• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

"Realism" vs "Playability"
11-12-2008, 07:15 AM,
RE: "Realism" vs "Playability"
Jason if it had gone from 90% to 70 to 60% I would be happy as a clam.

It has gone from 90% to about 20% IMHO.

I can tell no difference between 1.03 and 1.04 (other than the glitch fix) in terms of assaults successful.

This has been on nearly 1000 turns and 1000+ assaults.

And I have used nothing but 1.03 and 1.04 assault rules since they came out (other than the two games I have going with someone who only has TS).

Thanx!

Hawk
Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2008, 08:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-12-2008, 08:05 AM by Huib Versloot.)
Hawk Kriegsman Wrote:This has been on nearly 1000 turns and 1000+ assaults.

Tjee that might be as many assaults as I did in my entire career of 336 games. Maybe that's the problem though.
11-12-2008, 10:42 PM,
Hawk Kriegsman Wrote:It has gone from 90% to about 20% IMHO.

I can tell no difference between 1.03 and 1.04 (other than the glitch fix) in terms of assaults successful.

I haven't played anywhere near that many turns/assaults but the above is also my feeling. The assault difficulty meter is still in the 'Very Hard'-area for the attacker.
I frequently find myself "solving" the assaults by retreating/killing the intended targets with prep fire before any assaulting can take place.
Divided Ground no-CD & DGVN exe: here

[Image: FARibbon.jpg]
11-13-2008, 05:58 AM,
zeiss Wrote:
Hawk Kriegsman Wrote:It has gone from 90% to about 20% IMHO.

I haven't played anywhere near that many turns/assaults but the above is also my feeling. The assault difficulty meter is still in the 'Very Hard'-area for the attacker.
I frequently find myself "solving" the assaults by retreating/killing the intended targets with prep fire before any assaulting can take place.

Herr Zeiss,

I've reported as many games as Hawk.
That is what we've been trying to say about changing the game itself and every scenario made. A limited few scenarios can be won without the use of assaults. Stepping back to shoot a unit to death just slows the game even more than the process of assault itself?
When told we have a "toned down" assault formula and it is still too hard, what are we to do?

Regards,

Ed
11-13-2008, 06:24 AM,
The Optional 1.04 rules do give the opportunity to go back and play all the hundreds of old scenarios again to try out new tactics and strategies.

Will they play differently? Of course.

Does it add some excitement of the unknown to them? You bet.

Will you get the results that you expect all the time? Nope.

Can you still play the old scenarios using the old rules? Yes indeed!

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
11-13-2008, 06:38 AM,
Jason Petho Wrote:The Optional 1.04 rules do give the opportunity to go back and play all the hundreds of old scenarios again to try out new tactics and strategies.

Will they play differently? Of course.

Does it add some excitement of the unknown to them? You bet.

Will you get the results that you expect all the time? Nope.

Can you still play the old scenarios using the old rules? Yes indeed!

Jason Petho

So in a nutshell you are basically saying that the assault rules are staying as is and my choices are play with 1.02 (too easy) and 1.04 (too hard)?

Is that about correct?

Thanx!

Hawk
11-13-2008, 06:42 AM,
Hawk Kriegsman Wrote:So in a nutshell you are basically saying that the assault rules are staying as is and my choices are play with 1.02 (too easy) and 1.04 (too hard)?

Is that about correct?

They aren't too hard once you get the hang of it.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
11-13-2008, 06:47 AM,
Jason Petho Wrote:
Hawk Kriegsman Wrote:So in a nutshell you are basically saying that the assault rules are staying as is and my choices are play with 1.02 (too easy) and 1.04 (too hard)?

Is that about correct?

They aren't too hard once you get the hang of it.

Jason Petho

That really did not answer my question, but rather indicated that I must have a level of incompetence with the 1.04 assaults.

Please refer the above post where I stated that assaults when from 90% success down 20% success (backed up by Mr. RR and zeiss).

I asked a simple question and you instead insulted me.

If you don't want to answer the question fine, but please don't insult my ability to play the game.

Thanx!

Hawk
11-13-2008, 06:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-13-2008, 06:54 AM by Jason Petho.)
Hawk Kriegsman Wrote:That really did not answer my question, but rather indicated that I must have a level of incompetence with the 1.04 assaults.

Please refer the above post where I stated that assaults when from 90% success down 20% success (backed up by Mr. RR and zeiss).

If you don't want to answer the question fine, but please don't insult my ability to play the game.

Thanx!

Hawk

No insult nor disrespect was intended.

Just like the Disrupt, Surround and Assault tactic. Some are better at it than others. Some took months to grasp the concept while others never grasped it at all. Some Master it completely. Different learning curves for everyone. It takes time to master them... just like the Campaign Series. It is easy to learn, difficult to master. Why not give them a chance for awhile?

Should there be the 1.02 rules, the 1.04 rules, the 1.05 toned down rules, the 1.05b toned down even more rules, the 1.05c toned down even more, but better than 1.02 rules.. etc etc.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
11-13-2008, 07:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-13-2008, 07:04 AM by Hawk Kriegsman.)
Jason Petho Wrote:
Hawk Kriegsman Wrote:That really did not answer my question, but rather indicated that I must have a level of incompetence with the 1.04 assaults.

Thanx!

Hawk

No insult nor disrespect was intended.

Just like the Disrupt, Surround and Assault tactic. Some are better at it than others. Some took months to grasp the concept while others never grasped it at all. Some Master it completely. Different learning curves for everyone. It takes time to master them... just like the Campaign Series. It is easy to learn, difficult to master. Why not give them a chance for awhile?

Should there be the 1.02 rules, the 1.04 rules, the 1.05 toned down rules), the 1.05b toned down even more rules, the 1.05c toned down even more, but better than 1.02 rules.. etc etc.

Jason Petho

Its not a tactics issue.

When one makes a scenario with nothing but open terrain, 10 6 SP German engineer units each spaced so that no German unit is within 2 hexes of another German unit and then directly adjecent from each German unit a 3SP disrupted Russian calvary unit and then conducts the 10 assaults. Then reloads the scenario and repeats do you know what he gets? The German unit taking the hex (which is the point of an assault) a mere 22 times out of 100 identical assaults for 22% success rate.

This test had nothing to do with tactics. The 1.04 assault rules are too hard.

The same scenario was done with the 1.02 rules. The German unit took the hex 100 times (100%). This too is not tactics. The 1.02 assault rule is too easy.

So yes I would like something in between.

Again its not a tactics issue.

Thanx!

Hawk