• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Alamein: Invade Malta?
10-19-2008, 11:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-19-2008, 11:27 AM by Jazman.)
Alamein: Invade Malta?
Anyone played the campaign scenario where you get to decide whether or not to invade Malta? I'm interested in how things went.

I was playing as German (a year or two ago), with Explicit Supply on. I invaded Malta, lured by the mythical "extra supplies". What a mess it turned out to be. I ran out of supplies on the island (took too long to clear the island, and after some point no more supplies show up), and there was a stack of Brits in a bunker, and I just couldn't dislodge them. So there they sat for the rest of the game. The bigger problem was on the first day I was hit with a storm and my opponent pulled his Tobruk units in, and that was a mess cleaning it out.

Also, since it was the first big game I played with Explicity Supply on, I totally mismanaged that. It wasn't much of dash eastward after that.
Quote this message in a reply
10-20-2008, 08:45 AM,
RE: Alamein: Invade Malta?
Wait a minute, I've played the invasion of Malta scenario alone, but where is this option to, at the same time it appears, to do the invasion of Malta AND play out the El Alamein game?

Is this some non-standrad scenario?
10-20-2008, 08:49 AM,
Never mind, found it. Looks like a good scenario.
10-20-2008, 08:52 AM,
HirooOnoda Wrote:Never mind, found it. Looks like a good scenario.
Heh heh, it looked good to me, too. BTW, for those not in the know, it's a strategic option that pops up in the middle of the game.
10-20-2008, 09:11 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-20-2008, 09:12 AM by Tortue Agile.)
HirooOnoda Wrote:Wait a minute, I've played the invasion of Malta scenario alone, but where is this option to, at the same time it appears, to do the invasion of Malta AND play out the El Alamein game?

Is this some non-standrad scenario?

It's a standard scenario :
0619_01s: The Tobruk Stakes and the Race for Alamein

with strategic option. I did a multi with some friends at Campaigns-France.org a few years ago. We played with explicit supply. I was part of the German army and it was a fun scenario. We ended the game with Malta taken but the German army was exhausted and unable to outmaneuver the English, or I should say break their line of defense (infantry and a killing artillery).
Send this user an email
10-20-2008, 10:58 AM,
Jazman Wrote:lured by the mythical "extra supplies". wasn't much of dash eastward after that.

They are not "mythical" - if you select the SO to invaded Malta you will recieve 200 turcks worth of supplies, in the 26th of June 1942 - 100% arrival in the port of Tobruk - but you do have to take Tobruk to get the supplies.

The idea is the is or was considerable interdiction of supplies by sea because Malta or Malta based Aircraft spotted the traffic by sea. If Malta falls these extra supplies will be dispatched and will arrive in Tobruk. I suppose I could have brought them on the west map edge but I thought a drive to Alamein woud only take place after Tobruk falls.

The cost in points for taking the Island of Malt due to Axis Kills is up to you to figure if it is worth it. However the Malta only Scn, as far as I recall is exactly the same as taking this option so you can try it out in a small scn and see if you want to add it to your campaign.

Make no mistake - the extra supply is NOT MYTHICAL - but the cost for getting those truck may or may not be worth it to you in terms of Kills.

Up to you the player which is why it is an OPTION.

Glenn
Send this user an email
10-21-2008, 01:54 PM,
Glenn Saunders Wrote:
Jazman Wrote:lured by the mythical "extra supplies". wasn't much of dash eastward after that.

They are not "mythical" - if you select the SO to invaded Malta you will recieve 200 turcks worth of supplies, in the 26th of June 1942 - 100% arrival in the port of Tobruk - but you do have to take Tobruk to get the supplies.

I should have made more clear, I wasn't being critical of the game--as though I received no extra supplies--but of my own incompetence as a quartermaster. Whatever I was getting went into a blackhole, for sure. Naturally such incompetence made me susceptible to the lure of extra supplies which I would get by invading Malta, which didn't turn out too well. I never cleared it, and lost a lot of men (points) doing it.