• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

ZOC'S again
10-26-2008, 05:33 PM,
ZOC'S again
Gotta say this rule(s) really got me perplexed what is best? it just seems that having a lone armored car in travel mode shoud'nt be able to lock down a a battalion...this is the one crux of the game system that really needs to be addresed.Why not just allow breakdown to company and even platoon level?:hissy:
Quote this message in a reply
10-26-2008, 05:52 PM,
RE: ZOC'S again
The other ZOC that is a pain, is in a game I am playing 4 Russians units get across a bridge all ok but an Axis unit is on the far bank of the river.

Because my units are on the last hex at thebottum of the map and to to the next hex would meen taking them next to this unit they cant move and become isolated.

I dont think that is correct
10-26-2008, 09:14 PM,
funny you should say that in a game im playing now...karkov 42' my opponet i am german slipped about 8 battalions across the donets I pinched off his bridgehead via zoc my inf against armour is 0 range hex yet he cant cross and i am now blasting his inf to bits,same type thing works with close assaults you can assault threw or adjacent zoc's at no penalty:chin:
10-26-2008, 10:05 PM,
Well is a little difficult to work out from the info you have provided exactly what the issue is here (a screenshot would help), that said i do understand that there are ways the ZOC rules can be exploited to good effect by clever players, but remember the rule is there to give a defender some way of stopping movement when it is the attackers turn otherwise defending would be impossible. :(

I should imagine if Glenn reads this post he will point out there are three versions of the ZOC rule in these titles and it maybe you are not using the version that suits your taste the best? :chin:
10-27-2008, 12:14 AM,
I do find it odd that a ZOC can extend into a hex that the unit can't enter, like across an unbridged major river. Other that that I think they work pretty well.
10-27-2008, 01:15 AM,
James Ward Wrote:I do find it odd that a ZOC can extend into a hex that the unit can't enter, like across an unbridged major river. Other that that I think they work pretty well.

James, in the discussions there has been about this in the past the thinking behind that situation was that ZOC also represented the interdiction of a hex through the firepower of a defending unit, so if you are walking along the opposite river bank you can still be shot at even if the enemy cannot physically reach you. :chin:
10-27-2008, 01:21 AM,
I understand about being shot at from the far bank, and would be prepared to take casualties, but in my case have 4 regiments of infantry stuck,just seems to me to be wrong.[/i]
10-27-2008, 02:51 AM,
Bidermann (FGM) Wrote:I understand about being shot at from the far bank, and would be prepared to take casualties, but in my case have 4 regiments of infantry stuck,just seems to me to be wrong.[/i]

Well of course there will always be situations (like the edge of the world) where the rule does not work as in should.

If i could see your problem i might be able to help you out.
10-27-2008, 03:45 AM,
Panzer Campiagns allows for three different models for using ZOC in this game. I'm not sure there s another wargame out there that does this. These are defined in the docs and one of them requires a PDT Edit to further define the effect.

My advice to anyone who doesn't like the ZOC rules they are playing with, is to try one of the other cases.

Glenn
Send this user an email
10-27-2008, 06:23 AM,
Glenn Saunders Wrote:Panzer Campiagns allows for three different models for using ZOC in this game. I'm not sure there s another wargame out there that does this. These are defined in the docs and one of them requires a PDT Edit to further define the effect.

My advice to anyone who doesn't like the ZOC rules they are playing with, is to try one of the other cases.

Glenn
Yippee! I get a crate of beer for reading Glenn's mind ! cheers