• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

"To fire or not to fire, that is the question?"
10-24-2008, 03:25 AM,
RE: "To fire or not to fire, that is the question?"
When playing Russians , I carry out defence fire with fingers crossed!! and eyes closed!!!! lol. In fact that goes for Russians firing in attack or defence Big Grin lol . I think I will have to up my dose of Valium when playing as a Russian, but I love playing as a Russian there is no hope for me.
Quote this message in a reply
10-24-2008, 04:06 AM,
Liebchen Wrote:
Marquo Wrote:...one of the few times I breakdown units is in bunkers or pillboxes for exactly the reason Rick stated.

But you're also increasing each individual unit's risk of breaking, aren't you? It sounds like six of one, half a dozen of the other, to me.

The risk of disruption does go up but I find it much harder to turf a broken down unit out of hard position.
10-24-2008, 04:11 AM,
Hadge Wrote:Foul...

As you well know ..I always hunker in my bunker ......!

As a general rule (not being a desert rat tha' knows) I would never fire defensivilly from a Bunker (or pillbox) ...prefering to allow the " threat of a defensive threat" to take away the offensive initiative from my opponent.

It is, as always, a matter of personality and character, as how to how one approaches such obstacles...

if you have had no beer - you might like to take the recon POV - the suss it out, and be cautious attiude.

If you have had three beers - then you may try the "lets go for the - throw a few stones, and attempt a disruption" approach.

If you have had several more beers, then you may become reckless and carefree, and go for the " I really dont give a *amn" " scenario, and just give the hex a good whollop ..im on a high ..*ugger the end result type situation .........

Either way ... we all just want to take that hex..... dont we ??

So ..I will refer you all back to paragraph 3...and hope you enjoy the curent cunundrem....

as always

cheers

Chris
Yup, i would guess that your attacking options may be affected by your "sauce" levels, but your ability to be flexible no matter the amount of sauceness you experience does you credit. :bow:

cheersToastcheersToast
10-24-2008, 04:15 AM,
Thanks for your feedback guys, it is interesting that this is a offensive issue as well as a defensive one, i am playing my first MG44 CG and having to be very careful how i handle the D quality 406 Div attacking against the A quality US Para's, if i get two shots off without a defensive fire reply i never take that third shot, too risky! ;)
10-24-2008, 04:16 AM,
Bidermann (FGM) Wrote:When playing Russians , I carry out defence fire with fingers crossed!! and eyes closed!!!! lol. In fact that goes for Russians firing in attack or defence Big Grin lol . I think I will have to up my dose of Valium when playing as a Russian, but I love playing as a Russian there is no hope for me.

I have found in my Moscow game that defensive fire is the way to go, even though they disrupt so easily. As the axis started to draw close to Moscow, Comrade Stalin ordered "Not one more yard to be given up". Every yard was to be fought for. That was three days ago and we have only been pushed back about 5 km since then. The enemy is taking such a pounding he has having to swap out his front line units almost every turn.

In that time my front line has been all but smashed, but it has given me time to put another division in place behind the front line, start others moving on their way, it has allowed my previously broken troops to repair, rest and start rebuilding and most importantly has brought the arrival of my Siberian hordes much closer.

So in some circumstances it is better to fight back , rather than just accept your fate without making the other guy pay. I think fastphil said it best, there are many different factors as to when to fire back or not, there is no hard and fast rule.
10-24-2008, 04:22 AM,
FLG Wrote:So in some circumstances it is better to fight back , rather than just accept your fate without making the other guy pay. I think fastphil said it best, there are many different factors as to when to fire back or not, there is no hard and fast rule.
In the situation you describe you are 100% correct because you have fresh units to man a second line, so you must make the Germans pay in men and fatigue, if you didn't have fresh reserves then firing a having your units disrupt would just speed up your destruction, making the attacker pay a minimum of one third of his MP's to achieve a disruption really does slow a offensive down IMO.
10-24-2008, 04:55 AM,
Foul. Wrote:
FLG Wrote:So in some circumstances it is better to fight back , rather than just accept your fate without making the other guy pay. I think fastphil said it best, there are many different factors as to when to fire back or not, there is no hard and fast rule.
In the situation you describe you are 100% correct because you have fresh units to man a second line, so you must make the Germans pay in men and fatigue, if you didn't have fresh reserves then firing a having your units disrupt would just speed up your destruction, making the attacker pay a minimum of one third of his MP's to achieve a disruption really does slow a offensive down IMO.

Very true, you can't use the fight for every inch technique if you only have a single line, otherwise you are going down fast.
10-24-2008, 05:06 AM,
This just one of many reasons why I love panzer campaigns there is so much depth to the game.
10-24-2008, 05:39 AM,
FLG Wrote:The risk of disruption does go up but I find it much harder to turf a broken down unit out of hard position.

What your seeing here is an effect that was intentionally designed in teh game. The idea is IF a Unit is Broken, its guys are scattered about a wide area and in general they are hunkered down. Obviously not firing back (you can't shot with a broken unit) and your best option is to surround and assult - thus taking extra men from the broken unit by CAPTURE. But standing off and shooting over the heads of guys hunkered down taking whatever protection they can't, won't result in many kills.

...if you follow the reasoning! It is all rather simple and yet elegant in design.

Glenn
Send this user an email