• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

"Realism" vs "Playability"
11-13-2008, 07:05 AM,
RE: "Realism" vs "Playability"
Start up the Izyum scenario in East Front as the Germans and send me a turn.

Let's play!

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
11-13-2008, 07:07 AM,
Hawk Kriegsman Wrote:When one makes a scenario with nothing but open terrain, 10 6 SP German engineer units each spaced so that no German unit is within 2 hexes of another German unit and then directly adjecent from each German unit a 3SP disrupted Russian calvary unit and then conducts the 10 assaults.

Try giving that same Cavalry unit a morale of 2 or 3.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
11-13-2008, 07:14 AM,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQCwnoMMqtA

Erik, now you are the interviewer?
It's like English has lost it's meaning.
We ask legitimate questions.
When we point out the extreme is too extreme and the easy is too easy, we are met slights and other insults, and confronted with the front is not supposed to fall off?

LOL! :smoke:

Ed

Hawk Kriegsman Wrote:Its not a tactics issue.

When one makes a scenario with nothing but open terrain, 10 6 SP German engineer units each spaced so that no German unit is within 2 hexes of another German unit and then directly adjecent from each German unit a 3SP disrupted Russian calvary unit and then conducts the 10 assaults. Then reloads the scenario and repeats do you know what he gets? The German unit taking the hex (which is the point of an assault) a mere 22 times out of 100 identical assaults for 22% success rate.

This test had nothing to do with tactics. The 1.04 assault rules are too hard.

The same scenario was done with the 1.02 rules. The German unit took the hex 100 times (100%). This too is not tactics. The 1.02 assault rule is too easy.

So yes I would like something in between.

Again its not a tactics issue.

Thanx!

Hawk
11-13-2008, 07:20 AM,
Is it going to change until 1.05? No.

Will it change in 1.05? Maybe. Maybe not.

It is still too early to tell.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
11-13-2008, 07:42 AM,
Jason Petho Wrote:Just like the Disrupt, Surround and Assault tactic. Some are better at it than others. Some took months to grasp the concept while others never grasped it at all. Some Master it completely. Different learning curves for everyone. It takes time to master them... just like the Campaign Series. It is easy to learn, difficult to master. Why not give them a chance for awhile?

Should there be the 1.02 rules, the 1.04 rules, the 1.05 toned down rules, the 1.05b toned down even more rules, the 1.05c toned down even more, but better than 1.02 rules.. etc etc.

Jason Petho

Jason:

I am trying to not take sides on the ver. 1.04 extreme assault... but this response is a real Dilbert "non-response."

It reminds me of another "non-response" answer I received from my employer. We had been using a call-in airline reservation system (talking to a live travel representative) for booking business trips for years. Then someone in corporate HQ got the bright idea to replace the live travel rep with a online booking system to save money. However, instead of allowing employees to utilize other publically available online booking tools like Expedia or Travelocity, my employer developed a home-grown online booking system that limited our search capability and was vastly inferior to the other online booking systems. I and many others complained. I even contacted and spoke with the home grown online system developer himself. His response to me and others? "You obviously need to have training on my online system and arranged for me to attend a two-day training class!"

So, I was forced to "learn" how to utilize an inferior online booking system knowing full well that it was NOT showing all available flights, was producing incorrect results and was NOT saving the company money!!

All this mess because the company refused to listen to the employees who actually used the online system on a regular basis.

There has got to be some moral to this story? :chin:
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
11-13-2008, 07:45 AM,
mwest Wrote:All this mess because the company refused to listen to the employees who actually used the online system on a regular basis.

I use the system everyday, Mike? That doesn't count, or?

Also feel free to start up the Izyum scenario in East Front as the Germans with me, if you want, Mike.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
11-13-2008, 08:06 AM,
Jason Petho Wrote:Also feel free to start up the Izyum scenario in East Front as the Germans with me, if you want, Mike.

Jason Petho

Jason:

Very good sir!

You are referencing (Ambush!) - complexity 4 (East Front) - correct?

I accept!

I usually play with all optional rules = ON (except variable visibility and armor facing).

I assume we are playing with extreme assault = ON? :P :P :P
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
11-13-2008, 08:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-13-2008, 08:11 AM by Jason Petho.)
mwest Wrote:
Jason Petho Wrote:Also feel free to start up the Izyum scenario in East Front as the Germans with me, if you want, Mike.

Jason Petho

Jason:

Very good sir!

You are referencing (Ambush!) - complexity 4 (East Front) - correct?

I accept!

I usually play with all optional rules = ON (except variable visibility and armor facing).

I assume we are playing with extreme assault = ON? :P :P :P

No, not that one.

I mean this one:

https://www.theblitz.club/scenarios/show...5&ladder=2

All options on is prefered.

You as Germans.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
11-13-2008, 09:53 AM,
Jason Petho Wrote:
Hawk Kriegsman Wrote:When one makes a scenario with nothing but open terrain, 10 6 SP German engineer units each spaced so that no German unit is within 2 hexes of another German unit and then directly adjecent from each German unit a 3SP disrupted Russian calvary unit and then conducts the 10 assaults.

Try giving that same Cavalry unit a morale of 2 or 3.

Jason Petho

I did:

It came out to 83%.

So for the 200 assaults it is only 55% success in favorable attacker conditions.

I have not even addressed units being in defensable terrain.

To me it states volumes about the 1.04 assault rules being too hard.

It is time consuming to take a unit from 6 morale to 3. In a short scenario (under 15 turns) this is very difficult to do.

Thanx!

Hawk
11-13-2008, 09:54 AM,
Jason Petho Wrote:Start up the Izyum scenario in East Front as the Germans and send me a turn.

Let's play!

Jason Petho

If you are fine with no variable visability then I am all for it.

All other options on.

Let me know.

Thanx!

Hawk