• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Wired Bridges
10-24-2008, 06:48 AM,
Wired Bridges
Can supplies trace a path over a wired bridge?
Quote this message in a reply
10-24-2008, 07:05 AM,
RE: Wired Bridges
Yes if it is not damaged i would imagine it effects supply just like a "normal" bridge.

Unless anybody knows different.........:chin:
10-24-2008, 10:28 AM,
Of course - unless you have some example where it doesn't seem to, in which case you should send a sample file.

There are an awful lot of wired bridges in some games like MG44, France 40 and Minsk 44.

Glenn
Send this user an email
10-24-2008, 05:21 PM,
Glenn Saunders Wrote:Of course - unless you have some example where it doesn't seem to, in which case you should send a sample file.

There are an awful lot of wired bridges in some games like MG44, France 40 and Minsk 44.

Glenn

Is it not strange that bridges will be blown if the enemy troops show up but the bridge gaurds are more than happy to stand back and let the enemy supply convoys over.
10-25-2008, 01:06 AM,
Hmm.that would be difficult to acheive in practice....
10-25-2008, 03:46 AM,
FLG Wrote:Is it not strange that bridges will be blown if the enemy troops show up but the bridge gaurds are more than happy to stand back and let the enemy supply convoys over.

I'd have to see the situation in a BTL file where VST would pass over a wired Bridge and an enemy combat unit hasn't entered the hex. You might have a case for a change\fix here - but I would need to see it in a file first - and a file from a actual game, not just a setup file to illustrate the point.

Glenn
Send this user an email
10-25-2008, 05:27 AM,
FLG Wrote:Is it not strange that bridges will be blown if the enemy troops show up but the bridge guards are more than happy to stand back and let the enemy supply convoys over.

I would say if the wired bridge is behind your lines the supply convoys get over it just fine since the bridge guards are dead, captured or run away.

Now if one of your combat units approaches the bridge it has a chance to still collapse up. That is a compromise in the "gray area" of the simulation. I guess one could say the bridge collapsed under the weight of the combat troops. In such a case the bridge guards set off their explosives before being killed, captured, or running away. The result was the bridge was weakened, but did not collapse for some time after being used by the enemy.
Think of the Remagen bridge across the Rhine in 1944. The bridge demo charges were exploded, but the Americans could cross it as the span was still intact. The span did collapse about two days after the area was secured.
A little imagination being used here to interpret the game results.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
10-25-2008, 05:59 AM,
Dog Soldier Wrote:I would say if the wired bridge is behind your lines the supply convoys get over it just fine since the bridge guards are dead, captured or run away.

Right - makes sense - but the game has no way to define which hexes (or in this case hexsides) are behind your lines

Quote:Now if one of your combat units approaches the bridge it has a chance to still collapse up. That is a compromise in the "gray area" of the simulation.

The big question - and ~I am assuming your talking VST rules here - is there is no unit crossing the bridge as the Supply Trucks are "VIRTUAL" so there is no unit to trigger the demolition.

So I would say we would have to look at this situation.

If it causes a real problem in game terms then we might have to make a programming change. I can certainly imagine it could in theory be a problem. But a theoretical problem doesn't get a lot of attention. If it can happen in the can, and is common enough and will or could have enough effect, then we can get John to look into it.

Glenn
Send this user an email
10-25-2008, 07:13 AM,
Glenn Saunders Wrote:If it causes a real problem in game terms then we might have to make a programming change. I can certainly imagine it could in theory be a problem. But a theoretical problem doesn't get a lot of attention. If it can happen in the can, and is common enough and will or could have enough effect, then we can get John to look into it.

The reason I asked the question is because I am playing France and was just looking at supply routes through the Ardennes where the majority of the bridges are wired. It occurred to me that if I didn't trigger a bridge it would most likely allow supplies to flow through it and I could have a free flowing supply route straight through the forest.

As for proving it, how would I do that without creating a route like this myself.
10-25-2008, 08:47 AM,
In France 40, the wired Bridges was a method I used to simulate road damage, trees fallen accross the road and such things like that which historically cause the Germans to be delayed.

....so each time you see a wire bridge that isn't tripped, it isn't really a guarded bridge with a man from one side watching a truck from the other side drive by.

Now if Allied VST Supply was crossing a wired Bridge in MG 44 - and I suppose that is possible - a bridge that hasn't been crossed by Allied units yet, tat might be worth considering as these were actually Bridges that were wired for demolition and posted with a guard.

Glenn
Send this user an email