• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

people selling games off on ebay
10-22-2008, 02:01 PM,
people selling games off on ebay
Sorry I have trouble getting my head around this, for the small amount you will get from selling games is it not best to hold onto them?

its not as if they take up alot of room,so my advice would be is just hold on to the games you might want to play them again.

Or is it that the games have been hacked so you will carry on playing them and make a few bucks on the side:stir:
Quote this message in a reply
10-22-2008, 02:14 PM,
RE: people selling games off on ebay
With me, it's mostly about the rare games.

I used to play a lot of Dungeons and Dragons back in the day, and some of their older products have become quite rare...and valuable. I tried bidding on one dungeon adventure that originally sold for about $15 in the store. Bidding got up to over $50 before I bailed out (started around $20)

I also still play super nintendo, and many of the game cartridges have become quite rare as well -some sell for up to $100 if it had the original box and booklet included.

But that's all for buyers I guess - when it comes to selling - dunno, haven't really looked into it much, but those who make money at it tend to be pretty knowledgeable, internet-wise. I have a lot of old gaming materials I know I'll never use again - mostly Twilight 2000, Car Wars, Battletech, and Star Fleet Battles stuff - but I've been too busy to look into how to sell it.

As far as hacking - that's something that would have to be done inside one's computer - the CD itself should be fine, if it is indeed a factory CD and not a ripped bootleg copy.
Thus, what is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Sun Tzu
10-22-2008, 05:58 PM,
I am inclined to agree with Bidermann they don't take up a lot of room and who know's as time go's by they might become popular again,but of course people who know me, know that I am a hoard'er

LOL

cheers Ted
REAL OPPONENTS SEE THE BATTLE OUT TO THE END, WINNING OR LOSING
10-22-2008, 09:47 PM,
True, they do not take up a lot of space, but do not discount the fact that for a lot of people money is always tight. If you have a rack full of games that you just don't play anymore why not move 2 or 3 for $15 or $20 apiece and use the money to pick up a new title?
10-22-2008, 11:46 PM,
As the games age and new computers and operating systems come out, the likelihood that you will accumulate games that you can't play anymore.

In particular, with each major iteration of OS (Win98 to WinXP to Vista), a few games drop out of the mix. Not everyone has the room or the desire to keep an old machine around to play old games, and not everyone has the desire or technical savvy to tweak OS settings or install dual-boot configurations just to play old games, either.

Those could be driving at least some of the turnover in games.
10-23-2008, 12:49 AM,
I sell quite a few games over ebay... well the ones I dont give away... LOL

My reasoning is simple.

It can lie on my desk gathering dust or I can make £10 on it, post it for £1.40 to the buyer and have £8.60 in my pocket towards a new game. Its a no brainer to be honest.
10-30-2008, 05:41 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-30-2008, 06:14 PM by Daroc.)
Hi,

I was one of those selling my games.

I have did this several times. Ask Chris at NWS they are all original

and I got them thru him.

I haven't posted a game on this site in a long time.

The reason I never played the games.

I could never gat past more then a few days into a long campaign before my interest would wander and no desire to finish what I started.

Thx,

Daroc
10-30-2008, 06:35 PM,
I haven't been on ebay to look and see what you can get, or how much they are going for, but going to a good old British car boot sale and I bought a 4 disc game for, £2 now that to me is good.

The game is ......Medal of Honor Allied Assault...War Chest.

cheers Ted
REAL OPPONENTS SEE THE BATTLE OUT TO THE END, WINNING OR LOSING
11-01-2008, 03:43 AM,
i actually collect old games, i like going through the bargain buckets just to see what i can find for under 5 pound, every now and again i come accross a gem. thats how i got into the ageod games, i found a copy of the first boa for 4.99 which led me to their site
12-06-2008, 03:28 AM,
I continue to kick myself every time I think of this, but I'll recount the tale anyway...

In 2003 I sold off my entire (Complete) ASL Collection. I had every module, most of which were unpunched that I had collected throughout college from garage sales out of the way hobby stores I'd drive hours to get to because they had Red Barricades or some craziness.

I had the annuals, journals, General magazines with content in them about ASL, action packs, etc. It was a truly massive collection in complete and perfect condition.

I sold it for.... $650.

At the time I was getting a good price. Nobody was really into ASL, VASSAL had just come around. The 2nd Edition stuff was only recently out and I think they had only done BV & the Rulebook at the time.

Now I look online...that same collection is going for $2500. That said..it probably would have cost me that much to continue moving that massive collection between apartments and then across country into my house!

It's always fun to look though because you never know when you might be getting in early on a great thing. I bought up the Civil War games from AH/MMP (Here come the Rebels!, Grant Takes Command, etc.) all very cheaply on E-Bay. I've sold them for a minimum of $75 bucks a pop so sometimes buying an selling on E-Bay can work on in your favor both ways!