• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Possible Elevation Glitch?
11-10-2008, 01:29 AM,
Possible Elevation Glitch?
Hello All,

I was moving a vehicle along a paved road and could not move up a hill (which also had the same paved road) due to elevation exceeds vehicle capability.

Now while I understand it for off road movement. Shouldn't a road negate that?

Thanx!

Hawk
Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2008, 03:00 AM,
RE: Possible Elevation Glitch?
Which scenario/map?
I've seen it in other scenarios. I thought it had to do with the maps base elevation. And, I recall it was once caused by a hidden roadblock.

Ed
11-10-2008, 03:15 AM,
It's a design error. Elevation step is too steep (there being a road doesn't make a difference)
11-10-2008, 03:49 AM,
Section 13.5 of the manual states that vehicles cannot cross an elevation delta of a hexside that is > 50.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
11-10-2008, 04:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-10-2008, 04:37 AM by umbro.)
As Huib points out this is likely a scenario designer oversight. What is the name of the scenario?

To fix it open the map file for the scenario in the map editor and select "Elevations" under the "Values" menu.

Change the delta value so that the change in elevation on that road will be less than 50. (e.g. if the road goes up 2 elevations and the delta is 25 the total change for that hexside is 50, so change the delta to 20.) In most cases altering the delta by a small amount will not effect game play, especially if it is initially set high.

umbro
11-10-2008, 04:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-10-2008, 04:55 AM by Jason Petho.)
Keep in mind, maybe the scenario designer actually designed it that way. Although, more than likely that is not the case.

But, for example, I am designing a scenario that depicts the actions of the Israeli 9th Brigade on it's journey south towards Sharm E-Sheikh in 1956 (for Modern Wars: Volume I) and there is a section of "road" that allows the vehicles to traverse down, but not back up.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
11-10-2008, 05:33 AM,
umbro Wrote:As Huib points out this is likely a scenario designer oversight. What is the name of the scenario?

To fix it open the map file for the scenario in the map editor and select "Elevations" under the "Values" menu.

Change the delta value so that the change in elevation on that road will be less than 50. (e.g. if the road goes up 2 elevations and the delta is 25 the total change for that hexside is 50, so change the delta to 20.) In most cases altering the delta by a small amount will not effect game play, especially if it is initially set high.

umbro

Thanks Umbro.
I'd be interested to see which scenario this is.

Ed
11-10-2008, 12:47 PM,
Hello All,

The scenario is "Up From the Sea" and there is a paved road from 27,8 to 28,7 that cannot be traversed.

I don't really understand all the delta stuff that you guys are mentioning to be honest.

I would think though if you put a paved road between 2 hexes then vehicles should be able to cross it in both directions. After all a paved road was made using vehicles (the Burma road being an exception) like dump truck, bulldozers and the like.

It does not seem very realistic to have a paved road on the map that vehicles cannot use.

Thanx!

Hawk
11-10-2008, 01:07 PM,
Have to agree with Hawk there...that vehicles should be able to use a paved road seems like common sense to me.
I do tend to think it is a long term sleeping problem, rather than a specific JTCS issue. I seem to recall a couple of similar problems back in the 20th Century.
11-10-2008, 01:11 PM,
Good catch. The "delta" is the change in height from one elevation to the next measured in metres. This map is set to a delta of 33m, thus if a two step elevation change exists on a road the road becomes impassable to vehicles.

The road in question is Green Lane out of Buckland, which, though it rises is certainly not impassable.

I have mailed you a corrected map where the road should be navigable. If this is not against the computer your opponent should have the same map file as you, whichever you decide to use.

umbro