• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Tech Question
11-22-2008, 02:19 AM,
Tech Question
Since it runs the full version of Vista Business, will this ->mini-portable<- (HTC Shift) run HPS PzC? Vista is not a problem imo, I run Vista HP on my gaming system. CPU performance and resolution would be the main issues, I think.

Has anyone tried to run PzC on such a small machine before, anyone with experience? I'm thinking that for the same price one could get a decent laptop with much higher resolution and raw performance specs. At the same time this mini-portable is also a phone, the coolness factor is undeniable. Big Grin Still... it is kinda stupid money for such a small device. My work is very mobile still there are dull moments and it would be great to be able to fire up PzC to do a full or partial turn, perhaps even zip and email it too! Size is a issue, a full size laptop is not a option, a tablet pc, maybe.

The #1 factor which makes me doubt it's usability for PzC is the limited 800x640 resolution display. My gaming system sport a 2560x1600 display and I love it for battlefield overview in PzC, 800x640 maybe is just too small.

Is there anyone with experience on PDAs and mini-portables that could give some advice? I'd be very grateful.
"I sincerely believe the banking institutions having the issuing power of money are more dangerous to liberty than standing armies." - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Monroe, January 1, 1815.
Quote this message in a reply
11-22-2008, 03:42 AM,
RE: Tech Question
Not sure exactly what this device is...assuming it is a general computer that can run office and other standard windows applications.

I have used a tablet PC with the hopes of using pen based computing to play pzc with the screen folded down. It is too hard to do with all the right/left clicking and dragging required. You are going to need an external mouse for sure. As for the display size, you'll have to judge for yourself. Set the resolution to something similiar on your pc and play a few turns...can you stand it? A cool toy perhaps but you'll probably be better off with a small notebook.

Fury
11-22-2008, 12:18 PM,
Sgt Fury Wrote:A cool toy perhaps but you'll probably be better off with a small notebook.

guess so.
Dany "BigBlock" Sakr
Beirut / Lebanon
Send this user an email
11-22-2008, 02:43 PM,
I like to hook my laptop up to my 48" Bravia LCD TV in the livingroom and use my bluetooth keyboard/mouse and play from the couch :)

When the wife and kids arent about, of course.... ;)
11-25-2008, 04:59 AM,
Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate you taking the time.

Sgt Fury Wrote:A cool toy perhaps but you'll probably be better off with a small notebook.

After looking through what's available on the market, and also testing running PzC in very-low resolutions, I'm starting to arrive at this conclusion and agree with you Sgt Fury.

Thanks!
"I sincerely believe the banking institutions having the issuing power of money are more dangerous to liberty than standing armies." - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Monroe, January 1, 1815.