• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Spww2 arty
10-09-2008, 08:40 PM,
Spww2 arty
It would be nice to know when artillery actually hits. What I mean is that in sph2h, you see arty hits if .02 or less as it occurs at the end of the firing sides round. In spww2, you do not see unil replay occurs on following turn.
So, anything that would normally strike at beginning of oppoents turn is lumped into replay that would include strikes at end of opponents turn. Therefore, opponent may have moved units during turn that would negate accuracy of strike at beginning of turn. So, how do I know if it hits at beginning of turn...it sure seems like I am missing a lot of beginning of turn strikes. (if this makes sense, you must be working either as an attorney, or state department official, or politician ;) )
Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2008, 09:56 PM,
RE: Spww2 arty
From 0.0 to 0.5 lands shells at the end of opponents turn.
Vesku

[Image: Medals50_thumb8.gif]
10-09-2008, 10:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-09-2008, 10:29 PM by Cross.)
IIRC SPWW2 changed it's artillery strikes (a few years ago) from end of your turn (beginning of opponents turn) to end of opponents turn.

I think the original process was considered too gamey, because you could easily adjust arty to fall right on top of fast moving enemy vehicles.

In the new process SPWW2 arty ONLY falls after your opponent has moved. Much more realistic IMHO, because you have to anticipate enemy movement just like IRL.

The 0.0 to 0.5 just changes the amount of shells your guns will have the time to fire. So 0.0 guns will fire a full barrage, 0.5 guns will only have time to fire a couple of rounds.
10-10-2008, 12:35 AM,
Hi Guys
I cannot remember ever seeing my arty fall at the end of my turn, even back in the old days of DOS SPI, II and III.
Maybe I remember incorrectly.

I do not play any WAW series games at all so my perspective is biased I guess.
However...I have no problem at all with seeing my arty land at the end of my opponent's turn.
It makes calling in arty a very delicate skill.
You shouldn't be able to chase fast moving units around with arty (I guess WAW style) but if you can hit some 'on the move' units in SPCAMO style...you are a master FOO Big Grin

Cheers
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
10-10-2008, 12:54 AM,
I found it in the game guide, but I think I was wrong about it happening a year or two ago, the change may have occurred as much as 6 or 7 years ago. How time flies...

Quote:

The artillery routine was completely revised and these changes were carried into WinSPWW2 and WinSPMBT right from the start.

Your artillery fire now lands at the end of the enemy player turn, as opposed to SP2 where it landed at the end of your turn, thus allowing your opponent to rally away the suppressive effects. You can now take advantage of your artillery's neutralising effects properly.

This means predicting where the enemy will be when the shells arrive is a much more challenging procedure than has been the case in the past. You will no longer be able to simply shift fire a hex or two and have your artillery land right after you press the end turn button.

This is a MUCH fairer system for both sides and better reflects "reality" where orders from the front lines had to be passed on to the gun troop commander who then passed the correction onto the gun crews who then adjusted their fire to new co-ordinates.

This was not something done in a minute or two and this new system reflects that. The change takes a game or two to get used to but once you have played this way you will agree it is a better system than what was in place in the past. As well, guns that have high turn delay ( such as .05 ) will deliver fewer shells on target than if the delay was .00
10-10-2008, 03:37 AM,
Ive played the game since DOS version 4 and back then it already landed at the end of the opponents turn. How far before that it was introduced/changed I'm not sure but if I remember correctly it was very early in the life of SPWW2 DOS.

It's a deliberate choice as it is considered very unrealisitic to be able to target (moving) enemy units with the accuraccy that would come with having the rounds land at then end of your own turn. The enemy will always have a move turnin which his units could displace. It makes managing arty much more the 'art' it is in real life.

Narwan