greater tactical flexibility.

Yes I do see some things that people do in CM as 'gamey', (e.g. the ridge line thing), and a don't doubt that some people have probably thought out 'gamey' tactics when splitting squads, however I've not met one yet, and I don't see the way inwhich I use them as such.

However, as per previous 'gamey' discussions, if you don't like the way a particular opponent plays, it's your choice not to play them again.
12-01-2008, 11:05 PM,
Good to read how we feel about the subject, so like some members I agree it's not gamey, (where that word came from I don't know) I think the word we are looking for is Tactic's, now that I like !!!!

cheers Ted :kill:
REAL OPPONENTS SEE THE BATTLE OUT TO THE END, WINNING OR LOSING
12-02-2008, 12:35 AM,
Can someone confirm whether when you recombine a split squad, so they retain the morale loss, or do they revert to their original morale leve?

Thanks in advance.
12-02-2008, 02:42 AM,
The answer to the "gun behind the ridge" dilemma is the mortar. Just aim it as close to the gun as you can and some of the shells will overshoot and fall behing the ridge to kill the gun.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
12-02-2008, 09:58 AM,
Remember that when you split squads, the two halves are not equal. The one group will get the LMG and the other, most of the short range SMGs, for example. Make sure that you check out what each 1/2 squad has for weapons to be able to use them at appropriate ranges.
12-02-2008, 11:22 AM,
Forgot to mention one more and very important at that tactic, using split infantry squads.When attacking armor with anti armor Inf carried weapons, such as panzerfaust, grenade bundle and or even a molotov cocktail. Split your squad again and hide the half with the AT weapon near a turn in the road or a narrow space between impassible terrain to armor, such as wood, etc.Place the other half squad fifty to hundred meters within the front arc of the enemy tank as it either turns the corner in the road, or to enter the pass between impassible terrain to it, etc.Do not hide this half of your squad, let it be seen and also fire on the commander if exposed. While the tank crews attention is on this half squad, your hidden half now within thirty meter range, now has plenty time to attack the enemy tank two or three times if need be..