• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Suggestions for good war movies
10-18-2008, 05:13 PM,
RE: Suggestions for good war movies
I can't quite remember but I beilieve the movie is called ZULU, South Africa Brits. Roarkes Drift.
Quote this message in a reply
10-19-2008, 04:03 AM,
Contra Wrote:Passchendaele is coming out on theatres this weekend.

It looks good, Canadian made just outside Calgary. I am even thinking of going to the theater to see it, even though out "new" theater is only stereo. Who the hell builds a modern theater without surround! Hey, we saved 50 cents.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
10-19-2008, 04:04 AM,
Volker Wrote:I can't quite remember but I beilieve the movie is called ZULU, South Africa Brits. Roarkes Drift.

Got that one, excellent movie. Michael Cane's first roll if I am not mistaken (first major role anyway).
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
10-19-2008, 05:26 AM,
Some of the best ones: Paths of Glory, Das Boot, The Winter War, Thin Red Line, Cross of Iron, Stalingrad....

Some of the Bad ones: Enemy at the Gates, Saving Private Ryan, U-571, The Lost Battalion....
10-19-2008, 10:18 AM,
Die Brücke. Good movie and an oldie (1956 if I remember correctly).
10-19-2008, 05:24 PM,
Narwan Wrote:Die Brücke. Good movie and an oldie (1956 if I remember correctly).

I have seen also a remake of that on german TV. Quite good, only the performance of the actors playing the american G.I.'s was strange. It was like I would play them and I do not have a clue about acting. :)

Cheers
Michael
10-19-2008, 10:17 PM,
Hehe, so like german soldiers usually behave in american war movies (like SPR)? :whis:
10-19-2008, 11:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-19-2008, 11:31 PM by animal mother.)
Narwan Wrote:Hehe, so like german soldiers usually behave in american war movies (like SPR)? :whis:

Not exactly. In SPR, the Germans were only targets for Cpt. Miller and the rest of the guys :). Here, it was what they were saying, how they were saying it. I did not see american soldiers how they behaved in combat in WW2, but I cannot believe they behaved like that: banal sentences with exaggerated accent. The movie itself was good and the goal was not to depict realistic combat behaviour but that part was so miserable that i had remembered it. Anyway, I do not want write more about it. This thread is about movie suggestions, not movie review. Big Grin

Cheers
Michael
10-20-2008, 01:25 AM,
Deadeye Wrote:I'm sure you've seen it already but I have to mention Band of Brothers - Not a movie per se, but a good mini-series.

Deadeye

Continuation of this serial about war in Pacific region will soon make ?
Send this user an email
10-20-2008, 04:41 AM,
animal mother Wrote:
Narwan Wrote:Hehe, so like german soldiers usually behave in american war movies (like SPR)? :whis:

Not exactly. In SPR, the Germans were only targets for Cpt. Miller and the rest of the guys :). Here, it was what they were saying, how they were saying it. I did not see american soldiers how they behaved in combat in WW2, but I cannot believe they behaved like that: banal sentences with exaggerated accent. The movie itself was good and the goal was not to depict realistic combat behaviour but that part was so miserable that i had remembered it. Anyway, I do not want write more about it. This thread is about movie suggestions, not movie review. Big Grin

Cheers
Michael

Ever see the television series COMBAT? It was interesting and I enjoyed watching it, but one thing I noticed is that the Germans were "dumb". By this I mean they would have the Americans pinned down while they were behind excellent cover. Well what do you do when you are winning the fight?, get up and run around in front of the enemy to worse cover of course. German's running out of trenches, bunkers, etc etc. And then there was the ever popular hiding behind a bush. Bushes are known for their ability to stop bullets.