• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

A little advice?
10-19-2008, 02:42 AM,
A little advice?
I'm thinking about dipping my toe into the Panzer Campaigns Series....Anybody have a suggestion of which title I might try first? I was looking at Bulge '44 and Market Garden '44 .......cheers
Quote this message in a reply
10-19-2008, 03:11 AM,
RE: A little advice?
I like the easten front battles,Kharkov, smolensk,moscow are good ones.[/u]
10-19-2008, 03:33 AM,
Well the best way is to pick out the title that interests you most and start there. They are all eventually upgraded to the latest engine advancements and I don't think there is a clunker in the bunch. Starting with a title that is most interesting to you will help insure your interest long enough to learn the game and get going.
10-19-2008, 05:35 AM,
It looks like you may have more interest in a title that has US units in it, at least as a start? If so then Normandy '44 and Bulge '44 are good starts. Sicily '43 would be good too.
Send this user an email
10-19-2008, 06:27 AM,
All good advice, as they say all the titles are patched to the same level so there are no "old" titles, as has been suggested it really helps if you start with a title that you have an interest in. ;)

Then play the AI with FOW off to get a feel of how the system works before you plunge into PBEM.
10-19-2008, 07:16 AM,
...after that play the AI with FOW on to get confident about your abilities, then play a human opponent and find out how much ability you really have.

To answer your original question, the guys are right in saying that you should first choose the campaign that interests you the most. However, Normandy and Sicily involve airborne landings and invasions that can be complex for a beginner. Market Garden also has an airborne landing that is kind of messy. Maybe you should start with a land campaign like France '40 or one of the Ostfront titles.

Personally, I also favor titles that have alternate scenarios designed by Ed Williams (Volcano Man). These have been done for most PzC games, but not all.
10-19-2008, 07:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-19-2008, 07:27 AM by alaric99x.)
One more comment - you can't go wrong with any of the PzC or Modern Campaign titles, they're all excellent.
10-19-2008, 08:17 AM,
Iwo Jim Wrote:I'm thinking about dipping my toe into the Panzer Campaigns Series....Anybody have a suggestion of which title I might try first? I was looking at Bulge '44 and Market Garden '44 .......cheers

I like to answer questions like this with an example illustration.

Without knowing anything about me or my tastes, how could you you recommend the best car to buy?

As the others said, pick a battle that interests you - that is do you like the west front like me, or are you one of those guys who thinks the war, the only real war was on the East Front?

Next - do you just LOVE monster sized games or do you find masses of units to be too overwhelming.

Personally I like the West and I like games which don't have too many units. In this respects Market Garden 44 has the smallest Map and a very manageable Campaign Scn in terms of length and number of counters.

But I also like Sicily '43 and while the Campaign is larger and longer, there are lots of Scns in there that are not too large. I don't find the invasion aspect too much really. However Normandy 44 is a HUGE game and it overwhelms me.

I would also recommend Alamein 42. Thisis a great game which has scns that have a lot of variables. Germands on Attack and Defense. Set piece attacks like 2nd Alamein and free wheeling fight like the chase across the desert. It also have a neat WHAT IF in MALTA.

But if your an East Front guy, the above doesn't matter. Minsk 44 is perhaps the best game vs the AI. But it really is completely up to you and your tastes.

Drop me a line by email if you have asshort list and we can talk about the pro's and con's of your short list and your tastes in games. I can even get you a copy of the designer notes from a couple titles to help you decide perhaps.

Glenn
[email protected]
Send this user an email
10-19-2008, 08:38 AM,
This is what they call 'customer service', me thinks... Well done, Glenn! :cool2:
Send this user an email