• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

LEAVE 1.04 ALONE !
11-10-2008, 03:37 PM,
RE: LEAVE 1.04 ALONE !
I've written down Road Runner's post that four groups already exist!!
It's what I feared. I will have to discuss with my opponents what version we are going to play !!
As it's already got so complicated I can only hope that most developers will
consistently offer us 1.04. This is very important and I would like to hear what developers think.

I do not understand how we can use extreme assault and /or variable visibility which seem to increase the chances of incompatibility which I fear.

For myself I am currently playing
1. The Original CS
2. The Original Matrix (version 2.0 it says.)

I realise that when I load 1.04 the Original Matrix will disappear so I will still have only 2 types of game and avoid complications and incompatibilty problems
1. The original CS
2. Matrix 1.04
Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2008, 03:51 PM,
What I feared has already happened!!
Now we have 4 versions +/- assault and visibility options (which I do not understand) and unknown incompatibilites.

I can only hope that developers will standardise on a simple version of 1.04
I would like to hear their views before we go back to the bad old days
which I hoped we had left behind !!!
11-10-2008, 04:13 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-10-2008, 04:14 PM by Jason Petho.)
Pip Roberts Wrote:What I feared has already happened!!
Now we have 4 versions +/- assault and visibility options (which I do not understand) and unknown incompatibilites.

I can only hope that developers will standardise on a simple version of 1.04
I would like to hear their views before we go back to the bad old days
which I hoped we had left behind !!!

Actually, there are more versions than that when all is tallied from the original release of East Front back in 1997.

There is Talonsoft East Front 1.08.

There is Talonsoft East Front II 1.02.

There is Talonsoft East Front II 1.03.

There is the Talonsoft East Front II ASDN patching option.

There is Talonsoft West Front 1.05.

There is Talonsoft West Front 1.06.

There is the Talonsoft East Front Blitz PB#1 optional CD.

Of course, there is also Rising Sun and its variations.

For Matrix there is:

1.00, which is the original release version.

1.01 came out shortly after to make it Vista Compatible.

1.02 was a significant update -- cumulative.

1.03 was a major update -- cumulative.

Finally there is 1.04 which is also cumulative.

New purchases will be usually up to date with the latest version of the release, meaning that you cannot buy a 1.00 version any longer, they are more than likely the 1.04 version from Matrix.

1.04 is the latest update and is the supported update. That provides optional rules for additional elements that were added with 1.03.
That being the case, for Matrix, there is now one version with a couple additional options available for gameplay.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
11-10-2008, 08:03 PM,
John Tiller's HPS PZC Series has a checkbox with 23 optional rules. Yet in that community nobody has ever stated or complained that there are different versions around.

Matrix offers just one version: 1.04 with some optional rules.
With every software upgrade there will always be moaners and complainers who are not satisfied because it is not 100% how they thought it should be and forget about the things that were wrong in the past and that are now corrected. With gaming software this is apparently the same as with professional industrial[/align] software I support in my job.

I think it is best to leave a large timespan between updates that affect the game engine. The communication and release management of 1.03-1.03a-1.04 was quite amateuristic, I admit. But then again, the team consists of unpaid volunteers only. The contents of 1.04 is very professional though and that is what counts in the end.
11-10-2008, 08:16 PM,
Huib Wrote:John Tiller's HPS PZC Series has a checkbox with 23 optional rules.

So even more than in my Battleground games :P

As I said, for me everything is OK as long as it is not mandatory. Freedom of choice. In that case we don't talk about different game versions, we just talk about different sets of Rules of Engagement. You all remember the neverending discussions about house rules? :hissy:

And one closing remark:
Quote:With every software upgrade there will always be moaners and complainers who are not satisfied because it is not 100% how they thought it should be and forget about the things that were wrong in the past and that are now corrected.

With all due respect to you hard work, they are not moaners and complainers, Huib. They are customers, who paid for the product. If they think that there is something wrong with what they paid for, they at least should be listen to.

Best regards

Slawek cheers
"We do not beg for Freedom, we fight for it!"

http://swalencz.w.interia.pl
11-10-2008, 10:54 PM,
Valor Wrote:With all due respect to you hard work, they are not moaners and complainers, Huib. They are customers, who paid for the product. If they think that there is something wrong with what they paid for, they at least should be listen to.

Jason and the team listen to everybody but if a few customers refuse to send examples of what they think is wrong in file format, hence continue to complain, the process of listening to those stops as well, because other than ignoring there is nothing you can do really.
11-11-2008, 05:23 AM,
Thanks Jason, I knew you would sort it out

1.04 is the supported version and that's it and should end the confusion.
I gather that there are some new options ( like there used to be for front facing armour etc.)
Hopefully we can all get on with 1.04 with a few hanging on to the original Matrix and old Talonsoft versions.

I hope this discussion has stopped the picky complaints about the magnificent job of upgrading that we now have available for play
11-11-2008, 05:24 AM,
Huib Wrote:
Valor Wrote:With all due respect to you hard work, they are not moaners and complainers, Huib. They are customers, who paid for the product. If they think that there is something wrong with what they paid for, they at least should be listen to.

Jason and the team listen to everybody but if a few customers refuse to send examples of what they think is wrong in file format, hence continue to complain, the process of listening to those stops as well, because other than ignoring there is nothing you can do really.

LOL! That does not abrogate the fact that you call the customers, who pony up the bucks, complainers and moaners?
They are customers regardless of whether they jump through your hoops or not.
And, as Jason pointed out, all new customers with have the "supported" latest upgrade, while as Pip pointed out, the upgrades are fracturing the community.

Ford Motor Company does not ask me to take out a wrench and remove parts to make my car run as promised. Then tell me that I should have bought one of their trucks instead?

And, in the initial comments made, it was stated that the assault rules were too hard. Not questioned how they work. That seems to have been missed on the team of volunteers who saw only the moaners and complainers?

Condescension is never an answer to an honest question or complaint?
Ask any business owner how well they do when they continually belittle their customers?

RR
11-11-2008, 05:28 AM,
Pip Roberts Wrote:I hope this discussion has stopped the picky complaints about the magnificent job of upgrading that we now have available for play

"Magnificent" is in the eye of the beholder. Some do not share it?

"Picky complaints"? Not really.
Who were the "picky complainers" who forced the extreme assault rules, for whatever reason, upon us in the first place?

RR
11-11-2008, 06:05 AM,
MrRoadrunner Wrote:
Pip Roberts Wrote:I hope this discussion has stopped the picky complaints about the magnificent job of upgrading that we now have available for play

"Magnificent" is in the eye of the beholder. Some do not share it?

"Picky complaints"? Not really.
Who were the "picky complainers" who forced the extreme assault rules, for whatever reason, upon us in the first place?

RR

Some do not share it indeed. You can't please everyone, but we try. That's why is optional. Nobody is forced anything. And your "us" has been very vague all along. I don't have the impression you are the spokesman of many, even if your voice is loud.
I'm not going over that debate again. This is about the version we support at the moment and that is 1.04. Question answered.