• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Panzerfausts & Panzerschreks in Afrika ?
10-27-2008, 07:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-28-2008, 05:48 AM by Jobu88.)
Panzerfausts & Panzerschreks in Afrika ?
I need some info from some of the Blitz's resident historians.

Did the Germans employ Panzerfausts or Panzerschreks in North Afrika? In all my life reading about and looking at photos of WWII, I have never seen them mentioned. German forces in Tunisia surrendered I believe on May 7 or May 8, 1943 -- were these weapons available then??
"A bad plan is still better than no plan at all." -- Mikhail Tal

[Image: pzV.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
10-27-2008, 09:00 AM,
RE: Panzerfausts & Panzerschreks in Afrika ?
All Afrika Korps troops were out of North Africa by may 43, and the Panzerfaust didn't enter service until August 43... the Panzerschrek even later, so there's no way at all there would of been any in North Africa.

At least that's what I gather, unless someone can prove me wrong?
10-27-2008, 09:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-27-2008, 09:19 AM by Mad Russian.)
Jobu88 Wrote:I need some info from some of the Blitz's resident historians.

Did the Germans employ Panzerfausts or Panzerschreks in North Afrika? In all my life reading about and looking at photos of WWII, I have never seen them mentioned. German forces in Tunisia surrendered I believe on May 7 or May 8, 1943 -- we these weapons available then??

The Panzerschreck was a copy of the American bazooka that was captured in North Africa. So no, there were no Panzerschrecks in North Africa.

Panzerfausts were manufactured starting in 1943. Too late for North Africa.

Here is a website with some good information about the two of them:

Panzerschrek and Panzerfaust Data

Good Hunting.

MR
10-28-2008, 01:08 AM,
As well, I don't think the newer antitank magnetic mines and such were out yet either, i.e. the kind you run up and stick on a tank or the ones you throw.
10-28-2008, 05:49 AM,
Thanks all, especially Mad Russian for the link to the PF / PS page. Amazing what's out there on the internet these days.
"A bad plan is still better than no plan at all." -- Mikhail Tal

[Image: pzV.jpg]
10-29-2008, 11:11 AM,
herroberst Wrote:As well, I don't think the newer antitank magnetic mines and such were out yet either, i.e. the kind you run up and stick on a tank or the ones you throw.

The Hafthohlladung (magnetic mine) was first issued in November 1942. Manufacture stopped in 1944 because the manufacture of sufficiently strong magnets actually made it more expensive than the Panzerfaust 60. While it theoretically could have appeared in North Africa, the demand on the Eastern Front must have been overwhelming.
10-29-2008, 02:49 PM,
Of course all of this could be added to any CMAK scenario by changing the time frame. That could have some interesting effects..the Germans with PS and PF in North Afrika.

Good Hunting.

MR