• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Vista Help Section?
03-30-2009, 06:36 AM,
Vista Help Section?
Where is the Vista Help Section located? Thanks in advance.....
"Never put off till tomorrow what you can avoid doing entirely."
Quote this message in a reply
03-31-2009, 10:19 AM,
RE: Vista / CM
Okay, nobody responded, but I finally found the Search option here, and looked for Vista, and found a ''million'' options, all confusing to me.

An old (now distant) neighbor of mine, Kragkcn (also here at Blitz), gave me some simple tips, and I had 2 out of 3 games loaded within 30 minutes.

Bottom Line:

There seems to be a lot of confusing ways to make CM and Vista work. But I think if you buy a machine off the store shelf (and didn't have it built by somebody piece by piece) it is easier to make old games work with Vista, following their actually pretty easy steps.

I have encountered some problems with AK, but BO and BB loaded very easily, including all 3 patches for BB.

Control Panel
Additional Options
How to Install Programs
Make Older Programs Run
Open Program Compatibility Wizard
load from CD ROM
XP
256 colors
Run as Administrator
etc. etc.

Just do NOT save/load to Program Files, or PBEM will not work for some reason.

Save/Load to any other location. I chose Desktop, and then dragged all the game files to a new folder there, which I will re-locate later.

Bottom line again, I am up and running with BO and BB right now. I may have to tinker more with AK later...but it all worked rather easily!

I hope this message gets loaded to some sort of Vista Help Center eventually. Because CM can definitely work well on Vista! And I am certainly no computer whiz-kid!~haha

cheers
03-31-2009, 01:28 PM,
RE: Vista Help Section?
Thanks for the update, I'm sure that someone will find it usefull.
04-01-2009, 01:24 AM,
We really need to sticky this thread as more and more players switch to Vista and encounter various problems (damn you Battlefront for turning your back on the CMx1 games :mad: ).
04-02-2009, 11:43 AM,
Regarding CMAK w/Vista
I apologize for bumping this up to the top again, but I wanted to add my follow-up regarding loading CMAK to Vista--and this will be my last addition to this thread. BO and BB loaded fine, using steps mentioned before. But it seems AK will never play on my new computer.

A note from my pc technician:
I do not have the exact page handy, but it boils down to anyone using the new DirectX 10 based Nvidia cards will be unable to play the game [CMAK]. It wasn’t really a Vista issue because an “older” Nvidia card that is not DirectX 10 based would apparently allow the game to work with Vista if installed.

Anyway, I am happy to have BO and BB still operating. But it seems the clock is slowly running out on CM, unless you down-grade a new computer, or keep an old XP computer around. My old XP just sort of burned out in place, so I had no other realistic options myself.... Cry
04-02-2009, 01:27 PM,
I am using direct X 10 on my Dell PC and AK, BB, BO run fine. I had to go to an older video driver, that is all. I do have an ATI card, but I wonder if that would work for your graphics card.
04-02-2009, 06:36 PM,
I had to disable one of the security controls to get CMBB to play properly, after that all three games run just fine.

I do have one odd problem -- Vista refuses to model fog on my machine, so any game with fog I don't actually see the fog, I just have reduced visibility.
"A bad plan is still better than no plan at all." -- Mikhail Tal

[Image: pzV.jpg]
04-03-2009, 12:39 AM,
This thread has been moved to "technical help"...
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift