• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

New Member Tourny Interest
11-16-2008, 05:27 AM,
RE: New Member Tourny Interest
I live right next door to you, going by your email address. I am just outside Vancouver. I just resent it again. Why not open a yahoo account.
Quote this message in a reply
11-16-2008, 05:33 AM,
Ok, looked like zipping it worked. Shaw is good at stopping spam before it reaches me, so it probably thought the .cme extension was a spam attachment because it was coming from someone unknown to me and was an unfamiliar attachment. Thanks for your patience.
11-16-2008, 09:12 AM,
Just a quick note to say my set up has been sent off and despite the initial technical hiccup, this one is off to a good start.

Great looking map, by the way, and interesting set up. I'm glad there isn't a variable ending - I tend to underestimate the length the games can go and do poorly in them; besides, if you're taking the time to balance a map and forces, why throw a variable into the mix.

Good looking map at that - love the combo of ice and bare ground cover. Quite unique.
11-16-2008, 10:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-16-2008, 10:50 AM by Ratzki.)
Thanks, I will be releasing the map for everyone in the maps section in a couple of days. I just feel that a fight in Russia has to have howling winds and freezing temp.s in order to feel right.

Here is the who is who of the Bootcamp Mini Tourny. This post will be updated as needed.
[Image: tourny1.png]
11-16-2008, 10:46 AM,
I always liked that Combat Mission modeled "dead trees" whereas games like Squad Leader didn't differentiate the seasons for Woods terrain. Those lines of sight get surprisingly long looking through the trees in the off-season.
11-21-2008, 01:32 PM,
Oh, in the "sour grapes" department, I may as well kick things off! :-)

No big deal, but it may interest all to know that I think the German and Russian T-34s may be modelled differently in CM:BB. When I was doing pre-tourney tests for POS' Perimeter Tourney, I was actually surprised to see that in a straight shoot out between two platoons, the Germans almost always come out ahead, all other things being equal (crew quality, etc.). I just did another small test and it seems to confirm what I found out then.

Just now I did a test with the current Boot Camp Tourney file - I deleted everything but the Captured T-34s, and the Russian T-34s, evened the terrain to open ground and Level 7, and padlocked them out to 300 metres range in line abreast.

I played twelve games, 6 as Russian, 6 as German.

In each, I played until the game was over, gave no orders, just hit go.

The results as Russian were:

2 German tanks lost, 5 Russian lost
0 German tanks lost, 5 Russian lost
3 German tanks lost, 5 Russian lost

The results as German were:

1 German tank lost, 5 Russian lost
5 German tanks lost, 2 Russian lost

The Germans did manage one win, which is encouraging.

I am baffled by why this is - I don't think it is mere luck as I tried this experiment before. If others want to reproduce this, I'd be interested in their results.

Not trying to call into question the scenario or complain about "balance" or anything. You take your chances in life as in war, but it may interest ratzki for future use that the T-34 and captured T-34 as a "balancing" mechanism probably isn't. I would have mentioned this before had I remembered it or considered it important. It may not be important at that, but I find it interesting. Wonder if there is some penalty imposed on the Russians in BFC's data for crew quality or something, it being 1941?
11-21-2008, 02:12 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-21-2008, 02:15 PM by Michael Dorosh.)
Oh, needless to say, our battle has resulted in an unfavourable exchange of armour casualties!

Still in the midst of it though, and my opponent is fighting admirably, so I'm not calling it quits. I'm Russian, he's German. He's playing extremely well - he concentrated his armour, advanced in column, took advantage of the fact you can fire through your own units, did some very smart hull down Hunt commands, and basically picked off all five of my T-34s which I had also tried to keep concentrated and hull down for the loss of only 1.

By about turn 7.

Yikes.

We are now on turn 9, and I am trying to regroup an ill-timed attempt at a flanking move into the woods mass. I have some other tricks up my sleeve I won't talk about in open forum, but my anti-tank options are decidedly close-range options at this point and four T-34s against none make this something that I expect may be a brief and bloody affair. :)
11-21-2008, 02:27 PM,
The differences are the result of ammo manufacture I believe. I tried to offset this by allowing the German side to have a little better gun performance from the towed gun that each side has. It is very hard to get an exactly even battle, with differnt squad sizes, effective weapons ranges ect., this is the best one can due though. I went through both sides and evened up the ammo and smoke, ect. all to try to keep things as even as possible. I also tried to give the German side a little better cover with reguards to the map. I shortened the ranges with the weather and time of day to try to even things out as well.
As long as you guys are enjoying the battle.
11-21-2008, 04:28 PM,
Any chance of some action shots ?? Maybe a map shot. ?
[Image: Tiger-Sig2.jpg]
Send this user an email
11-21-2008, 04:30 PM,
Of burning tanks?

Nothing to see here, move along... :)