• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Suggestions for good war movies
10-17-2008, 01:56 PM,
RE: Suggestions for good war movies
While searching for movies I came across this write up for the series "The War Of 1812"

"Only 30 years after gaining independence, the upstart United States found itself once again battling Great Britain. Pitted against the world's most powerful nation, victory seemed unlikely. But Andrew Jackson's brilliant leadership, a lone sniper, and one of the most lopsided victories in military history turned the tide of the war. The History Channel presents The War Of 1812 is the authoritative chronicle of one of America's most defining moments."

What is the lopsided victory they speak of here? What brilliant leadership? Every time the US marched across the boarder they were defeated. While the UK boys did little better, at least they did capture Washington and burn it before heading back to Canada.

I had one of my US opponents say to me one time during a game in regards to the war of 1812 "I thought we won that war". My reply to him was simple and to the point "the why isn't Canada part of the US?".
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
Quote this message in a reply
10-17-2008, 03:06 PM,
Weasel Wrote:While searching for movies I came across this write up for the series "The War Of 1812"

"Only 30 years after gaining independence, the upstart United States found itself once again battling Great Britain. Pitted against the world's most powerful nation, victory seemed unlikely. But Andrew Jackson's brilliant leadership, a lone sniper, and one of the most lopsided victories in military history turned the tide of the war. The History Channel presents The War Of 1812 is the authoritative chronicle of one of America's most defining moments."

What is the lopsided victory they speak of here? What brilliant leadership? Every time the US marched across the boarder they were defeated. While the UK boys did little better, at least they did capture Washington and burn it before heading back to Canada.

I had one of my US opponents say to me one time during a game in regards to the war of 1812 "I thought we won that war". My reply to him was simple and to the point "the why isn't Canada part of the US?".

The "lopsided victory" has to be the Battle of New Orleans, which did see the underdog U.S. forces inflict high losses on the British. The "sniper" was a U.S. skirmisher who KO'ed the UK's General Ross.

As for "winning" the war, eh, we certainly had to drop our grand designs on the land of polar bears and gravy-slathered fries. On the other hand, we gained a little respect from the British and the war considerably hardened our national identity.

Now, does anyone here know how many years it took before after 1812 before British and American forces would finally fight side by side?

-- 30 --
10-17-2008, 03:53 PM,
tae guk gi is very good

if you look for an old movie, how about a bridge too far .... if I can remember the title correctly (checked and yes, that's the one, from 1977)
Vesku

[Image: Medals50_thumb8.gif]
10-17-2008, 04:15 PM,
I'm sure you've seen it already but I have to mention Band of Brothers - Not a movie per se, but a good mini-series.

Deadeye
[Image: FARibbon.jpg]
10-17-2008, 04:58 PM,
Weasel Wrote:
PzHeinZ Wrote:I could recommend a Finnish war movie Talvisota (The Winter War) made in 1989 (so not sure if it goes to your definition of "old type"...)and directed by Pekka Parikka. IMO by far the best Finnish war movie with no love stories at all.....I´m afraid though it might be hard to find where you live but worth a try.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talvisota_(film)

PzHeinZ

Yep got that one, although I will admit I fast forward past all the stuff at the start (home life stuff) and when he goes on leave.

Thanks

Yeah I forgot there were a few tender moments in the middle, it has been so long I last saw it.... I´d probably FF those moments Paavo gives his girlfriend some sweet lovin´ :)
10-17-2008, 06:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-17-2008, 06:41 PM by animal mother.)
Weasel Wrote:
Panzer VI Wrote:Saving Private Ryan

Now if there is someone out there who plays war games that does not own SPR then I would be shocked.

BTW - anyone else want to shoot Upham (whatever his name was) when he just sat crying in the stairwell when his buddy was being bayoneted? UGH.

Thanks

I do play war games but do not own SPR. Are You shocked now? Big Grin

Cheers
Michael
10-17-2008, 10:14 PM,
animal mother Wrote:I do play war games but do not own SPR. Are You shocked now? Big Grin

I'll go one further. The only war film I own: "The Thin Red Line." I'd argue that, for a certain kind of man, it's the most dead-on representation you'll find.

-- 30 --
10-17-2008, 10:25 PM,
I fell asleep in the theater watching that, the only time that has happened to me.
Vesku

[Image: Medals50_thumb8.gif]
10-18-2008, 01:46 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-18-2008, 01:47 AM by seabolt.)
Sleep would be among the more gentle feedback. Obviously, a lot of people loathed the movie.

Having read the book, and being inclined to consider "From Here to Eternity" as 10 times the work of art that "The Naked and the Dead" was, I found TTRL to be a brave attempt at interpreting James Jones' experience.

-- 30 --
10-18-2008, 02:08 AM,
I loved TTRL, I thought it was brilliant. So chaotic, so confusing at times and so fast but on the other hand often tranquil, laidback and ... well ... sleepy gave it that sense what you hear war is about; long periods of boredom and tranquility with short bursts of sheer terror.

Hated SPR btw way and I doubt I will ever own it.

Narwan